Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why not Board BS, A+, and A before preboards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not Board BS, A+, and A before preboards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by often1
simple answer to op's question is that this is required by us law. Period.

The entire debate about whether there are passengers who abuse us law and the way it is administered at wn because wn does not assign seats has been covered in at least 50 threads and really has been beaten to death.
amen to that brother!
moondog and rickg523 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
You could always book on an airline with an assigned seat if getting that bulkhead spot is important to you.
Even then, the airline can and will reassign your seat if they need it for a special needs passenger.

I was a regular in seat 7D (bulkhead in Y) on the AA Mad Dogs for several years. A couple times a year, the GA would call me up and quietly swap my 7D for a comp upgrade even when I had not requested one and she hadn't started working the upgrades yet. It was inevitably to reassign a disabled person to 7D.

It was a kinder, gentler travel world then and I was Platinum. If it happened today, I imagine my new seat assignment would be moving backwards, not forward. It's a slim risk of booking bulkhead, not enough to prevent me from selecting that seat if I can, but I know getting bumped out of it is possible.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by joshua362
Apparently you've never been on WN's (frequent) "Miracle" flights. Even the FA's openly joke about them when their pleas for wheelchair pre*boarders to remain seated are ignored.
M

My wife uses wheelchair assistance because walking is not nearly as much of an issue for her as standing for an extended period of time in security.

It was funny, a couple of years ago after a follow up visit at Johns Hopkins following one of her two spinal surgeries she walked back to the parking garage with me using a walker (I had dropper her off). When the elevator opened in the parking garage and she recognized our SUV she pushed her walker aside and dashed over to the car. I stood there staring at her walker next to the elevator door yelling "Its a miracle - I don't need my walker anymore!". It was so instinctive to her she didn't even realize what she did.

So when you see her pre-board and then walk off the plane it is a miracle - of modern medicine.
wrp96 and Unionruler like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:53 pm

I can't walk and need an aisle chair to get to my seat on every airline except Southwest. My travel manual chair fits through the door of the plane and is able to turn the corner so that my spouse can lift and transfer me from my chair to the aisle bulkhead seat on the left hand side when facing the back of the airplane.

It is much safer for me to not have to transfer twice (from my wheelchair to an aisle chair and then from the aisle chair to the airplane seat). As to boarding first...that works well for the flight crew, as it takes much less time for me to get in my seat than having to use an aisle chair. Plus aisle chairs are narrow and if the plane is full of people, I am going to end up bumping into those people as I am pushed down the aisle of the airplane. Unfortunately, aisle chairs don't push perfectly straight.

I am also always the last one off the flight, as I need to wait until the plane has emptied and my spouse has put my wheelchair back together so we can reverse the order of the way that I board. I hate bulkhead seats, as I love having my stuff underneath the seat in front of me. Unfortunately, the bulkhead seat is the fastest, safest seat for me on Southwest, so that is where I end up.

On other airlines, I am usually assigned the bulkhead (unless it is also an exit row). That's because I can't get up to let the person in the window seat out and the bulkhead gives them more space to maneuver. And the most people I've ever seen preboard has been six (two couples and two people traveling alone). Since I'm first on the plane, it's pretty easy for me to count the number of preboards.
jmw, justhere and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by argolfer
My wife has epilepsy. She knows from experience that she needs to sit up front and near a window or the motion as we pull back from the gate and taxi will set off episodes for her. She looks fine as she boards. It kills her to know that people are thinking the worst. Sometimes people glare at her.

Truth be told, she’d be happy boarding with me (A-List) but it’s really early or nothing for her.

She only travels a few times a year because of this. The point of all this is to say: I get it and hear you, but try to assume the best. It won’t make you any happier to go on assuming the worst. 🤷.
Positive thoughts for your wife and her condition. If she is uncomfortable with what others are thinking, how about this.

Since you are A-list, you could board somewhat early, and take a window seat towards the front. Then (God help me for saying this) - you can save a middle seat for her. Nobody wants those anyways. Then when she arrives, she can have the window and you take the middle. Would that work?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Since you are A-list, you could board somewhat early, and take a window seat towards the front. Then (God help me for saying this) - you can save a middle seat for her. Nobody wants those anyways. Then when she arrives, she can have the window and you take the middle. Would that work?
She preboards with a disability and he is her companion - unless I missed something.

Why a need for any intrigue and strategizing?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Not everyone in a wheelchair sits in the bulkhead. I was recently on a flight with 6 wheelchairs. When I preboarded after them as a COS the entire bulkhead was available.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
She preboards with a disability and he is her companion - unless I missed something.

Why a need for any intrigue and strategizing?

My bad... made some poor assumptions.

(second time in 64 years)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:18 am

I'd like to weigh in as someone who occasionally pre-boards. I have cancer and late stage Lyme disease. Both are invisible, and regardless of how I feel, I usually look
hale and hearty; and perfectly healthy. I only use pre-boards on bad days, but on those days, they are necessary. I'm one of those healthy looking people pre-boarding.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by RedInVegas
I'd like to weigh in as someone who occasionally pre-boards. I have cancer and late stage Lyme disease. Both are invisible, and regardless of how I feel, I usually look
hale and hearty; and perfectly healthy. I only use pre-boards on bad days, but on those days, they are necessary. I'm one of those healthy looking people pre-boarding.
The airline cannot inquire into your disability. But usually - not always - you're expected to interact with an agent beforehand. The procedure, as of 2017:

When a Customer requests to preboard, our Employees will ask 1) do you need assistance boarding the aircraft? and/or 2) do you have a specific seating need to accommodate your disability? If the answer to either question is yes, we must allow the Customer to preboard and we are only able to use these parameters to ascertain the legitimacy of a Customer's preboarding request.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:17 am

I don't think the gate agents actually inquire very much, I see people all of the time who do not need help boarding and apparently just sit where they want to.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
As others have noted, having an assigned bulkhead seat means exactly nothing. It has always been and is still subject to re-seating due to the needs of disabled passengers. I know quite a few people that are elites on DL, AA, etc that don't reserve the bulkhead for this exact reason.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't think the gate agents actually inquire very much, I see people all of the time who do not need help boarding and apparently just sit where they want to.

"Sit where they want to" = have a specific seating need.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
"Sit where they want to" = have a specific seating need.
The word is "need" not "want" they aren't equal. I think may of the pre-boarders have a disability only in their heads.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The word is "need" not "want" they aren't equal. I think may of the pre-boarders have a disability only in their heads.
My point was that the gate agents inquire as much as they are allowed to, and that people who "just sit where they want to" likely qualified for preboarding because they stated a need for a specific seat. Which then allowed them to "just sit where they want to."

I would think this obvious.

I would also think that people would have learned by now the folly in diagnosing others' disability by sight. But I'd apparently be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.