Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged for drink... TWO hours later?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Charged for drink... TWO hours later?

The title says it all. To me this is very inappropriate. If you are going to charge, do so at the time of sale like every other airline (preferably) or, if you can't do that, charge shortly thereafter (and let the pax know you'll be right back to collect payment)... in my case the FA (who had passed my seat probably a half dozen times during the flight, and spent at least a good hour+ sitting in the back) showed up at my seat 20 minutes before we landed, and two hours after I got my cup of wine, with her card reader demanding payment. I assumed drinks were free because we were running 25 minutes late, and when I mentioned this to her, she said we weren't THAT late. Very off-putting to say the least.

Is this yet another common, yet back-assward WN practice?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I've had it happen before. Never thought much of it. If I order a drink I expect to pay for it.
dddc, jmw, Tanic and 21 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:18 pm

Sounds like a long flight, with possibly two drink services? That's pretty much how they do it now, take your orders, provide you with the drinks you ordered, collect payment later on, possibly very close to landing, charge you once for any/all drinks you may have ordered.
njf1003, Tanic and CA1900 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not *that* unusual. I don't mind paying once at the end of a flight if I've had 2 drinks.

I've never expected free drinks because of very minor delays. Sometimes gotten them, but I don't expect it.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Have to be at least an hour late for "First round on Gary" anyway.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Sounds like you have unrealistic expectation of getting away with a free drink. Where were you going?

They almost always come back later for payment...better than slowing down the entire process for everyone while you fumble for your credit card and I have yet be served...and just like at a bar, they will close out the "tab" later in case you make multiple purchases. There is not time expiration on being liable for a purchase you made.

Are you put off when the bartender expects payment before you leave vs at every drink order as well?

You assumed wrong.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:58 pm

If anything, this process improves the chance of getting free drinks, in the event the FAs are tied up at the end of the flight
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:14 pm

Hey, at least the F/A didn't charge you for the drink earlier and bring it to you two hours later, right before landing!

I'd have a problem with that!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have seen this happen often. Not always two hours, but sometimes.

I am thinking they wait to see if you are going to get more drinks.

Based on the last half dozen flights or so, the days of free drinks are getting thin. Every time we fly, they ask if I am going to use a credit card or coupons when they take the order.

Waiting two hours... no big deal. Most bars do not collect until you are ready to leave either.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:50 pm

Lighten up, Francis. You ordered a drink...you paid for it. If this is truly upsetting to you, I envy your lack of significant things to worry about.
Goaguy and jjbiv like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

It's happened to me once before. FA thought I was going to have two drinks, plus it was on the way to Cancun a few months ago.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
This practice would be very helpful for any overseas travellers who get stung with credit/debit card fees when abroad. Some cards here charge a flat £3 fee on top of the 2.9% commission per transaction. (Smart travellers don't use those ones of course!) So one transaction instead of 2 saves the pax £3 in this case. May actually save the company too! Less receipts issued mean less paper wasted etc.
Goaguy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Has been more frequently like this for the past year or so for me. I was surprised the first time it happened as I too thought I was getting a free drink - mine was more like 4 hours too, as it had been a 5 hour flight and I got my drink during the first service.

I always go in with the intent to pay (or give coupon) but I rarely offer without being asked for payment.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:49 pm

I used to have a related complaint, when charges would be put through well after the flight - sometimes days after, making it a little difficult to be completely sure that I hadn't been double charged. Even that was a simple annoyance, the sort of thing I'd post on one of the 'random and pathetic' rant threads in other forum . This complaint takes out to another level, imo.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:17 pm

I think it’s kind of nice to only charge you when you’re done, like a restaurant. Not sure why this is a problem tbh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.