Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to cancel internat'l flights booked with points & companion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

We booked a trip to Mexico using points and adding a companion. Paid a total of about $90 each because of taxes. Now that we're canceling the trip, I'd really like the $ refunded instead of going to travel funds. I know this is supposed to happen for the point ticket, but what about the companion ticket? Should I do it online or call in?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:26 am

What does it say when you try to cancel?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:08 pm

I book Mexico flights with points, with a companion, and have cancelled them online with fees/taxes going back to the credit card. What makes you think differently?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I book Mexico flights with points, with a companion, and have cancelled them online with fees/taxes going back to the credit card. What makes you think differently?
I knew that the $ should be refundable on the points reservation, but wasn't sure if the companion was technically not a points reservation.
Originally Posted by synk
What does it say when you try to cancel?
I started the process and now see that "request a refund" is an option.

Thanks both for the replies.

Side note: Southwest is really great. We almost booked our return on an American flight because it was a better schedule and not an expensive flight. But 2 days after we booked this trip, something urgent came up. So glad we booked Southwest, as we'd have had to throw away the American tickets (change fee would exceed the value of the ticket).
Tanic and cmx like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

After you click cancel, the next screen will have a drop down you can select that defaults to “travel funds”. When you select the drop down, you should be able to change it to “refund to credit card” (or something like that). Cancel your companion first like normal, than do the same for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.