Flight track BWI-SAN

Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Flight track BWI-SAN

Looking at flight track WN 2525 BWI-SAN flying over NE Ohio why would it not go southwest after leaving BWI seems like a more direct line.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Looking at flight track WN 2525 BWI-SAN flying over NE Ohio why would it not go southwest after leaving BWI seems like a more direct line.
Damned if I know.

Tanic, tusphotog and kennycrudup like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am going to guess the weather. If you zoom out on that pic, you can see some more bad weather to the south.

Shows similar path on Flightaware
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
A normal BWI-SAN route would cross over central to south-central Ohio on the way out, going over Wheeling WV and near Columbus OH and it would look like it departs directly west from BWI. So NE Ohio was likely a weather or traffic diversion as was speculated before.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I would have preferred to shoot the gap over Indianapolis ala the movie "Flight" but perhaps the radar image was outdated. I'm sure they knew what they were doing...
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:44 am

The Jet stream flows generally from West to East but can move up or down as it tracks. On that date it may have been flowing against the more normal great circle route (great circle is the shortest route with curvature of the Earth Great Circle Mapper). Sometimes flying a ton more miles saves more fuel and time than bucking a 125+ knot headwind. SAN-BWI OTOH would want to take advantage of it.saving fuel and time. I can't find a source for past jetstream maps there's probably one out there somewhere.

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/wind/jet-stream
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:58 am

You bring up a good point that's a busy time of day there may have been ATC flow control for a storm line that long. Keep filing flight plans until they accept one without delay? But I'm going with my first guess avoiding jetstream since the flight arrived ontime or rather 10 minutes late which is DOT ontime. Hit that 15 min mark and it's late.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Yeah, interestingly enough the flight time wasn't much longer than other "standard" BWI-SAN flights.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

It would not go Southwest on Southwest cause then a fee is charged. LOL
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Flythefuture
You bring up a good point that's a busy time of day there may have been ATC flow control for a storm line that long. Keep filing flight plans until they accept one without delay? But I'm going with my first guess avoiding jetstream since the flight arrived ontime or rather 10 minutes late which is DOT ontime. Hit that 15 min mark and it's late.
Ahh I just love fliow control it's how I use up my drink vouchers Then the flow continues as the Jet Strem slows down my flow in the forward lav .Releif at last!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
Ahh I just love fliow control it's how I use up my drink vouchers Then the flow continues as the Jet Strem slows down my flow in the forward lav .Releif at last!
Was that supposed to be humorous?
tusphotog likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Was that supposed to be humorous?
Yes LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.