Southwest closing Newark.

Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by diver858
AS shares the EWR satellite with WN, has significantly increased transcon service to most of their west coast focus cities over the past couple of years, could see them adding EWR-DAL. Wondering how much their presence influenced the subject decision.

B6 already has some EWR service, out of a different terminal. Their NYC hub is JFK.
Is that untrue? I thought Alaska used A3 concourse and Southwest used the A1 concourse.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:22 pm

It doesn't seem like AS would want to add anything not touching a west coast hub. It pretty much already has six cities from the west coast to EWR. It doesn't have OAK-EWR but OAK-EWR sounds more like a route jetBlue would consider as a red-eye.

On AS at DAL: I saw some low fares like $105 and $120 one-way on DAL-SEA just less than two weeks out (August 5th), in the peak summer. Not sure how AS is making money at DAL, on those flights if fares are rock bottom so short in, and it's to SEA, it's primary hub. If WN can close EWR for under performance, maybe the news will give AS the justification to cut one of its under performing stations.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beyondhere
It doesn't seem like AS would want to add anything not touching a west coast hub. It pretty much already has six cities from the west coast to EWR. It doesn't have OAK-EWR but OAK-EWR sounds more like a route jetBlue would consider as a red-eye.

On AS at DAL: I saw some low fares like $105 and $120 one-way on DAL-SEA just less than two weeks out (August 5th), in the peak summer. Not sure how AS is making money at DAL, on those flights if fares are rock bottom so short in, and it's to SEA, it's primary hub. If WN can close EWR for under performance, maybe the news will give AS the justification to cut one of its under performing stations.
1. AS is typically not been shy about cutting under-performing routes.
2. Much of AS' DAL service - including DAL-SEA - is on a Skywest E175, which have a much lower CASM than WN's (or AS') 737's. I also doubt that every passenger pays such low fares.
3. I had a business trip earlier this year, with stops in both Dallas and NYC, flew AS SAN-DAL, then DAL-LGA, EWR-SAN. LGA is currently a nightmare, would have preferred DAL-EWR, expect there are others who feel the same way.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The airport is so congested, everthing totally falls apart during weather events not a big loss. Use LGA as a alternate.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diver858
2. Much of AS' DAL service - including DAL-SEA - is on a Skywest E175, which have a much lower CASM than WN's (or AS') 737's. I also doubt that every passenger pays such low fares.
The trip cost of the E175 is undoubtedly lower, but the CASM is almost certainly higher.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Not sure how AS is making money at DAL, on those flights if fares are rock bottom so short in, and it's to SEA, it's primary hub.
They aren't.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The airport is so congested, everthing totally falls apart during weather events not a big loss. Use LGA as a alternate.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/travel/...-airlines#nogo scroll down to NYC "Fly AS and Avoid B6"
AS on average is 9 mins late out of LGA, 11 mins out of EWR; WN is 18 mins out of LGA, 19 mins out of EWR. Ground transportation, general access to LGA is a nightmare for anyone headed to Manhattan, NJ, as are rental car facilities; EWR is MUCH more convenient, efficient.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ryw
I suppose I haven't really helped their business there - as a frequent OAK passenger, I was really happy to have service to EWR...though I never ended up actually using it, preferring to take B6 or DL (from SFO) to the NYC area for transcon flights. (Here's hoping that Delta gets the EWR gates!)

I don't suppose this means that more service will go back to ISP? (Or new service to one the other secondary airports...)
I also would have like to support the OAK-EWR route but it was so sporadic. It was only regular daily for a ~year and even then it seemed like times I would look for it it wouldn't be there. Eastbound with a normal morning departure from OAK would have been fine; the reverse is a lonnng time to spend in a WN 737 however.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:22 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Once again Southwest is proving they are a west coast airline. I live on the east coast and Hawaii flights are of no use to me. Once my companion pass expires I'll be done for good.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
HOU-EWR was my preferred way of going to New York back when that route was still around. Ever since they dropped that I have gone via LGA and while the terminal has improved significantly in the last year the ground transport to or from LGA is still a massive pain the rear.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The MAX and EWR are not related at all. People just conflated the two issues since WN mentioned both in relation to their earnings announcement. Will be interesting to see who gets those gates.
I think I heard a quote from GK on NPR this morning doing just that.
From an AP story:
Southwest Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly said closing Newark is “a tactical decision forced by the Max groundings.” He said Southwest needs its remaining planes elsewhere.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:09 pm

Dupe;
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I highly doubt it's a Max issue. I'm sure WN could strike a deal with Boeing to bring in non Max planes or find some used 7 or 800s to protect profitable routes.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
I highly doubt it's a Max issue. I'm sure WN could strike a deal with Boeing to bring in non Max planes or find some used 7 or 800s to protect profitable routes.
A couple of years ago Southwest was buying up or leasing pretty much every 700 on the market. I was tracking ti and they were averaging 4-5 a month. I doubt that many are still available but I haven't seen them doing that lately.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 26, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Michael El
...but that would be insane to do to operate flights that are losing loads of money. It is obviously cheaper to reallocate capacity temporarily by shutting down a failing station than to add extra maintenance costs for older planes and then also lose money on the flights those planes are flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.