Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest closing Newark.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
What routes did Southwest fly from EWR?
Austin, Baltimore, Chicago-Midway, Denver, Nashville, Oakland, Orlando, Phoenix-Sky Harbor, San Diego (Seasonal), and St. Louis.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
From the press release with earnings, even though the MAX Update page says November.

"Based on the most recent guidance from Boeing, we currently are assuming regulatory approval of MAX return to service during fourth quarter 2019. With this in mind, we will proactively extend the MAX-related flight schedule adjustments through January 5, 2020
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The MAX and EWR are not related at all. People just conflated the two issues since WN mentioned both in relation to their earnings announcement. Will be interesting to see who gets those gates.
Valid or not, the Southwest press release specifically ties them together:

"Based on the extensive delays in returning the MAX to service, we expect that annual 2019 ASMs will now decrease in the 1 to 2 percent range, year-over-year, compared with our original 2019 plan to grow capacity nearly 5 percent, year-over-year. As such, we are taking necessary steps to mitigate damages and optimize our aircraft and resources. We will cease operations at Newark Liberty International Airport and consolidate our New York City presence at New York LaGuardia Airport, effective November 3, 2019. The financial results at Newark have been below expectations, despite the efforts of our excellent Team at Newark.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ave1024
A few west coast destinations that we now don't have access to from LGA. Phoenix, San Diego and Oakland (I think)
No, they don't. Only for EWR to PHX, SAN, OAK. LGA is still on perimeter restrictions.

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
What routes did Southwest fly from EWR?
Yes, they do. They flies PHX, ATL, SAN, ATL, MDW, DEN and a few other specific routes, as well.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, they don't. Only for EWR to PHX, SAN, OAK. LGA is still on perimeter restrictions.

Yes, they do. They flies PHX, ATL, SAN, ATL, MDW, DEN and a few other specific routes, as well.
They do not fly EWR-ATL
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:58 pm
sfp

Fyi, I had nonstop OAK-EWR tickets for the week around Thanksgiving (+companion), however they let me book into LGA (obviously not nonstop) and waived the fare difference.

Last edited by sfp; Jul 25, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sfp
Fyi, I had nonstop OAK-EWR tickets for the week around Thanksgiving (+companion), however they let me book into LGA (obviously non-stop) and waived the fare difference.
As well they should, if they want to keep their loyal customers.
drooley likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sfp
Fyi, I had nonstop OAK-EWR tickets for the week around Thanksgiving (+companion), however they let me book into LGA (obviously non-stop) and waived the fare difference.
I assume you mean not non stop.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:51 pm
sfp

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

I assume you mean not non stop.
Yes!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Wasn't Southwest given EWR gates in exchange for the merger between Continental and United to help stop the monopoly of UA?

That's so 2011.
Hopefully the gates don't go to UA.

JetBlue would be good replacement as the airline using the gates. I could see it adding EWR-AUS. And then, some longer flights like PHX and maybe DFW but I guess those two would be less likely but increasing Florida/ Carribean service more likely. I think JetBlue is more focused on BOS, but it does have a inclination to attract NY market travelers, and EWR is a major NYC airport - albeit in NJ.

Other guesses would be the ULCCs. More Spirit. Probably more likely than more JetBlue, although the feel would be like a nice but struggling grocery store closing in your neighborhood and it's filled with a dollar store and discount store.

Maybe Frontier would considering swapping, selling it's LGA slots to Southwest while opening EWR, with DEN ATL and some of the midwest cities that Southwest had service out of EWR.

Indirectly, this might help Southwest's ops at PHL. Loyal Southwest fliers that were split using EWR or PHL, will gravitate back to PHL in some cases.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by beyondhere
Hopefully the gates don't go to UA.

JetBlue would be good replacement as the airline using the gates. I could see it adding EWR-AUS. And then, some longer flights like PHX and maybe DFW but I guess those two would be less likely but increasing Florida/ Carribean service more likely. I think JetBlue is more focused on BOS, but it does have a inclination to attract NY market travelers, and EWR is a major NYC airport - albeit in NJ.

Other guesses would be the ULCCs. More Spirit. Probably more likely than more JetBlue, although the feel would be like a nice but struggling grocery store closing in your neighborhood and it's filled with a dollar store and discount store.

Maybe Frontier would considering swapping, selling it's LGA slots to Southwest while opening EWR, with DEN ATL and some of the midwest cities that Southwest had service out of EWR.

Indirectly, this might help Southwest's ops at PHL. Loyal Southwest fliers that were split using EWR or PHL, will gravitate back to PHL in some cases.
I hope Delta gets all the gates!
Juanefny likes this.

Last edited by Traveler_boy_25; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:42 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I suppose I haven't really helped their business there - as a frequent OAK passenger, I was really happy to have service to EWR...though I never ended up actually using it, preferring to take B6 or DL (from SFO) to the NYC area for transcon flights. (Here's hoping that Delta gets the EWR gates!)

I don't suppose this means that more service will go back to ISP? (Or new service to one the other secondary airports...)
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
I hope Delta gets all the gates!
It seems Delta's NYC strategy is to focus more on JFK and LGA. As a legacy carrier, It likely won't want to add point point out of a third NYC airport, and there is only so much capacity increase it can do with ATL MSP DTW and SLC, markets Southwest didnt even fly from EWR.

It is also busy growing focus cities/hubs in BOS, SEA and RDU. For NY, JetBlue pretty much just has JFK as a major operation, not really LGA, even though it is a New York based airline. So I think JetBlue can increase EWR some more and fill some of the upcoming loss from Southwest. At least maybe pickup the AUS-EWR route. At one time, AUS was on JetBlue's radar for a growth.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
AS shares the EWR satellite with WN, has significantly increased transcon service to most of their west coast focus cities over the past couple of years, could see them adding EWR-DAL. Wondering how much their presence influenced the subject decision.

B6 already has some EWR service, out of a different terminal. Their NYC hub is JFK.
exwannabe likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diver858
AS shares the EWR satellite with WN, has significantly increased transcon service to most of their west coast focus cities over the past couple of years, could see them adding EWR-DAL. Wondering how much their presence influenced the subject decision.

B6 already has some EWR service, out of a different terminal. Their NYC hub is JFK.
EWR-DAL on AS? Seems like route made to burn money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.