Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are points "refunded" if you cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

How are points "refunded" if you cancel?

I've learned so much from this forum. I would appreciate some help from people who know.
If I book a flight using points and cancel - do the points have an expiration date attached like other forms of payment?

If you could point me to the website where this is addressed I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help.

Donna
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Points immediately go back into your RR account. They expire just like your other points if your account becomes inactive.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Nothing special. They just go back in the "points bank". It is as if nothing every happened. The taxes part can be refunded to original payment method. I think it gives you an option for those to be travel funds, but no reason to select that.

Such a good deal.

Even better - and I think it is crazy on WN behalf - you can cancel ANY ticket up to 10 minutes before flight time. Those with points seem to be get a refund even if not cancelled, but I would never tempt that to keep working. It is just downright WRONG not to cancel.
dlaue likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:25 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
They go back into the points bank, and would expire at the same time as the rest of them (2 years without any activity).

Free cancelation/redeposit on points is crazy (good) especially considering most airlines require you to be an upper level elite to waive points “redeposit fees” when canceling an award booking
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:41 pm

As of last week, points still go back to your account if you no-show. Didn't mean to, but it happened and points were back in the account by the end of the day. For the no-show, the tax part (5.60 on a one way) went into travel funds that expire one year after original purchase.
If you use your points for someone else and they then cancel or no-show, the points go back to the person's account they originally came from, not the traveler's RR account. But if you do the travel funds option for refund of the tax part, those travel funds are associated with the person who had the ticket for their future use.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.