WN 1172 - BWI-PWM - Jul 11

Old Jul 11, 19, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVP; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spartan3186 View Post
Hmm, the flight trackers show that that 1173 arrived at 1:46 and 2525 took off at 2:52. Would've thought they could make that.

FlightView gave me the “departure” ding for 2525 about 3 minutes before the “landing” ding for 1146. I took 2525 out of FlightView at that point. 2525 must have sat on the tarmac for about an hour after departure.

Regardless, it looks like an awful day in BWI.

They just called to update us that no planes are taking off from BWI, and the sky is black.
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
WN has now cancelled tonight's nonstop SWA1086 from BWI-SAN.
Weather is hurricane like in the Baltimore area this afternoon/evening. Some places getting 5" of rain. Not surprised some flights are impacted.
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

They finally took off around 630pm ET, and will arrive in SAN around 11pm PT, eight hours after their initial planned arrival.

Considering they started their day around 5 or 6am ET, I suspect they are going to be very tired by the time we get them to our house at midnight.

The fundamental question still remains: I wonder what caused the delay of flight 1172 from BWI-PWM. Afternoon weather in BWI aside, they would have landed in SAN about six hours earlier if that flight had not been delayed.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post
They finally took off around 630pm ET, and will arrive in SAN around 11pm PT, eight hours after their initial planned arrival.

Considering they started their day around 5 or 6am ET, I suspect they are going to be very tired by the time we get them to our house at midnight.

The fundamental question still remains: I wonder what caused the delay of flight 1172 from BWI-PWM. Afternoon weather in BWI aside, they would have landed in SAN about six hours earlier if that flight had not been delayed.
Probably weather related. I live in Baltimore. I had a roofer come at 11 AM to give an estimate and he tried to wait storm out but ended up leaving and rescheduling as it was crazy rain coming down. Rain stopped probably at 1 PM. Then at 4:15 PM all hell broke loose. Never saw so much rain. My Daughter had swim lessons at 5 PM and they were cancelled due to the indoor pool being closed due to the thunder storms.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your family will be the best exact source of information about the lengthy delay based on what they asked and announcements that were made.

But, a quick look at departures xBWI from noon on yesterday reflects that over 90% were either cancelled or delayed by 3+ hours without regard to air carrier or destination.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your family will be the best exact source of information about the lengthy delay based on what they asked and announcements that were made.

But, a quick look at departures xBWI from noon on yesterday reflects that over 90% were either cancelled or delayed by 3+ hours without regard to air carrier or destination.
I agree that they will be they will be the best source of info for most of those things. What they will not know, because they were in PWM at the time, is why 1172 from BWI to PWM was so badly delayed at 8:30 in the morning. If it was because of weather (possible and likely), then there’s obviously no compensation. If it was because of a pre-existing scheduling issue or other issue within WN’s control, then it may be worth contacting customer service.

It’s probably not possible for me to know with certainty why 1172 from BWI-PWM was delayed so long first thing in the morning. I wasn’t there. But neither was my family.

Regardless: the good news is that we all arrived at the house shortly after midnight. No bags were lost. No extra hotel night was needed. I have no real complaints, mostly curiosity.
Old Yesterday, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Good morning,

Thanks for the input on this issue. I thought I'd circle back to let those who were interested know what actually happened, and the resolutions.

As a quick refresh, pax were initially scheduled on #1173 (PWM-BWI) and #2525 (BWI-SAN). They ultimately ended up with a 1:40 delay in PWM, causing a reroute from BWI-SAN, and a 4 hour delay in BWI resulting from weather. They landed in SAN about 8 hours after the schedule of their original itinerary, and about 6 hours after the actual arrival of their original itinerary

What we learned is that the early morning plane scheduled for 1172 (BWI-PWM) (which fed 1173 PWM-BWI), had a maintenance issue. Pax were offloaded from 1172, and waited for a new plane (N219WN). That was the root cause of my family being delayed out of PWM for the 1:40. It was that delay that caused the ticket agent to reroute them onto #2434 , which ended up experiencing about 4 hours worth of additional delay due to weather in BWI.

When the gate agent checked them in at PWM, the agent proactively rebooked them, AND gave them each a $100 LUV voucher. However, they lost their A28/29 boarding position for BWI-SAN, which was a result of a $25 EBCI purchase. Their new boarding position was C24/25, virtually guaranteeing that they would not sit together for the longest part of their flights. As unseasoned travelers, this was not really acceptable, so they purchased upgraded boarding at the gate for $50/person.

In any case, after talking with them and getting the full story, I decided to write customer service and outline the story. I asked for two things: 1) an additional $100/pax in LUV vouchers as a gesture to compensate for the additional significant delays which could be traced back to the mechanical issue, and 2) a refund of either EBCI or Upgraded boarding fees because the reroute caused them to lose their boarding position.

Within about 5 minutes of my email to customer service, I received a phone call from a CS agent who agreed with my assessment and request. Southwest is issuing additional LUV vouchers and refunding EBCI to the original form of payment.

All in all, I'm pleased. Family is still sleeping, but I think they will be happy with the response.

Last edited by twitch76; Yesterday at 8:45 am
Old Yesterday, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post

When the gate agent checked them in at PWM, the agent proactively rebooked them, AND gave them each a $100 LUV voucher. However, they lost their A28/29 boarding position for BWI-SAN, which was a result of a $25 EBCI purchase. Their new boarding position was C24/25, virtually guaranteeing that they would not sit together for the longest part of their flights. As unseasoned travelers, this was not really acceptable, so they purchased upgraded boarding at the gate for $50/person.
Weather delays are routine. If you buy EBCI and an IRROP happens, you shouldn't have to pay another $50/per person to sit together. Just because EBCI doesn't guarantee anything doesn't make this acceptable.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Weather delays are routine. If you buy EBCI and an IRROP happens, you shouldn't have to pay another $50/per person to sit together. Just because EBCI doesn't guarantee anything doesn't make this acceptable.
I agree. And within reason, it seems that Southwest may agree as well. I asked for EITHER a refund of EBCI or upgraded boarding. I correctly predicted that the most we would get was EBCI.

It would be nice if gate agents had some ability to fix that on the ground, but I can understand that they don’t.