Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on WN with a dog (ESAN)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Where to sit on WN with a dog (ESAN)

Hi.
I have an upcoming short, nonstop flight on Southwest. I've travelled a lot with an ESAN dog, but never on Southwest.
He's a little one--just 12 kgs. And he's quiet, well-behaved, well-trained (it's his job.) And I have the paperwork all prepared.

I know that I cannot occupy an exit row seat with a dog. But what about the bulkhead?

It's a cheap ticket, but I can always purchase priority boarding.

Any thoughts?

(I know, you can roll your eyes at ESAN dogs, but--for me--it's how I can travel with sanity and calm. And my dog is a trained, decent companion.)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:53 pm

Once you arrive to the airport and then your gate, you should be able to talk to the gate agent for getting a new boarding pass with preboard on it
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:52 pm

The bulkhead is allowed for an ESAN. My wife was asked to leave her window seat from the previous segment when a passenger with a Boxer boarded, and WN gave us discount vouchers.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I have seen a great dane and a mallard duck in the bulkhead seats.

Your dog will fit right in.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
I have seen a great dane and a mallard duck in the bulkhead seats.

Your dog will fit right in.
If your dog is in a carrier, you won't be able to sit at the bulkhead because the carrier has to fit under the seat ahead of you.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.
My emotional support mallard stays at home.
No carrier, so I'll aim for a bulkhead.

I'm just used to flying with a dog on other carriers.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:27 pm

delete
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
I typically see dogs hanging out on the bulkhead.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I want an ES Guinea Pig or Hedgehog.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:25 pm

The Great Dane on my flight yesterday had his own seat in the bulkhead... he sat in the window seat with his head laid on the seat and his companion sat in the middle.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Becca1007
The Great Dane on my flight yesterday had his own seat in the bulkhead... he sat in the window seat with his head laid on the seat and his companion sat in the middle.
A picture or it didn’t happen.
harold likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Becca1007
Was the dog a CP holder?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:42 pm

Alas... I was herding a toddler and carrying a carseat, so no ability to take a photo. But the dog was taller than my 4 year old
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you again, everyone.
The trip worked out beautifully.

I had hoped for a bulkhead, but those were taken instantly by employees. Fortunately, I managed to have nobody next to me on either flight.

My dog is quite little, and he sat under the seat in front of me (including my bookbag.)
He did his job well.

Everyone at Southwest was pleasant and accommodating. They treat the rules about animals in the cabin more seriously than any other airline I've flown, and I respect them for being strict.
In addition, the cabin crew stopped and advised me that I should give my dog oxygen in the event of a decompression, though I should put my own mask on first. I was impressed that this is part of their briefing. (They reminded parents individually as well.)

We ended up having a diversion, so I was extra happy to have my dog with me. He didn't mind. Everyone kept saying, "He's so well behaved!" (That's the point.)

I was also especially glad to have Clear and PreCheck. I was traveling at Rush Hour out of LAX, and the PreCheck line was very long. If I ever wondered about that $119 for Clear, that answered the question.

Thanks again for your advice.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.