Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass holder board separately from me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass holder board separately from me?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Waste of money, I would not say a word, have her line-up with you at A-3 (or the end of the BSe'rs) and I would wager a word isn't passed. Its a child for god's sake. If challenged, let her board alone and save the middle seat. Most people have a heart. (Flame on!) Good luck!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by joshua362
Waste of money, I would not say a word, have her line-up with you at A-3 (or the end of the BSe'rs) and I would wager a word isn't passed. Its a child for god's sake. If challenged, let her board alone and save the middle seat. Most people have a heart. (Flame on!) Good luck!
I've seen Ops Agents board entire families because one in the group had a BS position.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:47 pm

How about switching boarding passes with her and having her board first?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
This is genius. Where the hell was this thought yesterday?!

Postscript, so everyone knows how it turned out. At least 10 blue sleeves, each of which boarded with several people, one of whom boarded with a whole tribe - all before boarding even started. I figure they boarded 30 people before they called A 1-15. As a guy flying with a 9 year old I am prohibited from sitting in an exit row and I had no hope the front row was still open so we boarded between A and B groups. So I don't have an answer to the question. But we fly home Sunday, so I'll let you know then!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by photomikey
Sorry, I'm on vacation and not sitting on my computer.
Try it on your return trip and let us know how it works out.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by photomikey

Postscript, so everyone knows how it turned out. At least 10 blue sleeves, each of which boarded with several people, one of whom boarded with a whole tribe - all before boarding even started. I figure they boarded 30 people before they called A 1-15. As a guy flying with a 9 year old I am prohibited from sitting in an exit row and I had no hope the front row was still open so we boarded between A and B groups. So I don't have an answer to the question. But we fly home Sunday, so I'll let you know then!
Any wheelchairs? Those tend to take the very front row. If not or few, you still might have had a shot. And you'll likely see the same on your ride home.

I can't tell if the BP switch idea is serious. Certainly no harm to try (whoops, our BP's got accidentally switched) but a 9 yo girl alone in a line of traditionally business men & women would make me look twice as a OA just to make sure something wasn't astray, maybe its just the parent in me.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by NextTrip
How would that work?

1 - She still might have the underage issue pop up.
2 - Could run into all kinds of issues if they discover it was not HER boarding pass
3 - Why make a 10 year old try to decide which seats to take
4 - Then expect a 10 year old to deal with "saving" a seat for Dad?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
How would that work?

1 - She still might have the underage issue pop up.
2 - Could run into all kinds of issues if they discover it was not HER boarding pass
3 - Why make a 10 year old try to decide which seats to take
4 - Then expect a 10 year old to deal with "saving" a seat for Dad?
Issues?
I think you are underestimating the 10-year old.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The Ops Agent should be OK with "I switched BP's with my Dad who has my B23 because he'd rather that I board first." Proper grammar FTW.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:02 am

My kids board separately from me, and boarding agents usually don’t say anything. I think my son was asked once if a parent was around and he told the agent that I had already boarded. Not a big deal.
photomikey and NextTrip like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Has the boarding protocol changed for CP in the covid era? Obviously now, a passenger traveling with CP expects to sit together more so than in pre-COVID days. Pre-COVID, when wife/CP and I traveled, we would often take separate seats just for convenience in deplaning. In the "new normal" it would seem that allowing CP holders to board with the primary traveler would be desirable for all concerned, but has any formal change taken place, or is it still at the discretion of the gate agent?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:24 am

The only thing that changed in co vid environment is boarding groups of 10, Ie A1-10, A11-20, etc, still nothing as a benefit for companion pass holders.
However, if you are A List or A list preferred and everyone is on same itinerary then they can board with you as placement will be in sequence order.
From SWA Website
Once a Member qualifies for A-List or A-List Preferred status, Southwest will automatically reserve a boarding position for such Member and all Passengers included on a reservation with such Member 36 hours prior to each of the Member's confirmed Southwest flights (“priority boarding”).
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:24 pm

But since companions cannot be on the same reservation as the pass holder, the A List policy does no good.

Fortunately, the planes aren’t full enough that it matters. I just board with my companion.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: SW A+, HHonors Diamond
Just save a seat for her. You can do that on board.
screeton likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy
Just save a seat for her. You can do that on board.
But since seat saving isn't specifically allowed, be prepared to move if you're in a desirable location trying to save a seat. Probably not an issue in the back of the plane, but in the first few rows it certainly could be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.