Same Day/City Standby for Non A List at DCA

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Same Day/City Standby for Non A List at DCA

Have any experienced flyers tried this? I'd really like to fly on the morning flight but don't want to pay.
Just wondering if they would actually let me on if there is space.

Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:58 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
It's free if you bought a Business Select or Anytime ticket. According to the policy, for non A list and a WGA fare, you'd need to pay the fare difference between the WGA and Anytime ticket. Or it might be cheaper to just pay the difference to get the WGA fare on the earlier flight.

However, if there's a reasonable delay of your originally scheduled flight, an agent at the airport might put you on the earlier flight and waive the fee at their discretion. There's no official policy for how long the delay has to be, but folks have reported times ranging from 20 minutes to an hour.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
More often than not, WN flights are full.

But - if there are seats available, you can standby.

As said, if WGA fare, then you have to pay to upgrade.

Policy here
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/f...formation.html
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
I fly DAL-DCA-DAL on a regular basis and the flights are generally full, especially on the early morning flights. I get what you are wanting to do but as others have previously stated you cannot list as standby without upgrading from WGA to Anytime. And DCA Terminal A is not a place you want to spend a lot of time if you happen to not make the standby and have to wait. I made the mistake years ago when I was an AA flyer trying to get home on a Friday from DCA-DFW and had an 8PM flight scheduled and stupidly thought I certainly could get out earlier if I showed up at noon and got on standby as Gold. HA! I spent the entire 8 hours waiting till my scheduled flight and Terminal B is far less bad than A. I suggest either paying the difference and flying early or not and flying later.....
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I think I'll just stick with the evening flight.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by marlin
Thank you! I think I'll just stick with the evening flight.
Probably best

But, if you know "Murphy", that will be the day that the earlier flights will have lots of open seats, and YOUR flight gets cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.