TSA Pre for elderly folks

Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold, Krisflyer, Global Entry
TSA Pre for elderly folks

Not sure whether this is the right place for this question but recently I took a flight on Southwest from SJC to SAN with my elderly parents. I have Global Entry but my parents do not. My parents also received TSA Pre and my question is whether they got TSA Pre because of their age or because I have Global Entry and they got TSA Pre because of me? Any explanation would be helpful.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Random inclusion.
swaluvr and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:26 pm

Lots of old people randomly get TSA precheck on Southwest as they aren't as much of a risk; not because of you
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Lots of old people randomly get TSA precheck on Southwest as they aren't as much of a risk; not because of you

Yes... this happens often.

If has ZERO to do with others.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:02 am

Pre is randomly granted to just about anyone with a flying history. But if anyone is over 75 well read it here https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...s-75-and-older
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
I actually do see my wife get TSA pre often when we are on the same reservation number. I am global entry as well. It’s too frequent to be just random. I can almost count on it happening.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold, Krisflyer, Global Entry
Originally Posted by garykung
Random inclusion.
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I find it difficult to believe that it's merely random. My parents got TSA Pre both ways flying SJC to SAN.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
I actually do see my wife get TSA pre often when we are on the same reservation number. I am global entry as well. It’s too frequent to be just random. I can almost count on it happening.
She's old, right?
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by atsiang
I find it difficult to believe that it's merely random. My parents got TSA Pre both ways flying SJC to SAN.
Because they're old
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

Random, with higher probability because of age.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
We are old. I have paid for pre-check. My wife gets it 60-70% regardless of whether she is flying with me or not. As she puts it, 'I get the Midwest Gramma exemption, why should I pay for it?' TSA knows how old you are. So far, I don't think we have had any old terrorists.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I’ve gotten PreCheck randomly when I was on the same reservation as my parents (but never when traveling by myself) before I applied and paid the fee.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Since the program's inception, there have been only 3 ways a passenger can get TSA Precheck - Random, Airline (eliminated), and Enrollment. Since this is not the case of enrollment, random is the only explanation.

FWIW - just because it is "random" does not really mean the chance is really random.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:46 am

I can't imagine DHS would disclose its software is coded for elderly TSA Pre✓. Every 75 year-old would expect it and "random and unpredictable" remain cardinal maxims. I see fewer mobility devices, not more, in Pre✓ lanes in rush hour. But YMMV.
NextTrip and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

My Mom gets Pre and she has no GE and is 65. My Father and I have GE and get Pre 100 percent of the time. For me I am almost 35 and before the GE I was getting TSA Pre almost 100 percent of the time without paying for it on all airlines. I guess flight history has a lot to do with it. I have Frequent Flier Accounts with all the airlines I fly and I fly often enough to have a good flight history.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.