FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   TSA Pre for elderly folks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1976929-tsa-pre-elderly-folks.html)

atsiang Jul 5, 2019 5:59 pm

TSA Pre for elderly folks

Not sure whether this is the right place for this question but recently I took a flight on Southwest from SJC to SAN with my elderly parents. I have Global Entry but my parents do not. My parents also received TSA Pre and my question is whether they got TSA Pre because of their age or because I have Global Entry and they got TSA Pre because of me? Any explanation would be helpful.

garykung Jul 5, 2019 6:24 pm

Random inclusion.

dmbolp Jul 5, 2019 6:26 pm

Lots of old people randomly get TSA precheck on Southwest as they aren't as much of a risk; not because of you

NoStressHere Jul 5, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31273687)
Lots of old people randomly get TSA precheck on Southwest as they aren't as much of a risk; not because of you

Yes... this happens often.

If has ZERO to do with others.

Flythefuture Jul 6, 2019 12:02 am

Pre is randomly granted to just about anyone with a flying history. But if anyone is over 75 well read it here https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...s-75-and-older

MacGuruTX Jul 6, 2019 12:46 pm

I actually do see my wife get TSA pre often when we are on the same reservation number. I am global entry as well. It’s too frequent to be just random. I can almost count on it happening.

atsiang Jul 6, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31273681)
Random inclusion.

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31273687)

I find it difficult to believe that it's merely random. My parents got TSA Pre both ways flying SJC to SAN.

dmbolp Jul 6, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by MacGuruTX (Post 31275750)
I actually do see my wife get TSA pre often when we are on the same reservation number. I am global entry as well. It’s too frequent to be just random. I can almost count on it happening.

She's old, right? :)

dmbolp Jul 6, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by atsiang (Post 31275978)
I find it difficult to believe that it's merely random. My parents got TSA Pre both ways flying SJC to SAN.

Because they're old :)

smmrfld Jul 6, 2019 3:10 pm

Random, with higher probability because of age.

lougord99 Jul 6, 2019 3:42 pm

We are old. I have paid for pre-check. My wife gets it 60-70% regardless of whether she is flying with me or not. As she puts it, 'I get the Midwest Gramma exemption, why should I pay for it?' TSA knows how old you are. So far, I don't think we have had any old terrorists.

elevatorgeek Jul 6, 2019 7:25 pm

I’ve gotten PreCheck randomly when I was on the same reservation as my parents (but never when traveling by myself) before I applied and paid the fee.

garykung Jul 7, 2019 6:13 am

Since the program's inception, there have been only 3 ways a passenger can get TSA Precheck - Random, Airline (eliminated), and Enrollment. Since this is not the case of enrollment, random is the only explanation.

FWIW - just because it is "random" does not really mean the chance is really random.

LegalTender Jul 7, 2019 6:46 am

I can't imagine DHS would disclose its software is coded for elderly TSA Pre✓. Every 75 year-old would expect it and "random and unpredictable" remain cardinal maxims. I see fewer mobility devices, not more, in Pre✓ lanes in rush hour. But YMMV.

danielonn Jul 7, 2019 11:31 pm

My Mom gets Pre and she has no GE and is 65. My Father and I have GE and get Pre 100 percent of the time. For me I am almost 35 and before the GE I was getting TSA Pre almost 100 percent of the time without paying for it on all airlines. I guess flight history has a lot to do with it. I have Frequent Flier Accounts with all the airlines I fly and I fly often enough to have a good flight history.