Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Folks not taking exit row seats and Flight Attendant Response

Old Jul 4, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

We fly often on WN - I guess about two trips a month lately. My wife and I actually enjoy our time on the plane. We have tv shows and movies on the ipad that we share. Our goal is to get the pair of seats that do not have a window seat and seem to get it about 80% of the time, even on flights with lots of through passengers that could easily take them. A-list boarding usually is around a-30.

Anyways, I said something to the FA on our last flight about how these seats often do not get taken until well in the High A boarding or sometimes even B (on planes with a pair of seats on each side). Her response? She said lots of folks do not want to be "responsible" in case of an emergency. I did not bother to respond as it seemed strange.

Thoughts?
copperred and miklcct like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You ask,

People are strange creatures..and want no responsibility
Dublin_rfk and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Thoughts?
I think that lots of folks do not want to be "responsible" in case of an emergency.
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Maybe..... when I was flying Delta every week, those exit row seats were taken in advance on a regular basis.

Back to WN - those pair of seats are sort of like first class in that there is no middle seat. Just the two of us. We have gotten spoiled sitting there... LOL!
KRSW and emrdoc like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 3:05 pm

I sense that the exit seats are avoided if the passengers are mostly tourists and first time air travelers. The exit rows look strange and have all those warnings about exit row and no recline.
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:44 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
I sense that the exit seats are avoided if the passengers are mostly tourists and first time air travelers. The exit rows look strange and have all those warnings about exit row and no recline.
Exit row seats are avoided on WN because the FAs are always standing in them during boarding. Most folks don't want to ask them to move
Old Jul 4, 19, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
Exit row seats are avoided on WN because the FAs are always standing in them during boarding. Most folks don't want to ask them to move
Ran into this on Tuesday when companion and I boarded mid B group and the FA asked if we'd like to take the exit row where she was standing (not the LUV seats). Said, "Sure". But, we were actually planning on going to the rear of the plane where we could exit quickly at BUR. We are creatures of habit!

Last edited by NextTrip; Jul 4, 19 at 11:44 pm
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Many attendants call those two exit row seats the “LUV” seats.

they are my favorites also. If an attendant is standing there, I thank them for saving my seat for me.
bobunf, rickintul and dlaue like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 11:26 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Exit row seats don't have floor storage during takeoff and landing, tray and ife are in the armrest, and there is no chance of scoring a free middle seat next to oneself.

HTB.
Old Jul 4, 19, 11:41 pm

I've never really understood the attraction of the LUV seats; the legroom is the same as any other row. I'm also not a fan of the infinite legroom seat due to the extra thickness of the armrest that holds the tray table and needing to unbuckle to get your carry-on from under the seat in front of you. Bulkhead makes no sense to me either; too thick armrests, and room for your carry-on is only above, sometimes behind you. The seat I want is the exit row window. Good exit row legroom, and great width due to no armrest on the window side. Luckily, even boarding in my usual mid- to late-As an FA is usually saving that seat for me.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:51 am

Delete.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by NextTrip; Jul 5, 19 at 1:28 am
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb View Post
Exit row seats don't have floor storage during takeoff and landing, tray and ife are in the armrest, and there is no chance of scoring a free middle seat next to oneself.

HTB.
Every exit row on every plane I have flown allows floor storage - I am confused.

There are no IFE on WN. And all the exit rows I remember on WN have tray in the seat in front.
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by htb View Post

HTB.
The first 2 are not true (at least on WN) , the "infinity" seat does have the bonus of an armrest tray AND a seat-back tray, its just a bit further away.

But #3 is correct concerning the LUV seat row. There is no extra room, it doesn't decline, IMO there is nothing special about them except a bit of" privacy" for a traveling couple.

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 5, 19 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Those seats don't have any extra legroom. So anyone thinking there's a shot at an empty middle seat farther back will pass on them.

If I'm traveling with my wife, we'd rather have aisle-aisle a little farther back. At high-A, low-B that's usually available.
Old Jul 5, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVP; Hilton Diamond
I was of the impression (and so is SeatGuru) that the Luv seats have extra legroom, but the seats behind them do not.

The attraction of those seats, if traveling together, is that nobody has to negotiate armrest usage (or shoulder space) with a stranger, and it feels like sitting in two aisle seats.

Search this Thread