Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Folks not taking exit row seats and Flight Attendant Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Folks not taking exit row seats and Flight Attendant Response

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
I was of the impression (and so is SeatGuru) that the Luv seats have extra legroom, but the seats behind them do not.

The attraction of those seats, if traveling together, is that nobody has to negotiate armrest usage (or shoulder space) with a stranger, and it feels like sitting in two aisle seats.
The LUV seats definitely do not have any additional legroom, I can confirm since my wife and I sit in them regularly. They also do not recline. The main benefit of course is nobody being stuck in-between two people. Also, the seats in the row in front of the LUV seats do not recline, so that's nice. Personally I would prefer to sit in the exit row with extra legroom since I am 6"3', however my wife prefers the LUV seats so that's what we usually target. Happy wife, happy life, and all that.
Air Houston and twitch76 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
The LUV seats definitely do not have any additional legroom, I can confirm since my wife and I sit in them regularly. They also do not recline. The main benefit of course is nobody being stuck in-between two people. Also, the seats in the row in front of the LUV seats do not recline, so that's nice. Personally I would prefer to sit in the exit row with extra legroom since I am 6"3', however my wife prefers the LUV seats so that's what we usually target. Happy wife, happy life, and all that.
Me in the infinity seat, wife in the leftmost LUV seat sounds ideal to me !
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Me in the infinity seat, wife in the leftmost LUV seat sounds ideal to me !
I would tend to agree, however that means she will likely have to sit next to a stranger (actually both of us), which opens us up to a whole variety of additional potential annoyances.

In reality I'd much rather have her happy than have that extra legroom myself. Most of the time we aren't flying cross-country anyway so it's not a huge deal. In some situations though it has worked out where the LUV seats are taken but some of my more-desirable seats are available, and that has worked out well.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by htb
Exit row seats don't have floor storage during takeoff and landing, tray and ife are in the armrest, and there is no chance of scoring a free middle seat next to oneself.
This is incorrect; perhaps you posted this without ever having flown WN. No IFE (other than pax-provided devices) on WN metal, and no restrictions on floor storage.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
I was of the impression (and so is SeatGuru) that the Luv seats have extra legroom, but the seats behind them do not.

The attraction of those seats, if traveling together, is that nobody has to negotiate armrest usage (or shoulder space) with a stranger, and it feels like sitting in two aisle seats.
No extra legroom in the LUV seats, nor in the row behind, except for the infinite legroom seat.
joshua362, dlaue and twitch76 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by smmrfld

No extra legroom in the LUV seats, nor in the row behind, except for the infinite legroom seat.
No extra legroom to speak of... maybe an inch or two - but surely not noticeable.

Since the row ahead is also an exit row, they will not recline into your space. Of course you can not recline either, but we can live with that.

The biggest thing is not having to share armrests and feeling more like aisle seats for both.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
I've never really understood the attraction of the LUV seats; the legroom is the same as any other row. I'm also not a fan of the infinite legroom seat due to the extra thickness of the armrest that holds the tray table and needing to unbuckle to get your carry-on from under the seat in front of you. Bulkhead makes no sense to me either; too thick armrests, and room for your carry-on is only above, sometimes behind you. The seat I want is the exit row window. Good exit row legroom, and great width due to no armrest on the window side. Luckily, even boarding in my usual mid- to late-As an FA is usually saving that seat for me.
When my wife and I travel together she likes the LUV seats because we can sit next to each other and there is no one on her side. I like aisle seats and she likes window seats. I've given up going for exit row seats because they always seem to get filled and I'd rather try for an empty middle.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:26 am

It may be the Max8 but one of the configs definitely does have extra legroom for the LUV seats. It is not much, but those are also favorites of my partner and mine, so I do recall that some are better than others with the legroom.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by htb
Exit row seats don't have floor storage during takeoff and landing, tray and ife are in the armrest, and there is no chance of scoring a free middle seat next to oneself.

HTB.
That's a European rule. Most American (North/South) allow you to put bags under the seat in front of you.

Also on Alaska Airlines & a few others (just depends on airplane type and airline), the arm rests are regular and a tray table is in the seat in front.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Personally I love the infinite legroom seat.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Personally I love the infinite legroom seat.

That particular seat is almost always taken very early. If you see a tall person in a1-a15 - you can bet that is where they are headed.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jul 6, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:37 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by smmrfld

This is incorrect; perhaps you posted this without ever having flown WN. No IFE (other than pax-provided devices) on WN metal, and no restrictions on floor storage.
I find allowing floor storage in exit row seats rather dangerous. All airlines I've flown so far made it a point not to allow any bags under the seat in front as they will most likely shift during a crash landing

HTB.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
I find allowing floor storage in exit row seats rather dangerous. All airlines I've flown so far made it a point not to allow any bags under the seat in front as they will most likely shift during a crash landing

HTB.
I probably have hundreds of flights on DL in exit rows. Never, ever been an issue and would guess I used the underseat storage 95% of the time. And maybe 50+ times in WN with bags under seats in exit row.

I will tell you that flight crews pay extra attention to bags in that row to make sure they are all the way forward under the seat.

Not sure what airlines you have been on that do not allow them.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
I sense that the exit seats are avoided if the passengers are mostly tourists and first time air travelers. The exit rows look strange and have all those warnings about exit row and no recline.
I would think the possibility of significantly more space in an already cramped cabin would quickly help overcome that reluctance! I've never seen anyone refuse in my (limited) experience.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I’ve heard of there being no floor storage on other airlines where the exit row doubles as a bulkhead row, but that’s currently not the case on WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.