Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Folks not taking exit row seats and Flight Attendant Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Folks not taking exit row seats and Flight Attendant Response

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
That's a European rule. Most American (North/South) allow you to put bags under the seat in front of you.
Actually, I've run into that restriction a number of times on intra-South America flights.

Meanwhile, in the US it's sometimes a seat configuration issue, rather than a restriction. Not on Southwest, but on some dual-cabin or larger transcon airplanes on the "legacy" airlines, there's a divider in front of you, or a crew jumpseat facing you, instead of another passenger seat, in front of one or more exit row seats. In that case, there is no seat in front you for you to put bags there (not even two rows ahead), and so your bags have to go overhead for takeoff and landing (unless a seat next to you has underseat storage and is unoccupied).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, I've run into that restriction a number of times on intra-South America flights.

Meanwhile, in the US it's sometimes a seat configuration issue, rather than a restriction. Not on Southwest, but on some dual-cabin or larger transcon airplanes on the "legacy" airlines, there's a divider in front of you, or a crew jumpseat facing you, instead of another passenger seat, in front of one or more exit row seats. In that case, there is no seat in front you for you to put bags there (not even two rows ahead), and so your bags have to go overhead for takeoff and landing (unless a seat next to you has underseat storage and is unoccupied).
The entire thread is not based on anything other than a bit of anecdotal evidence. The fact remains that inexperienced travelers have no idea what to do and experienced travelers have their own pet selections which they prefer for reasons which may or may not make sense.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
I find allowing floor storage in exit row seats rather dangerous. All airlines I've flown so far made it a point not to allow any bags under the seat in front as they will most likely shift during a crash landing

HTB.
You need to fly more airlines. I've occasionally encountered this rule on different airlines, but it most certainly does not exist on Southwest.
sdsearch and smmrfld like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The entire thread is not based on anything other than a bit of anecdotal evidence. The fact remains that inexperienced travelers have no idea what to do and experienced travelers have their own pet selections which they prefer for reasons which may or may not make sense.
This is so true. For me a regular traveler all I want is the most forward aisle seat. My joints ache so I get up and hit the head once or twice a flight and don't want to crawl over anyone to get out. Forward because I just want to get off as soon as possible because deplaining is apparently harder than boarding in many cases.......
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I will sit in the Infinite Legroom seat if its available, even if only to ruin the flight of some other person who probably wanted it (and then starts a new thread here about how BS or EBCI is a ripoff). Too often I have found the little tray to be broken and unuseable. But the LUV seats? No thanks; I want a window.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Was on BUR-SJC few months ago and was the only one on the exit row until what was probably mid-B boarding. Issue was older flyers trying to sit there but FA wouldn’t let them if they didn’t have the strength to put their own bag in the overhead bin.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I'm also 6'3" (and ~230) ... there's plenty of legroom for me in any WN seat, even sometimes when I'm flying standby, snatch one of the last remaining seat(s) and end up sitting near the front. I can't see how people aren't fitting in the other seats just fine.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Often1
+1
I have a proprietary list of 5 seats, in order, that I prefer on a 700.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:31 am

I take the LUV seat closest the window every chance I get, and I get it 90%+ of the time. Next choice is regular exit window seat, then infinite legroom window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.