Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines Travel Funds - Shady Tactics (Expiration and Tainting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Travel Funds - Shady Tactics (Expiration and Tainting)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Has anybody noticed if you use travel funds to buy a new ticket, and cancel that ticket and buy another one, the funds keep expiring 1 day sooner? Initially expiration was Nov 23, then it was Nov 22, then 21.
This has been happening for a couple months. It's an annoying bug.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Sorry I'm slow to understand this, but I'm confused. Let's say I book a flight for $200 on January 1, 2019. I cancel on July 1, 2019. On December 1, 2019, I want to book an itinerary in February 2020 costing $350. Can I use the $200 TF balance, even though it expires on January 1? If I can book it, does that mean that the $150 extra I'm paying "expires" for travel fund purposes on January 1, 2020, and once that date passes, I cannot cancel the ticket without losing everything?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:05 pm

When you gave Southwest $200 on 1/1/19 you have to fly-or-lose it by 1/1/20; you can't fly with those same funds after 1/1/20.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
When you gave Southwest $200 on 1/1/19 you have to fly-or-lose it by 1/1/20; you can't fly with those same funds after 1/1/20.
Thanks. Would the system let me complete the booking for the Feb. 2020 itinerary or would there be an error message when I try to use the TF for payment?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks. Would the system let me complete the booking for the Feb. 2020 itinerary or would there be an error message when I try to use the TF for payment?

The latter. You won't be able to apply the funds.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
The latter. You won't be able to apply the funds.
Got it; thank you. So if we change my hypo to an itinerary in late December, I can use the $200 in travel funds, but the caveat is that my extra $150 paid on December 1 has an expiration of only a month later, not a full year.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by dhuey
So if we change my hypo to an itinerary in late December, I can use the $200 in travel funds, but the caveat is that my extra $150 paid on December 1 has an expiration of only a month later, not a full year.
Correct. Search for "tainted" travel funds for examples of how to avoid this scenario; essentially avoid mixing good funds or cash with expiring TFs on the same ticket.

If at all possible use the $200 on a one way ticket so that it doesn't taint a more expensive RT ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:41 pm

I never thought I’d get screwed by this, but instead of booking my Easter flights as two separate one way flights, I booked them together, comingling travel funds with cash. With CV-19, I’m not going to go visit my parents in Florida for Easter, and now there’s no way I’ll use these funds before they expire on 6/3/20 giving the social distancing is unlikely to be over before June. I’m super annoyed, but what can you do?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rosehill28
I never thought I’d get screwed by this, but instead of booking my Easter flights as two separate one way flights, I booked them together, comingling travel funds with cash. With CV-19, I’m not going to go visit my parents in Florida for Easter, and now there’s no way I’ll use these funds before they expire on 6/3/20 giving the social distancing is unlikely to be over before June. I’m super annoyed, but what can you do?
There there are many people in this exact situation right now. At the moment, Southwest isn't making any policy changes. In the absence of a domestic travel ban I doubt they will. Air carriers are hurting right now in a very serious way. There are some reports of customer service exceptions being made. There are some really sad stories out there, especially involving Group Travel. Schools, sports teams, and other groups are essentially losing 100% of their funds when their trips are canceled due to no fault of their own. This situation is going to affect everyone to varying degrees, and it's definitely not going to be good.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Rosehill28
I’m super annoyed, but what can you do?
I hope you are annoyed at yourself and not Southwest. One thing you can do is after the funds expire, you can renew for 6 months for a $100 fee. You loose some money, but at least you get to keep some money.
steved5480 and hsmama like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I hope you are annoyed at yourself and not Southwest. One thing you can do is after the funds expire, you can renew for 6 months for a $100 fee. You loose some money, but at least you get to keep some money.
It will be very very interesting to see if that unwritten policy survives following this crisis. And/or if that fee remains the same.

Based purely on the huge negative outcry I'm seeing from Southwest customers right now, I suspect some sort of policy change will be implemented at some point. Most likely an extension of travel fund expiration dates for flights canceled during this period. I very much doubt that refunds will be offered, however an extension of the period for use of travel funds allows Southwest to make a concession that ultimately does not cost them much, while protecting/restoring at least some customer goodwill.

Or I could be completely wrong, and the financial situation so dire that Southwest makes no concessions whatsoever.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think the financial situation is dire.

it is part of their culture not to furlough people. I believe they are the only airline that has not significantly cut their schedule. Something has to give.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I were running Southwest I'd add one year to the expiration of all funds, effective immediately. Just sweep the database and add a year to every active record locator.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by nsx
If I were running Southwest I'd add one year to the expiration of all funds, effective immediately. Just sweep the database and add a year to every active record locator.
I would be ecstatic with that. I'm cancelling a family vacation MKE-DAL that was supposed to start Wednesday. I booked outbound on points and return cash. I've got a business trip scheduled for MCO in Sep. currently my outbound I can use some of the Travel Funds, but not for the return.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Or I could be completely wrong, and the financial situation so dire that Southwest makes no concessions whatsoever.
An automatic extension would be a great PR move. Killing the “unwritten” extension policy brings in some additional cash due to spoilage.

Let’s hope they choose the first option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.