Wiki Posts
Search

COS - Refund if Extra Seat Denied?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
COS - Refund if Extra Seat Denied?

I have a couple of upcoming trips booked with an extra seat. The armrests are able to go down, however my shoulder would encroach on the seat next to me if I don't lean into the aisle or the window with someone next to me so I reserved an extra seat. I have never flown as a COS before. If the person at the check-in desk decides that I don't need the extra seat and cancels it, would I still receive a refund?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
I don't see why it wouldn't get refunded, WN canceled the ticket. If they refused to refund it, I would be disputing it with my credit card company. You purchased a ticket and they refused to give you the service you contracted for. I am a COS but since my financial situation has tightened I've not purchased a additional ticket beforehand and gone to the gate agent and requested one (yes, that is in their policy its posted online). Technically they are supposed to give you a seat even if it overbooks them but if it is questionable if you qualify, I think that they will probably deny you especially because of their increased LF due to the MAX8 grounding. I was lectured at check-in at MCO because according to the agent I was supposed to purchase the extra ticket before /hand but my way is allowed and I would not do it that way if I could afford to lay out the money.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
You can also use RR points to book a COS seat thus avoiding tying up cash.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: WN
If you are a relatively large person, they won't cancel your extra seat. I have the same issue. My armrests will go down but I have a broad upper body width. Nobody has ever denied me an extra seat. They don't want to create an issue any more than you want them to. However, You will not be able to print your boarding pass that includes an extra seat ahead of time like you normally would with just the one seat when you check in online. You can check in online, but go to the kiosk at the bag dropoff and print the boarding pass there. It will give you both the boarding pass for yourself and the "seat reserved" document to place on the middle seat for your extra seat. You don't need to go to the gate agent. Just board with the preboard group. Show the boarding agent both the boarding pass and the reserved seat document and he will let you preboard. I typically wait until all the people in need of assistance are on board before I board. You are not allowed to sit in an exit row as a preboarder. If you wish to board normally with your boarding number, you can, but you risk not getting two seats together. If for some reason your seat is cancelled, you will get a refund. The only reason you may not get a refund for the extra seat is if you do a no-show for your flight without cancelling. I have also heard a couple stories in the past of people who were denied an extra seat but they were clearly not in need of one. You don't sound like you are in that category.

Last edited by darrenpb; Jul 5, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

If you have a connecting flight, do you get the seat reserved document for the second flight at the first airport as well?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN
I was just on the phone with Southwest Customer Relations about another issue and I asked that question. The agent told me that the entire itinerary will print out at the kiosk, so you will get seat reserved documents for both flights all at once. It's been awhile since I've flown a connecting flight on Southwest and couldn't remember.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
If you have a connecting flight, do you get the seat reserved document for the second flight at the first airport as well?
Yes you do. All of the way through.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm 6' 5" and 280. On flights 90 mins or less, I don't get a COS ticket. I can put the rests down and tough it out. Longer flights I need the ability to turn my legs. Never been an issue. Really great benefit.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I don't see why it wouldn't get refunded, WN canceled the ticket. If they refused to refund it, I would be disputing it with my credit card company. You purchased a ticket and they refused to give you the service you contracted for. I am a COS but since my financial situation has tightened I've not purchased a additional ticket beforehand and gone to the gate agent and requested one (yes, that is in their policy its posted online). Technically they are supposed to give you a seat even if it overbooks them but if it is questionable if you qualify, I think that they will probably deny you especially because of their increased LF due to the MAX8 grounding. I was lectured at check-in at MCO because according to the agent I was supposed to purchase the extra ticket before /hand but my way is allowed and I would not do it that way if I could afford to lay out the money.
I never knew that. I knew you could request the second seat at check-in, but I always figured that if the flight was sold out they'd simply tell you there was no availability.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I'm 6' 5" and 280. On flights 90 mins or less, I don't get a COS ticket. I can put the rests down and tough it out. Longer flights I need the ability to turn my legs. Never been an issue. Really great benefit.
I'm 6'-3" and about 300lb. I essentially don't fit in a single seat any more, but when I was a little thinner and could fit in one seat, I 'toughed it out" a few times. Even on a 90-minute flight, it was torture, not only because of knee room, but because my shoulders are wide enough that I was forced to lean into the wall the whole time to avoid infringing on my neighbor. Even if I lost enough weight to get the armrest down again, I'd still be buying two seats, no matter the length of the flight.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

I just finished my first trip as a COS - everything went well on the outbound flight. On the return the OA thought something was off because she saw me listed twice in the system without an extra seat designation next to my name on the computer screen. I was sent to the GA desk where a supervisor (I think) came and looked at my ticket and said everything was okay - both my regular boarding pass and the seat reserved document had the same boarding position. He walked me back to the OA podium and he told her that everything was okay and I boarded. I missed pre-boarding as a result but fortunately they were not too far into the boarding process at that moment and I was still able to find two seats together.

I wonder if this was related to me purchasing the extra seat in advance. I wonder how many people choose this method versus asking for a second seat at the gate - perhaps that looks different on the OA's computer screen somehow?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
I just finished my first trip as a COS - everything went well on the outbound flight. On the return the OA thought something was off because she saw me listed twice in the system without an extra seat designation next to my name on the computer screen. I was sent to the GA desk where a supervisor (I think) came and looked at my ticket and said everything was okay - both my regular boarding pass and the seat reserved document had the same boarding position. He walked me back to the OA podium and he told her that everything was okay and I boarded. I missed pre-boarding as a result but fortunately they were not too far into the boarding process at that moment and I was still able to find two seats together.

I wonder if this was related to me purchasing the extra seat in advance. I wonder how many people choose this method versus asking for a second seat at the gate - perhaps that looks different on the OA's computer screen somehow?
I think WN's system has some kind of glitch in it. My last several flights, I booked a second seat in advance as I have been for years, and checked in at the gate as usual, but they always seem to have some difficulty with the computer suystem that takes upwards of five minutes to clear, and twice they've had to make phone calls to get it straightened out.

Moral of the story: When booked as a COS, always get to the gate way early and check in before boarding.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I think WN's system has some kind of glitch in it. My last several flights, I booked a second seat in advance as I have been for years, and checked in at the gate as usual, but they always seem to have some difficulty with the computer suystem that takes upwards of five minutes to clear, and twice they've had to make phone calls to get it straightened out.

Moral of the story: When booked as a COS, always get to the gate way early and check in before boarding.
I agree with this! Generally, there is always some kind of "problem" with checking in that will have to be taken care of before I can get checked in. I always allow plenty of time at the airport because of this. Last time I flew, the lady at the check in counter was insistent that I shouldn't have paid for my seat in advance (I'm definitely a COS so no issue with that) and that they would provide me with an extra seat when I show up at the gate. I questioned her on that because this particular flight I was on (that I fly every year) is always booked completely or awfully close. I didn't want them to have to bump someone off just because of me. So after messing around on the computer for a while, she had to make a phone call. She told the agent on the phone that I shouldn't have to pay in advance (similar to what she told me) but the agent on the phone must have corrected her. By the time the phone call was over, I was checked in, and the lady at the counter told me to keep doing what I've been doing and purchase the seat in advance. I thought it was strange but at least I knew that I was doing it the right way. I don't mind paying and getting the refund later, I think it's easier for everyone.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Has anyone ever questioned your COS status?

This roughly describes me...6'4" 275.

As an A-lister, I'm almost always an aisle seat because shoulder room is my biggest issue. Once in a blue moon, I grab the infinite legroom seat and trade shoulders for legs but sometimes end up regretting it depending on who sits in that middle seat.

Armrests always go down and I don't need a seat beat extension, so I just assumed I'd never qualify as a COS. But reading this thread, it sounds like there are more people similar to me who are able to do it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Has anyone ever questioned your COS status?

This roughly describes me...6'4" 275.

As an A-lister, I'm almost always an aisle seat because shoulder room is my biggest issue. Once in a blue moon, I grab the infinite legroom seat and trade shoulders for legs but sometimes end up regretting it depending on who sits in that middle seat.

Armrests always go down and I don't need a seat beat extension, so I just assumed I'd never qualify as a COS. But reading this thread, it sounds like there are more people similar to me who are able to do it.
Not one time. Its always booked in advance and I just tell them at check in that I have the extra seat. Never been an issue.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Something is going with the Cancelbot's programming. It has gotten more aggressive in cancelling legitimate XS reservations that it thinks are dupes. It even cancelled the original ticket and left the XS ticket intact. WN Customer Relations wasn't able to fix this week's episode and had to involve IT management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.