Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CS fall during Irrops - all is well that ends well, I guess

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

So we were coming home from San Francisco (actually OAK) this weekend, connecting in Denver. Weather was a little dicey in Denver, delaying our initial flight to the point where we'd miss our connecting flight to FLL. OAK staff wanted us to change our connection to TPA, overnight there, and fly to FLL in the morning. I was unconvinced that the FLL flight would be leaving on time, given the delay of that incoming plane, but the WN system didn't reflect that yet and the agent was insistent that we change. I asked the agent if there was any way they could protect our seats on the original flight, if we did actually have time to make it. She said no, but that they'd accommodate us if they could. I was unhappy with that answer and asked a different way, but that just upset her and I decided to just thank her and step away.

We decided to risk it and stuck with our original connection, because to me it looked like there was no way it could possibly go out on time. I also self protected us (using points) on the DEN-TPA flight. About an hour into our OAK-DEN flight, the FLL flight finally posted a two hour delay. We canceled the TPA flight and made it home about 90 minutes after originally planned. Incidentally, the TPA flight departed the gate about ten minutes after we landed in Denver. I am unsure if they would have held the flight if we had been switched to that one.

Anyway, I was pleased that they were immediately willing to rebook us in a way that got us pretty close to home, but really surprised / unhappy that they could not offer any protection or priority on our original flight if we took then up on the change. Was the agent just mistaken? Or does the system really make our play (self protection on overlapping flights) the best move?

Relatedly, I had another couple of backup plans in place in case BOTH our 'booked' flights were missed, but was hesitant to book them all. None should have auto canceled, as all left before the overnight scan of reservations, but I'm careful to avoid flags on my account if possible. If the FLL leg hadn't been delayed - I was a bit afraid they'd use another plane and fly on time - and it became evident we'd miss the TPA flight, I'd have changed the points booking to the next of the backup flights. Is all this dancing necessary, and was there a better way for us to play it?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This was far from a customer service fail. WN does not double book passengers and, in fact, can be quite aggressive about cancelling "impossible" tickets.

Even the legacies only "protect" multiple seats for their very top-level elites and, even then, only when there is good availability.

While it is always nice for the individual being protected, it is terrible for others. Particularly so because WN does not overbook and that means that you would have taken 2 seats out of circulation.

Glad it worked out, but the agent did what he ought to have done.
NextTrip and BearX220 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:57 pm

Not sure what you expected. I don't see a CS issue here.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
the whole protection thing also requires an airline to OVERBOOK. WN appears to be very much against doing that.
Often1, steved5480 and NextTrip like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

So, if we had taken their advice and switched to Tampa, and arrived after they closed the door for that flight, we should be OK with having no priority to get back onto our original flight? I'm not talking about boarding position, I'm talking about just being guaranteed a seat on the flight we booked. I understand why they wouldn't want ME to do what I did, but I'm fuzzy on why there isn't some way for them to make that not the prudent play.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:45 pm

Agents have neither the time to problem solve and explore variables, nor the inclination. You are always your best resource.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Originally Posted by Often1
While it is always nice for the individual being protected, it is terrible for others. Particularly so because WN does not overbook and that means that you would have taken 2 seats out of circulation.
my read of the op is that he was not taking 2 seats out of circulation. if wn has sold 146 or 173 seats, and there are standbys, then at T-10 he would have forfeited his seat(s). as it was, he canceled the self-protection in flight from oak to den.

full applause for the op. we the traveling public did not create the combat environment we fly in. the airlines, the street, and their jointly captured lobby put us where we are: travel is war. tradecraft is necessary for self-protection.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I think YOU played it right with the "self-protection" and as a victim a few times of similar circumstance, would not hesitate to do it again. Can't blame the Agents who are using limited information that can & will change on the fly after you are long gone and out of their hair.

Plus whether they will hold for you is a complete crap shoot, I was once booked on identical last-of-the-day flights a week apart - once they left without 4 of us, the following week we sat for an hour waiting for 4 connecting passengers.

With IRROPS & standby and last minute changes, I doubt anyone is really affected in practice by the self-protection. I also believe WN does overbook to some small unpublished degree especially in these circumstances. Planes are too full otherwise.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
my read of the op is that he was not taking 2 seats out of circulation. if wn has sold 146 or 173 seats, and there are standbys, then at T-10 he would have forfeited his seat(s). as it was, he canceled the self-protection in flight from oak to den.

full applause for the op. we the traveling public did not create the combat environment we fly in. the airlines, the street, and their jointly captured lobby put us where we are: travel is war. tradecraft is necessary for self-protection.
If that is the case, then why should OP have confirmed space on two flights while some other passenger has to stand by?

You are confusing your odd view of competition policy and supply & demand with winners & losers. In any event, WN does just fine. This one is simply a question of which passenger wins and loses. OP or some other person.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I also believe WN does overbook to some small unpublished degree especially in these circumstances. Planes are too full otherwise.
With speculative booking contagious - how could they not?

Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:00 am

Even the legacies only "protect" multiple seats for their very top-level elites and, even then, only when there is good availability.
This isn't true, pretty much my whole no status family has been backed up on DL in the past year at some point. They couldn't back up if you changed your final destination, but I had a confirmed seat on two flights to the same place showing on my reservation.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njf1003
This isn't true, pretty much my whole no status family has been backed up on DL in the past year at some point. They couldn't back up if you changed your final destination, but I had a confirmed seat on two flights to the same place showing on my reservation.
I think that was why I was so surprised - both Delta and American have done this for me several times. Only occasionally have had status with American, and never with Delta. I was (am?) just disbelieving that WN doesn't have a similar way to protect original bookings if things are looking to go sideways. Apparently that's just how it is with Southwest. Can't say that I like it, but it's not like I'm not capable of handling it myself.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just part of the Southwest model. Other airlines do things differenty. Just the way it is.

But - they are still the #1 domestic carrier in # of passengers.

Their model is successful and works.

Not saying the DL/AA/UA model is better than WN - just different.

In particular:
Boarding process - some are fine, some hate it.. but it is different
2 free bags vs charges
easy change in flights without nasty fees

4,000 flights per day and going strong
njf1003 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Just part of the Southwest model. Other airlines do things differenty. Just the way it is.

But - they are still the #1 domestic carrier in # of passengers.

Their model is successful and works.

Not saying the DL/AA/UA model is better than WN - just different.

In particular:
Boarding process - some are fine, some hate it.. but it is different
2 free bags vs charges
easy change in flights without nasty fees

4,000 flights per day and going strong
Toga!! Toga!!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
You are confusing your odd view of competition policy and supply & demand with winners & losers. In any event, WN does just fine. This one is simply a question of which passenger wins and loses. OP or some other person.
I'm not confusing anything. We're no longer in "Free to Choose" land.

Competition, supply, demand, winners (plural) and losers (plural) are no longer relevant. This is war. Travel Combat is a zero-sum game. "Some other person" is not relevant. Either the OP wins, or loses. The effect on any one else in the ecosystem is no longer relevant. If I'm the OP, I choose me.
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by seat7a.speedbird2.030828; Jun 25, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: +(plural)x2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.