Business Select question

Old Jun 20, 19, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Business Select question

I am now the proud owner of 120,000 Rapid Rewards points. I am trying to travel to Nashville the Sunday after Thanksgiving, WGA fares are sold out, and Business Select is only 1,000 more than Anytime fares. I understand that you get A1-15 boarding, do you have to check yourself in or do you get Early Bird? If I were to only check in 4 hours before departure, would I still get A1-15? Trying to figure out if it's worth it. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:05 pm

Yes, you'd at least get A15 by purchasing BS and you'd need to check in eventually if you aren't A-List
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:37 pm

You can always book Business Select and cancel it if a Wanna Get Away fare opens up. They just return your points to your account.
kennycrudup and SwaBiz like this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Plt AA, DIA HHONORS, Hertz PC
To answer directly, You don’t have to buy early bird. You are guaranteed somewhere in A-1 through A15. You do have to check in to actually get a boarding pass at sometime before your flight.
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:32 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And, you get one drink coupon... it will show on your boarding pass on your phone.
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS
I've been on 3 or 4 BS fares in the past couple of months and each time, about 23.5 hours before departure, my WN app has notified me of my boarding position. I was not automatically checked in, but the boarding position was assigned without needing to check in.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by flg8rmatt View Post
I've been on 3 or 4 BS fares in the past couple of months and each time, about 23.5 hours before departure, my WN app has notified me of my boarding position. I was not automatically checked in, but the boarding position was assigned without needing to check in.

Correct. This is relatively recent change. Previously, on a BS fare you needed to check-in in order to receive your boarding position, and those positions were assigned based on the order of check-in. Now, positions are assigned at some point prior to t-24, and it's unknown what the ranking criteria are. One theory is time of BS purchase, another is ticket cost. To my knowledge, to date Southwest hasn't acknowledged the change or specified what the criteria are.
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don’t see how it could be ticket cost. BS fares are relatively stable and don’t seem to change as they sell out.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I donít see how it could be ticket cost. BS fares are relatively stable and donít seem to change as they sell out.
Does Southwest offer a discount to large volume corporate purchasers? That could change the prices for different purchasers.
Old Jul 1, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to get a 5% discount on BS fares using SWA Biz / Concur sometimes making them a bit cheaper than AT. Previous to the updated auto check in though.

Wouldn't think that would move the needle much, I never saw hoards of BS buyers on my flights.