FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Fares were lower in last week's sale than the "Birthday" sale (Happy Birthday to Me) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1974530-fares-were-lower-last-weeks-sale-than-birthday-sale-happy-birthday-me.html)

danielonn Jun 18, 2019 7:09 am

Fares were lower in last week's sale than the "Birthday" sale (Happy Birthday to Me)

I was checking my flights during the SW fare sale and it increased in price if I were to rebook it.

I got a better r/t in July SJC-LAX for $106. Flying the same route in September is $140 so for $60 more on Delta you can fly in First Class and 2 bags.

If SW were $106 to LA in September then great

My TPA-SJC one way flight jumped to $260 from $207.

Where are the LUV deals? Happy Birthday to me! Ah I get it Southwest wants us to fork over money to cover free drinks on their Bday! Il take the savings and use my Priority Pass at Rock and Brews at LAX T1 where I can get $28 or $56 in credit using my PP or pay $6 each way /fot a drink on board.

​​​​​​Southwest increased the price for their present. Guess who the sale benefits? Unless you got a fare decrease to prove me wrong.

Their Anniversary Sale was the better deal. My elusive travel fortune teller told me to book it then and not now. See what happens when the Amadeus genie speaks.

Nirvana91 Jun 18, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 31214407)
I was checking my flights during the SW fare sale and it increased in price if I were to rebook it.

I got a better r/t in July SJC-LAX for $106. Flying the same route in September is $140 so for $60 more on Delta you can fly in First Class and 2 bags.

My TPA-SJC one way flight jumped to $260 from $207.

Where are the LUV deals? Happy Birthday to me! Ah I get it Southwest wants us to fork over money to cover free drinks on their Bday! Il take the savings and use my Priority Pass at Rock and Brews at LAX T1 where I can get $28 or $56 in credit using my PP or pay $6 each way /fot a drink on board.

​​​​​​Southwest increased the price for their present. Guess who the sale benefits? Unless you got a fare decrease to prove me wrong.

Their Anniversary Sale was the better deal. My elusive travel fortune teller told me to book it then and not now. See what happens when the Amadeus genie speaks.

Southwest is the only airline where you are able to refare your tickets and obtain either a) usable funds for a future ticket or b) a refund in the points differential. None of other airlines allow this without a significant penalty. So I'm not sure what the point of your post is. You're complaining that prices went up for flights you have already booked? In that case you should be happy that you booked them when you did. I'm sorry that you were not able to take advantage of WN's refaring opportunities, but if you had booked with any other airline you wouldn't even have the option of refaring anyway. If you made a conscious decision to purchase the flights for the fares you obtained, you obviously found that the amount of money you were paying was fair enough at the time. Why should that change now?

If instead you are simply complaining that WN prices are high in comparison to other airlines, then just book with them. If DL in F is ~$60 more for the same route, nothing is stopping you from canceling your ticket (and getting a usable credit) and booking with DL. The easiest way to protest high fares from WN is to book with other carriers.

smmrfld Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am

Southwest increased the price for their present. Guess who the sale benefits? Unless you got a fare decrease to prove me wrong.

Many of us saved significantly by rebooking during the sale. You didn’t. Not sure what point you’re trying to make that hasn’t already been covered in the thread dedicated to this topic.

danielonn Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am

I know about rebooking and I monitor my trips and refare them.

dmbolp Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

You're seeing Delta First Class round trip at $200?!? I just ran their flexible dates 5-weeks for September and cheapest that comes up is $448.

synk Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am

I don't recall what prices were last week, but my guess it likely they cheaper. Maybe so many people booked during last week's sale that the prices went up. Either way, it's already lower than that--at least $98 if not lower.

dmbolp Jun 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by synk (Post 31215275)
I don't recall what prices were last week, but my guess it likely they cheaper. Maybe so many people booked during last week's sale that the prices went up. Either way, it's already lower than that--at least $98 if not lower.

danielonn is speaking in R/T terms

synk Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

It's $98 r/t.

dmbolp Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by synk (Post 31215806)
It's $98 r/t.

My bad, I was reading this as SLC, not SJC, and now I see the low fare every day of SEPT for SJC-LAX, both directions, is $54 (except for SUNDAYS LAX-SJC)

Edit: And I see Delta First Class SJC-LAX is $234, so $126 more that Southwest

synk Jun 18, 2019 3:26 pm

The price is lower than that because the airports and dates/times don't matter right now. Like smmrfld said, check the other threads on rebooking.

hotturnip Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

You people were actually able to understand that first post?

danielonn Jun 19, 2019 4:20 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31215097)
You're seeing Delta First Class round trip at $200?!? I just ran their flexible dates 5-weeks for September and cheapest that comes up is $448.

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31216025)
My bad, I was reading this as SLC, not SJC, and now I see the low fare every day of SEPT for SJC-LAX, both directions, is $54 (except for SUNDAYS LAX-SJC)

Edit: And I see Delta First Class SJC-LAX is $234, so $126 more that Southwest

2 weeks ago DL was $200 r/t in First or 17000 miles.

smmrfld Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 31217085)
You people were actually able to understand that first post?

OP's posts in this and other FT fora are often, to say the least, entertaining. The problem is that he has frequently posted "advice" that is inappropriate, unworkable, and outlandish; this is a disservice to fora readers seeking accurate information.