Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Southwest generally have good fares when they load their flights ?

Old Jun 17, 19, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Ask, as have a few dozen groups(as in family groups from 2 to 8 people) from our ski club in Australia, wanting tickets such as LAX/DEN, SFO/DEN & from other LA & San Fran airports in January after January 5. Note that the flights after January 5, are to be loaded July 10. Not sure what time this occurs. Does anyone know ? Is it Dallas time ?

Anyway, do they come out with cheaper fares, straight away ? Realise that the cheapest fares might be departing at 5am or 10pm, but that's ok, it's just that many are on really tight budgets.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:25 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Those fares are not going to move around much right after being loaded.

As to good and not good. It varies widely by market. When you look at their rate calendars, you will see rates move up and down depending on day of week - sometimes.

Since you are coming so far, let me warn you that the Denver airport is a long ways from Denver. And rental vehicles are not cheap. But ski areas west of Denver are great!
cmx likes this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Those fares are not going to move around much right after being loaded.

As to good and not good. It varies widely by market. When you look at their rate calendars, you will see rates move up and down depending on day of week - sometimes.

Since you are coming so far, let me warn you that the Denver airport is a long ways from Denver. And rental vehicles are not cheap. But ski areas west of Denver are great!
Thanks.

Ski club members often try to fly on Tuesdays, when flights are often cheapest. We can get reasonably cheap Hertz cars through a 3rd party (cheaper than Hertz direct). Just looked and can get a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder for around US$100 fully inclusive for a day one way. We usually drop them off at Hertz at Frisco & stay on snow as it's so cheap, often cheaper than staying in places like Frisco. We always try to jam 7 people into a 7 seater & literally tie any luggage or skis to roof of car. This way the car & fuel costs less than US$20 each way for each person.

We just got lift tickets at Copper Mt for US$37 an adult a day, with 4 kids for free. Only catch was we had to book on snow accommodations, but that wasn't expensive. From US$162 for a small apartment that sleeps up to 6 people, right near the lifts.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:48 pm

Southwest isn’t really that “cheap” anymore. Extremely flexible - yes. Two free bags - yes. But not especially “cheap.”

My guess is you will find basic economy fares cheap if you look now and are somewhat flexible. No great need to wait until WN publishes the next schedule. If you see something good on DL, UA, AS, AA.... book it!
Old Jun 18, 19, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
Southwest isn’t really that “cheap” anymore. Extremely flexible - yes. Two free bags - yes. But not especially “cheap.”

My guess is you will find basic economy fares cheap if you look now and are somewhat flexible. No great need to wait until WN publishes the next schedule. If you see something good on DL, UA, AS, AA.... book it!
thanks.

Presume when Southwest load their millions of seats/fares all at once, that other airlines adjust their airfares downwards, due to supply (less competition before Southwest load their flights)
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post

I think WN is going to be pretty hard to beat on something like this (I am assuming they are going to have checked bags since it is a ski club coming from Australia). If you look at the current schedule there are plenty of Tuesdays and Wednesdays with fares around $60 o/w on LAX-DEN.
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 View Post
Anyway, do they come out with cheaper fares, straight away ?
On the rare occasions I've bought tickets many months in advance, I've eventually re-fared them to a lower price later as the price inevitably drops. Every time. But its not often I buy so far in advance.

There are many folks here who buy on the day the new dates go on sale though.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:55 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I know you are already set. But there is train from the west coast to Denver. Takes 2 days though. But, it does have a stop at Winter Park Ski Resort.

Future options.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:43 pm

Presume when Southwest load their millions of seats/fares all at once, that other airlines adjust their airfares downwards, due to supply (less competition before Southwest load their flights)
Generally, no. The airlines are all well-familiar with this dance, and WN often doesn't load the cheapest fare buckets on day 1. Once in a while you can find a great deal on the day of the schedule release but I'd say that happens less than 30% of the time.

Regardless, WN normally releases the new schedule around 6 AM "Herb time"; i..e CST in the US. Good luck!
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

just looked up Southwest & they seem to have changed their flight loading date from 10 July to 15 August

from WN website below.

Does this happen often ?

>>>

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 15, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
It will keep happening until the MAX8s start flying.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
just looked up Southwest & they seem to have changed their flight loading date from 10 July to 15 August

from WN website below.

Does this happen often ?

>>>

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 15, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
It is pretty common for that date to fluctuate by a few weeks.
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
I would not bother as IME the past few years the fares are always very high when schedule is released. That being said we usually fly WN to SLC as the midweek (and Saturday) fares are almost impossible to beat and they don't charge extra for all the checked ski equipment. DEN is more competitive, and of course WN does not fly to ASE, EGE, etc. WN is also a good option for RNO if you want to ski Lake Tahoe.

I know you are already set. But there is train from the west coast to Denver. Takes 2 days though. But, it does have a stop at Winter Park Ski Resort.

Future options.

Having taken the train 2x now I would highly recommend against it. Plane is 2 hours and far cheaper. And I could not sleep on train - it was more noisy and bumpy than bad turbulence on a plane.