Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Converting Rapid Rewards Points to Rental Car Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience using their Southwest Rapid Reward points to buy a Budget Rental Car Certificate on the SWA RR 'More Rewards' marketplace? (Apparently 'More Rewards' is available only if you have a SWA Rapid Rewards credit card.)

I have a trip that I am planning to take that is not on SWA . . . and I currently have a lot of SWA RR Points . . . and realized that I could buy enough of the Budget certificates to cover my rental car. There does not appear to be anything on line that says I have to use these in conjunction with a SWA flight.

Just looking for someone else who may have already done this transaction.

Thanks

Martin
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Easily done but but not of great value. Here is a full week in MCI, the cheapest option listed. The points could get you $376 at Amazon plus cost another $150 in hard cash. You should be able to rent at 1/2 that. Even worse if you used the points on airfare. But can be done if you don't care. Maybe Amazon has car rental gift cards?Total Basic Price36,385 PointsOther Tax1,210 PointsTotal Price37,595 PointsAdditional charges could apply at the time of pick up.CONCESSN RECOV FEE$26.27ARENA FEE REC$28.00ENERGY SURCHARGE$1.49STATE TAX$24.85TRANS FACILITY CHG$41.51VEH LIC COST REC$12.67
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Well, this was not exactly the route I was going to take. I was not going to actually book the rental car and pay with the points, because I agree that locks you in to the rates that SWA wants to display / charge you.
Rather I was going to convert points to certificates that I could use to pay for a car that I had booked myself. Same redemption rate - 5000 points = $50 Budget Rental Certificate.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by SWATraveler2020
Well, this was not exactly the route I was going to take. I was not going to actually book the rental car and pay with the points, because I agree that locks you in to the rates that SWA wants to display / charge you.
Rather I was going to convert points to certificates that I could use to pay for a car that I had booked myself. Same redemption rate - 5000 points = $50 Budget Rental Certificate.
If you don't pay the full bill with a credit card I don't think you get the rental insurance, my wife gets full rental insurance at National as part of her rate through work but if you don't have a deal like that it might be something to consider before paying with certificates

BTW, 25,000 WN points for $250 is still a bad redemption IMO.............25k is over $350 in flights............if you use companion pass double that.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
BTW, 25,000 WN points for $250 is still a bad redemption IMO.............25k is over $350 in flights............if you use companion pass double that.
I will agree fully that this is not the best redemption rate . . . . but I typically end up with way more SWA RR Points that I can redeem in a year on flights, so converting them to something else to offset hard cash expenses makes sense to me.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:43 pm

I will agree fully that this is not the best redemption rate . . . . but I typically end up with way more SWA RR Points that I can redeem in a year on flights, so converting them to something else to offset hard cash expenses makes sense to me.

If it works for you great, we have about 500K WN and millions more across other airlines but I don't like to waste them

How about the insurance ?

The way WN has increased prices over the past year or so I would hold on to them.............I am paying 4 times what I was
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Didn't see those certs, my bad. A much better "bad" option. Same redemption as the Amazon .01 "floor". I'm kind of in the same boat, loads of points but limited options to travel for various reasons over the next few years, Amazon is looking better every day.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I could buy enough of the Budget certificates to cover my rental car.
If you're going to use Budget certs, you should check when they are blacked out. I have not been able to use my Avis certs (same company) all summer, they are blacked out through August 22.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:04 pm

There is a limit to how much or many certificates Budget will accept- $300 comes to mind. Double check with the car company before redeeming points for the certificates. Also check if the remainder of the certificate won’t be lost if you only use a partial amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.