Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA "No Flight Change", can I stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Question SWA "No Flight Change", can I stay?

Hi everyone,

I have a flight this week from Houston to Tuscon. The plane stops at San Diego (no flight change). My question is, can I get off the plane and stay in San Diego?
If yes, what about my checked bags?
I planned on driving from Tuscon to San Diego anyway, so this would save me a LOT of time.

Please let me know as soon as you can!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sure, you can get off. But - a checked bag could be a problem since it will be checked through to Tuscon. Carry on?

I assume you have priced just going to San Diego - though I am guessing at this point it would be a high fare.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:23 pm

You can get off in SAN, but any checked baggage will go to TUS. If you can manage carry-on only...you’ll be fine.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sure, you can get off. But - a checked bag could be a problem since it will be checked through to Tuscon. Carry on?

I assume you have priced just going to San Diego - though I am guessing at this point it would be a high fare.
Yeah, a flight to San Diego was $300 more.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Don't forget: You won't get any RR points for this trip, and if this is the outgoing half of a round-trip your return (may? / will?) be cancelled. And tell the Gate Agent when you leave so their count won't be off.

Last edited by dansachs; Jun 13, 2019 at 2:13 pm Reason: Left out a thought
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Book a one-way.
Don't check a bag.
You will not receive any RR points.
Advise the FA that you are deplaning.
Be aware that in IROPS Southwest is responsible for getting you to final destination, not intermediate stop(s).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't tell the GA. If the onwards segment is delayed or cancelled, you will be entitled to a refund for that segment. If you have already cancelled it, you won't.

WN should be keeping a count of through passengers who remain onboard and then a count of passengers who board, whether they originate at SAN or not,
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Slader166
I have a flight this week from Houston to Tuscon...I planned on driving from Tuscon to San Diego
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sure, you can get off. But - a checked bag could be a problem since it will be checked through to Tuscon.
:-: Tucson.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't tell the GA. If the onwards segment is delayed or cancelled, you will be entitled to a refund for that segment. If you have already cancelled it, you won't.

WN should be keeping a count of through passengers who remain onboard and then a count of passengers who board, whether they originate at SAN or not,

I disagree with this advice. Hidden cities are not disallowed, but as more people take advantage of that they may start clamping down.

If they KNOW you are not continuing on you, they can close the door and push back as soon as everyone is boarded with possible early departure if ready vs them waiting till the last minute and paging a passenger that has no intention of coming back and holding pushback.

Kinda selfish to keep everyone wondering where you are since you were on the first leg IMO.
Tanic, nsx, OzzyOzzie and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Originally Posted by Often1

OP: never put specifics in your post about your hidden-city plans. If you don't know what that means, please look it up.

My opinions (which I believe have solid backing; sources and methods: eyes only).

1. Unless specifically told not to by LUV employees (and the only reason is typically due to time constraints on the turn), you are allowed to deplane at any intermediate stop if you so choose.

2. If you deplane you MUST take your carryon belongings with you (TSA).

3. Some gate agents will ask to re-board the through pax who wished to deplane before anyone else, including wheelchairs, customers of size, and any other pre-boarders. But i have never seen a deplaner be called for over the PA to join this pre- pre-boarding through-pax re-boarding.

4. I would never deplane with no intent to re-board without telling an FA in the plane and the GA at the top of the jetway. "Your plans changed now that you have arrived and you are going to surrender the remainder of your transportation. However, if the flight cancels you would appreciate processing the remainder of your ticket for standard compensation in exchange for your pro-active honesty about the change in your travel plans."

5. #4 provides unassailable plausible deniability regarding your intentions at the time you purchased your ticket. You are by default, ipso facto, not guilty of any violation of any contract of carriage of an US Part 121 air carrier if you notify the airline that your plans changed when you landed at station X.

5. As George told Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie, if you believe it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
OP: never put specifics in your post about your hidden-city plans. If you don't know what that means, please look it up.

My opinions (which I believe have solid backing; sources and methods: eyes only).
Wow. You have conspiracy issues, in my opinion.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828

1. Unless specifically told not to by LUV employees (and the only reason is typically due to time constraints on the turn), you are allowed to deplane at any intermediate stop if you so choose.

2. If you deplane you MUST take your carryon belongings with you (TSA).

* I see no reason to not reveal city pair here. Even if your id is your real name, it is not like WN has time to deal with this crap

* If you are not going to continue, then you do not need permission to get off. You just stand up and leave.

* If you are going to leave, you would of course take your carryon. If you are just getting off for a minute, you can easily just leave your carryon - at your own risk. Not like TSA is gonna come searching. Granted, someone could get all conspiracy on you and think it is a bomb or something.

* Yes, I would let at least a FA know you are leaving and why their headcount will be wrong even before they board. And of course wrong at the final headcount.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dansachs
if this is the outgoing half of a round-trip your return (may? / will?) be cancelled.
Will be, assuming they "catch" you.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:06 am

The “catch” is automatic/easy isn’t it? It’s just the unscanned boarding pass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.