SWA "No Flight Change", can I stay?

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp
The “catch” is automatic/easy isn’t it? It’s just the unscanned boarding pass
Yes... that will kick out the other half of the ticket.

I suppose, depending on your skills, you cold argue later that you indeed did fly that leg and their system messed up somehow. It happens.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:25 am

There wouldn't be any boarding pass scan for the second leg of a through flight. If OP does the proper thing and says he isn't continuing, do they record his name, match it with his record, and cancel the return? If the through count is short, in this day (as I've seen reported before) do they check IDs of all thrus to see who's missing?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rove312
There wouldn't be any boarding pass scan for the second leg of a through flight. If OP does the proper thing and says he isn't continuing, do they record his name, match it with his record, and cancel the return? If the through count is short, in this day (as I've seen reported before) do they check IDs of all thrus to see who's missing?

Good catch. There would not be a rescan of the boarding pass unless there was equipment change. So, then it comes down to the headcount. No idea if they would take action before boarding started if they were short "through passengers". And, it could even be wrong or missed?

If the flight was sold out, they might discover an empty seat eventually. But at that point, they would have no idea who was missing.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Good catch. There would not be a rescan of the boarding pass unless there was equipment change. So, then it comes down to the headcount. No idea if they would take action before boarding started if they were short "through passengers". And, it could even be wrong or missed?

If the flight was sold out, they might discover an empty seat eventually. But at that point, they would have no idea who was missing.
I have not experienced this but as a through they do count and if the number matches they just keep going. I have not idea what they do if the number doesn't match. Someone may have experienced that but usually there aren't too many throughs so they probably just check the throughs and see who is missing, before allowing boarding.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 17, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:49 pm

It's been a few years since I've seen discussion of it here. It's clear that if the count is high, they try to determine, by checking IDs if necessary, who might be on a segment they haven't booked. If the count is short, Employees have said they try to locate the missing pax, doing a page in the terminal if needed; I'm not sure how much that happens nowadays.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, once 3 of us were on a 3 leg, no plane change, 9 hour marathon getting back from the west coast and we had BP's for the last hop (it was cheaper to book 2 then 1). Was not going to deplane and come back on.

I tried in vain to show/give/tell the counting FA that count would be off by 3 but she couldn't have cared less, deplaned immediately and presumably dumped the "problem" onto the GA.

I waited at the entrance with the BP's for a few minutes and the GA appeared, I explained again, showed some ID and all was well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.