Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled return leg not depositing points

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Cancelled return leg not depositing points

A flight was booked for me as a round trip from work. I made my outbound flight, then cancelled the return.

I tried https://www.southwest.com/myaccount/...st-past-points and it errored out. Then I called in and they said I must use the remaining travel funds from the cancelled flight. Is there any way to force that outbound leg to deposit without flying on the remaining funds?
Old May 6, 2019, 7:40 pm

Which type of fare?

Wanna Get Away? You get travel funds

Anytime or Business Select? You can get a refund; don't know if booking a round trip impacts that
Old May 6, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Outbound was Anytime, return leg was WGA. I have the money sitting in a travel fund now, I'm just surprised it won't credit me with the one way flight (needed for status challenge by the end of the May).
Old May 6, 2019, 8:36 pm

FLyertalk ate my rely;

I never ran into this "policy" before. Since you cancelled the flight it doesn't seem right.
I would use Twitter, send and Email and Call the Customer Relations line in Dallas.

This is Yet Another Reason to only Book one ways.

As a last resort you could always book a flight using teh Travel Funds and not show up. You lose the funds but get the points.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As a last resort you could always book a flight using teh Travel Funds and not show up. You lose the funds but get the points.
I don't think that would work. Unless you have a butt in seat for the entire booked revenue, the points will not post.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
FLyertalk ate my rely;

I never ran into this "policy" before. Since you cancelled the flight it doesn't seem right.
I would use Twitter, send and Email and Call the Customer Relations line in Dallas.

This is Yet Another Reason to only Book one ways.

I can't speak from experience as I always book one ways. However, the rules do say that you don't get points for flown portion until the entire ticket is completed. As the OP states that the return was WGA, those funds are going to have to be used before the outbound points will post. If they book but don't fly, the ticket will get cancelled when they no show and cancellation doesn't count as completing the ticket in this case. So my guess is that's why the points haven't posted and they won't until the OP uses the TTF's and flys that flight.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

I sent an email about it, and will try twitter. I'll update the thread when I get a response. I always book one ways for personal travel, but I'll have to start canceling and rebooking as one ways when my work gets it round trip!
Old May 7, 2019, 1:15 am

I thought that using the remaining funds towards a new ticket would release the previous leg and allow points to be posted for it?

Old May 7, 2019, 9:22 am

The the answer is simply book a flight, pay for it with the entire TTF and a new PNR then cancel that flight and get a new TTF. You might have to add a few bucks to make it work but at least you will get your points.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
WN, like just about every airline only gives miles/points for BUTT IN SEAT. You must fly to get miles.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
WN, like just about every airline only gives miles/points for BUTT IN SEAT. You must fly to get miles.

You might want to re-read the OP.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

The the answer is simply book a flight, pay for it with the entire TTF and a new PNR then cancel that flight and get a new TTF. You might have to add a few bucks to make it work but at least you will get your points.
I tried booking a new flight for the full value of my TTF (plus $5), cancelled it (refunded the $5 as it was within 24 hours), and got a new PNR/TTF. However, it appears that it still won't push the initial leg through.

I know they upgraded the booking system to Amadeus back in 2017 and I'm guessing this is related to the October 10 2018 change that keeps refundable fares refundable even after changes. I'm thinking the money is now always tied back to the initial reservation even with a new PNR. https://dealswelike.boardingarea.com...re-refundable/

The email response was:
"Thank you for contacting us about your Rapid Rewards account. Rapid Rewards Points do not post to a Member’s account until the entire ticket has been completed. If just a portion of the ticket has been flown, no points will be credited to the Rapid Rewards account until the unused portion has been flown, refunded, or used as payment toward another ticket. As long as you complete one of these steps prior to the ticket's expiration date, you will receive the points for the flown segment(s) of your ticket.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)."

I called back in and the CSR told me that the flight won't post until all the money is spent on a flight(s) and actually flown. She said if only part of the money is used for a flight that it still won't post, and if the money ends up being enough to book 4 flights that all four flights would wait and post at the same time.

Their email response and info from post 8 by ursine1 state that it should post since it's now under a new TTF, but that doesn't seem to be how it actually works. Any thoughts of what to do now?
Old May 8, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Possible that using for another ticket, and then cancelling kept it from counting as another ticket.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Possible that using for another ticket, and then cancelling kept it from counting as another ticket.
I would think it shouldn't matter because it's a different TTF now. I shot them another email asking it to be pushed through since I used it for a new ticket, but if that doesn't work I'll book one again, HUCA until they push it through, and then cancel once I get it credited.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book a FULLY refundable ticket that you can wait a few days to cancel. Maybe that will help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.