Wiki Posts
Search

An introduction from Seat Amigo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat Amigo
TomMM,

Thanks for your opinion. Read our FAQ, we don't sell the data.
Of course you don't, until you do. If we only had $0.0000001 for every time that we've heard that.

Working in the Data Privacy field for more than a few years has enlightened me.....
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Tommy boy,

Please, turn that scowl in to a smile. I could say that about EVERYTHING....c'mon pal, have a little faith! Being an attorney I really do understand your pessimism....and frankly, it's easy to say that.....because even if 5 years go by and we haven't sold our data, you could say that again.

Take care my friend....safe travels!

Rusty
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HA!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:20 am

pinniped,

Thanks for your opinions. As I said before, I'll let you all know what Southwest thinks after i speak to them.
Wait, wait, wait...

You have not yet received any communication from Southwest regarding your app and your use of their name?!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:27 am

TomMM,

Thanks for your opinion. Read our FAQ, we don't sell the data. It's a shame that bad apps and wrong doers have poisoned so many of us to naturally be against things we know little about. But I guess that's life.

Tom, you travel safe....and thanks again for your input.

Rusty Shaffer
An FAQ can say anything. I'd suggest people take a closer look at the Terms and Conditions.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Why do LUV pilots practice landing on aircraft carriers?

The turn.

Why do LUV pilots go full-throttle to every cleared altitude?

The turn.

Why do LUV gate agents smile-fork you and flippantly allow line-crashers to board way out of sequence?

The turn.

Why do LUV cabin crew stay out of seat-saving confrontations?

The turn.

What were Herb's dying words as he slipped from consciousness for the last time?

The turn. And the turn. And the turn. /macarthur

Mr. Randymigo, you, sir, are forking with the turn.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
Why do LUV pilots practice landing on aircraft carriers?

The turn.

Why do LUV pilots go full-throttle to every cleared altitude?

The turn.

Why do LUV gate agents smile-fork you and flippantly allow line-crashers to board way out of sequence?

The turn.

Why do LUV cabin crew stay out of seat-saving confrontations?

The turn.

What were Herb's dying words as he slipped from consciousness for the last time?

The turn. And the turn. And the turn. /macarthur

Mr. Randymigo, you, sir, are forking with the turn.
Was this supposed to be funny? If so, fail.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
awful idea

your personal information is subject to ID theft
one of two A-listers has to sit in a middle seat
A-lister and a high B or any C has a low chance of success because it's open seating
subject to misuse by trolls/people with bad intentions

Last edited by Kevin AA; Jun 10, 2019 at 12:09 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Several years ago, Spring Airlines 9c ran a pilot program in which they created Wechat groups for passengers on specific flights. It was actually kind of cool because I could always find others to share taxis on both ends, I made friends, and the group owners were incredibly helpful.

That having been said, the program was killed in less than two months by the airline and/or Tencent.

And, this was long before Cambridge Analytical. These days, companies are - - justifiably - - much more concerned about personally identifiable information. While the OP may well be an experienced attorney, WN has a small army of lawyers that I expect will put on breaks.

Last edited by moondog; Jun 9, 2019 at 4:31 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Was this supposed to be funny? If so, fail.
Considered yourself not entertained.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:51 am

You're correct that Southwest controls the customer experience, however, again, think about meeting someone at the gate and both of you deciding to sit together on the plane. Where's the harm? This is no different, in fact, it's very similar.
Your "hope and a prayer" rationale "where's the harm" is incredibly naiive, but very "smalty". You live near northern california, where there is a trillion dollars floating around looking for ideas like the seat amigo. Here's a video that describes an IoT salt shaker that controls your salt intake, talks to alexa, and is bluetooth-enabled:

Investment money doesn't need a solid business plan to find a home. In fact, I would say the best place to go would have been Uber, but the executive resignations last week is going to leave them in flux for awhile. I would take your idea to lyft, reverse the workflow and make it a ride-sharing extension based on common destination, and then provide the "seatmate" "meet-up" function a subset/option/extension.

There is plenty of "harm" from LUV's perspective, you are a disruptive technology that threatens the core tenet of their business model dating back 40 years, and all they have to do is declare "electronic seat saving of any kind is...." grounds for forfeit of travel? not legal? a violation of the the Contract of Carriage?

Southwest can arbitrarily shut down seat saving as they so choose and kill your app with the snap of a finger. You need to sell your idea to someone with a billion dollars of revenue to hide behind/inside.

And just like that, by typing this, Denton Drive will form an exploratory group to investigate ride-sharing alliances to monetize THEIR pax data.
nsx and joshua362 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
Southwest can arbitrarily shut down seat saving as they so choose and kill your app with the snap of a finger.
I've changed my mind. I now wholeheartedly support Seat Amigo.

Step 1: Seat Amigo gets wildly popular and wildly divisive (because it requires seat saving) at the same time.
Step 2: Southwest steps in and finally puts an end to seat saving after all these years!

Mission accomplished. ^
joshua362, Tanic and Rd3 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've changed my mind. I now wholeheartedly support Seat Amigo.

Step 1: Seat Amigo gets wildly popular and wildly divisive (because it requires seat saving) at the same time.
Step 2: Southwest steps in and finally puts an end to seat saving after all these years!

Mission accomplished. ^
I agree! ^
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:50 pm

The most likely way for Southwest to eliminate seat saving is to go to reserved seating and monitize the desirable seats.
ughunter likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Open seating made sense in the early years when load factors were less than 60%. Now it's a PITA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.