An introduction from Seat Amigo

Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Seat Amigo
I've been A-list preferred for many years and there's many (and I mean many!) times I wished I could have had a choice, or a little control, over who sits next to me.
Passengers controlling the like-mindedness of their seat neighbor contend with airlines seen as gatekeepers of the passenger experience. I'd be surprised if WN is seized by an impulse to partner up.

An annoying business-contact parked in the seat next to me is tolerable given Southwest has relatively short stage lengths. 'Social seating' can be indiscriminately intrusive to private space and time.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
1. I'm hoping in my discussions with Southwest that I can get some sort of API (application programming interface) for their flights so we can have a list for you on t
The comedy value of this thread ended with this statement.

We are now in to Dr Thompson territory.

Fear. And Loathing.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:50 am

Southwest will never, ever allow access to their flight data. They've repeatedly pursued legal action against those who have tried to scrape it and they've already declined sharing it with services who have tried to partner with them.

To be frank, I'm actually somewhat surprised that Seat Amigo hasn't yet received a cease & desist from Southwest, simply for using their name on the website.

Last edited by ursine1; Jun 7, 2019 at 2:02 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:04 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

So if you're a casual flyer, it's $5 per flight.
How are connecting and direct (as opposed to non-stop) flights handled?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:13 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Regarding all the comments about the middle seat: consider that, IMO, there's really not much wrong with a middle seat if all three passengers in the row fit completely within the width dimension of the seats. The middle seat has wider under-seat storage than does the aisle seat, so it has that as an advantage.

My wife and I both qualify as fitting completely within the width dimension of the seats, and neither of us much minds a middle seat with a third qualifying person in the row. The most recent version of our boarding strategy is to grab the closer to the front of either a) a pair of aisle seats or b) an aisle and middle next to a qualifying individual sitting alone at a window. We reconfigure if a qualifying individual claims a window seat in either of our rows after we have taken adjoining aisle seats with empty middle(s).

I can't see paying $5 for what the app says it offers, but I might pay that much or more for my wife and I to be assured seats in a row with a third qualifying individual.

It is grossly unfair that we often receive 3/4 of a seat for our money, while another individual in our row takes 1-1/4 seats for their money.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: none
Go to the gate about 60-120 seconds earlier than you normally would. Find someone you'd like to interact with. (Interact is what we used to do before we planted our noses in whatever device is the current rage.) Strike up a conversation.

Whoever has the earlier boarding position says, I'll find a seat with an open middle next to it and save it for you.

1-2 minutes of your time. Cost=0.
moondog, joshua362 and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
I dont see any value or need for this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
The website says we need to upload a profile picture to it. Do we have to use a real picture, or can I use a cartoon face? How about a picture of a fabulous supermodel? George Clooney? Charles Manson? Charles Barkley? I'm much too camera shy to post a real picture.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I have 3 words

Bose Quiet Comfort

They solve almost all of my problems with air travel.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Hi Legal,

Good points. However, this is no different than meeting someone on your own in the gate area and deciding to sit next to each other. Seat Amigo and its connections Intrusive? You may be right.....you may be wrong. There are people that are loud anyway, intrusive anyway. If little ole Seat Amigo actually creates a ton of people yapping away on a flight.....then i guess that'll be a good problem to have. You are forgetting one thing. Seat Amigo also allows you to find someone quiet to sit next to.

Thanks for the input.

Rusty
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Hi Ursine1,

We are using their name to describe our service and with the proper attribution to their trademark.

Thank you.

Rusty
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Hi ftnoob,

We don't distinguish between direct or connecting flight. When you enter your flight data you also put the departure city.

Thanks

Rusty
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:29 am

Good points. However, this is no different than meeting someone on your own in the gate area and deciding to sit next to each other.
A far better option, in reality.

Free, and free of intrigue.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
'Social seating' can be indiscriminately intrusive to private space and time.
The quieter other passengers are, the better I like it. To the extent that this app increases talking, it's a slight detriment to other customers.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

ftnoob,

That's exactly how you could use it, for the third person in your row!

Thanks

Rusty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.