Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An introduction from Seat Amigo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Just a bit off topic

I am flying Southwest in a couple of weeks. Is there any app they I can use to track my flight while on board? Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:46 pm

This is just weird. In an era when people prefer less intrapersonal communication rather than more, this is a non-starter for many. Would love to see what the Sharks would do with this LOL.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:10 am
jmw

I have many upcoming flights. No chance I'm going to input them in. You need a way to get those in automatically for me.

Having a federated login option might make it easier to get more users. I could take a look at your Facebook too to reduce my risk too.

This feels like a dating app. Besides the pictures of your female models in the demo, I wasn't really looking at the other attributes in the profile since there is very little meat beyond XYZ likes camping and works in the advertising industry. This seems just as forced as a random encounter with the random passenger that fizzles in 30 seconds. There is going to be uncomfortable silence after finding out we have very little in common even if we both work in the same industry and like camping. I would want a profile where each person lists 10+ potential ice breaker/ deep conversation topics like "I'd be glad to give you career advice in the IT industry" or "Let's talk about last night's Warriors vs Raptors NBA finals game" or "I am an aviation geek so ask me anything about the airline industry."
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
I am flying Southwest in a couple of weeks. Is there any app they I can use to track my flight while on board? Thanks
I like FlightAware or Flightradar24. Both are free apps, but you can also pay to upgrade to premium membership with additional information (like age of plane). FlightAware is the gold standard in my opinion. You can track heading, altitude, speed, time to destination and more. I really like the feature “Where is my aircraft now?” You can track your inbound flight to see when it’s going to land. Comes in handy when the airline won’t give you solid information on why you’re flight is being delayed. You can literally see where your plane is at and know for yourself it’s stuck in the ground in XYZ, or 20-minutes from landing.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by boeing727

I like FlightAware or Flightradar24. Both are free apps, but you can also pay to upgrade to premium membership with additional information (like age of plane). FlightAware is the gold standard in my opinion. You can track heading, altitude, speed, time to destination and more. I really like the feature “Where is my aircraft now?” You can track your inbound flight to see when it’s going to land. Comes in handy when the airline won’t give you solid information on why you’re flight is being delayed. You can literally see where your plane is at and know for yourself it’s stuck in the ground in XYZ, or 20-minutes from landing.
It's not quite real time - generally about five minutes behind in my experience - but I also like FlightAware.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by nsx

I predict airlines will not engage with you about the app. All it takes is one of your users to be an axe murderer or Fatal Attraction psycho. No deep pocketed entity would touch this.
10 years ago my mother warned me about meeting people on the Internet, now my Mom uses the Internet to call strangers in their car to come pick her up and take her to the mall.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:30 am

Title:

,’:;-
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi jmw,

Thanks for the comments.

1. I'm hoping in my discussions with Southwest that I can get some sort of API (application programming interface) for their flights so we can have a list for you on the app. Unlike other carriers, there's no publicly available API for Southwest.

2. We plan on having an option whereby a user can make a link to their Facebook and LinkedIn pages available to others. You're right on target with that one.

3. We wanted to keep the hassle of filing out a profile to a minimum, but I do like your idea of the "conversation starter". I'm not sure I agree with your random encounter comment, you certainly know a bit more about a Seat Amigo user/flyer than the complete stranger. Granted, to your earlier point we'll have to work on the sweet spot where the profile information is enough but not too much or too little. We'll get there - and feedback like yours helps!

Thank you for taking the time to look at the app and our website and make your post. I certainly appreciate it!

Rusty Shaffer
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi poximex,

I love it - only a pilot or true aviation aficionado would figure that out - kudos to you! I'm hoping that a beginning relationship with Southwest Airlines will allow us to use some of their pictures. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Rusty
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi smmrfld,

You know, I thought the same thing about uber when it first came out. Why would I get in a car with someone who the state hasn't certified or licensed to drive me to me destination? And what about their car? How do I know it's reliable? It took me (as an older person) a year to fully be comfortable and adopt riding in an uber. Now I use them all the time. My kids, they were on board immediately. I'm sure Seat Amigo will first be adopted by people in their 20's - this IS how they meet people and they don't mind sharing information.

Thanks for your comments, this is a learning experience so we'll see where it goes.

Rusty
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This seems silly. If I were going to be sitting next to the SAME person for 20 flights a year it MIGHT be worth wasting a little time on. But as presented, I wouldn't waste any time on it. Er, well, I just did I guess. But that's it. No more wasted time on it going forward.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi geo979,

Not sure I understand your comment, what do you mean, "if were going to be sitting next to the same person...?" Why would you want to sit next to the same person for 20 flights?

I'm sure you've got a good point to make, it's probably me misunderstanding - give it another crack.

Thanks

Rusty
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Seat Amigo
Hi geo979,

Not sure I understand your comment, what do you mean, "if were going to be sitting next to the same person...?" Why would you want to sit next to the same person for 20 flights?

I'm sure you've got a good point to make, it's probably me misunderstanding - give it another crack.

Thanks

Rusty
I think he means that if he knew he could arrange for a compatible seatmate for the year, it might be worth taking the time to get it set up. Having to do it flight by flight like some sort of odd blind date service makes it seem like a lot of effort for little gain.

I tend to agree, btw. Your response - 'why would you want the same seatmate for 20 flights?' makes it awfully clear that the odd blind date comparison is apt. The idea of ensuring that I don't end up sitting next to a wailing toddler is somewhat appealing, but if even the creator sees it as a Tinder for air travel...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
The Southwest app.
Originally Posted by boeing727

Those are nice, but you need to pay for the WiFi to use them. You can track your plane in flight on the Southwest app for free.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi Synergistic,

So thanks for the clarification. Couple of points. It takes all of about 20 seconds to enter the flight #, departure airport and date. Ok, so I'll agree if you've got 20 flights booked currently, might take 10 minutes.

Secondly, I don't understand the blind-date service. If someone is that against actually trying to hedge your bet and put someone you know something about in the seat next to you vs a random person then that's their prerogative. But frankly, I've been A-list preferred for many years and there's many (and I mean many!) times I wished I could have had a choice, or a little control, over who sits next to me.

I do appreciate the comments though - thanks very much.

Rusty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.