Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Sale is live now] Plan for Southwest's anniversary sale starting tonight, June 3-4

[Sale is live now] Plan for Southwest's anniversary sale starting tonight, June 3-4

Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Southwest's anniversary sale is due to begin this Tuesday or next Tuesday. Expect great Autumn fares late August to mid-December except Fridays and Sundays and except Thanksgiving week. Complete your bookings before midnight Central Time Thursday evening.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:21 pm

In light of the current operating challenges and ongoing uncertainty regarding when MAX aircraft will be back in the air (and to what degree passengers will accept that when they are) I'm skeptical that any sort of significant sale will happen this year. Load factors are higher than ever, capacity is down and fares are high -- why would they discount them?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:59 am

Anniversary sale is on and prices are loaded...yay! Time to book!

And the above post did not age well....
smmrfld likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:55 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Flights to Hawaii are excluded.

Terms & Conditions
  • Purchase from June 4 through June 6, 2019, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.
  • Continental U.S. travel valid August 20 through December 18, 2019. Interisland Hawaii travel valid September 3 through November 2, 2019. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 4 through December 5, 2019. International travel valid August 20 through December 11, 2019.
  • Continental U.S. travel blacked out August 30, September 2, and November 22 through December 2.
  • Except as otherwise specified, continental U.S. travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to Ft. Myers/Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, and Las Vegas and from Ft. Myers/Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando to Las Vegas is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Ft. Myers/Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando and Las Vegas and from Las Vegas to Ft. Myers/Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, and Orlando is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays. Interisland Hawaii travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday - Thursday. International travel is valid Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
  • Fares valid on nonstop service where indicated; if not indicated, fares are valid on single connect service.
  • Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
  • Points bookings do not include taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges of at least $5.60 per one-way flight.
  • Fares not available continental U.S. to/from Hawaii.
  • Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won't be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
  • Travel is available for one-way Wanna Get Away fares.
  • Fares may be combined with other Southwest Airlines combinable fares. If combining with other fares, the most restrictive fare's rules apply.
  • Sale fares may be available on other days of week, but that's not guaranteed.
  • Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines, as long as reservations are canceled at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure. Failure to cancel prior to departure will result in forfeiture of remaining funds on the reservation.
  • Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare. Standby travel may require an upgrade to the Anytime fare depending on Rapid Rewards tier status.
  • Fares are subject to change until ticketed.
  • Offer applies only to published, scheduled service.
mke9499 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
The prices for my trip , MDW-SFO in Oct midweek, just went up!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 am

That would seem logical but all of these airlines are still going after more market share so they tend to run sales periodically in markets where they want to increase traction. Southwest has been pretty good about sales throughout the years. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:06 pm

Nothing for me. Looking at fares I already have booked on Southwest everything stayed the same or increased. Of the three flights I need to book soon that are covered by the sale period Delta and United are both significantly cheaper (yes, even after paying for a bag and extra legroom seat.)

Hopefully other people have better luck.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by vike16
Anniversary sale is on and prices are loaded...yay! Time to book!

And the above post did not age well....
Hopefully you were able to find sale fares that worked for you. I was not, and in many cases the fares I've been watching seem to have actually increased.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Hopefully you were able to find sale fares that worked for you. I was not, and in many cases the fares I've been watching seem to have actually increased.
My usual route is MCI-MSP, so yes, it was at the usual $49 price of past years. That said, I did notice, especially from MCI, that the number of cities at the $49 price was only MSP and STL this year and it used to be more cities (though MDW was $59 so not far behind) but the overall number of actual $49 sale routes was less so not surprised at others' frustrations.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Looks like a pretty good sale to me. For most of the sale period MDW-STL / MSP / OMA is $49 and MDW-MCI is $59 and MDW-DAL is $82. Certainly better prices than I expected and I will be buying several tickets.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:53 pm

...interisland flights still at $29 every day but Friday/Sunday...wahooo! Good luck getting 32" pitch and 2 free checked bags for $29 on Hawaiian.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:17 pm

In light of the current operating challenges and ongoing uncertainty regarding when MAX aircraft will be back in the air (and to what degree passengers will accept that when they are) I'm skeptical that any sort of significant sale will happen this year. Load factors are higher than ever, capacity is down and fares are high -- why would they discount them?
Ummm...no. Just saved a bundle.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:36 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It took me several hours to book 4 months of flights using ticketless funds from earlier unused reservations.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

Ummm...no. Just saved a bundle.
That's great, good for you. What routes? I am seeing some decent fares intra-CA and for short hops out of MDW. But nothing I had booked (or needed to) are any better now than they were pre-sale. And as I mentioned, some are now worse.

I did take a chance on a cheapish MDW-LAS fare in August, scheduled on a MAX, that I may be able to leverage into the flight I actually need. (How that all will play out should be interesting to see. I myself wouldn't book a non-discretionary flight on a MAX before the end of the year, but I'm guessing many people are, whether they know it or not.)

Otherwise, the sale limitations (some of the worst I've seen on Southwest) are working against me.

​​​
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:50 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Otherwise, the sale limitations (some of the worst I've seen on Southwest) are working against me.​​​
The low fares are not being offered at all times of day Mondays and Thursdays. A-listers can book a late flight and fly standby earlier, but regular customers (who are limited to flying up to 2 hours later using the flat tire rule) will be displeased with their options.

I cannot recall a Southwest sale when I had to book so many alternate times to what I expect to fly. Most markets don't have all the flight time choices we have within California.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.