Sad EBCI work-round?

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by pinniped
I like the behavior - to a point. If someone is clearly trying to cheat, trying to just jump in with a B or C boarding card when they know they shouldn't be there, then call them out. But as someone who is often the A21 perfectly happy to board after A30 because I don't feel like fighting through a scrum to get exactly between A20 and A22, I'd rather see the line keep moving and not slow the turn while the agent is calling out for me.

There has to be some application of common sense.
Nobody cares if A21 wants to board after A30. It's official policy that two people who want to board together must board at the higher position, so whether the gate agent thinks you are traveling with A30 or not, it doesn't matter.

It is not fair for A21 to board before A20, A19, ..., A1. People who can't count or are trying to cheat need to be told to step aside and wait their turn.
ughunter likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:16 am

It seems like this could be solved with a simple programming fix. The scanner should give an error when a boarding pass is scanned more than 5 positions early (i.e. if A20 just scanned the boarding pass, anyone with A25 or later won't scan). Even if the GA is given an easy override (as they would need to because occasionally there might just be 5 people who aren't at the gate), it gives them an out to not feel like they're being rude when they say to the person that they need to board in position. The person will hear the error sound and it's the computer that's telling them to wait rather than the GA.

I'm guessing that since this hasn't been implemented, it's not just rogue GAs failing to enforce policy, but that WN itself doesn't care if you board in order.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred + CP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
It seems like this could be solved with a simple programming fix. The scanner should give an error when a boarding pass is scanned more than 5 positions early (i.e. if A20 just scanned the boarding pass, anyone with A25 or later won't scan). Even if the GA is given an easy override (as they would need to because occasionally there might just be 5 people who aren't at the gate), it gives them an out to not feel like they're being rude when they say to the person that they need to board in position. The person will hear the error sound and it's the computer that's telling them to wait rather than the GA.

I'm guessing that since this hasn't been implemented, it's not just rogue GAs failing to enforce policy, but that WN itself doesn't care if you board in order.
I like that idea, but then you run into the issue of A-List boarding after the B group. I guess that could be another programming change, but it seems like it's too complicated for WN to want to do
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by apeoples13
I like that idea, but then you run into the issue of A-List boarding after the B group. I guess that could be another programming change, but it seems like it's too complicated for WN to want to do
All these changes would be exceedingly easy.
1) Hit preboard button=any boarding position
2) Not within 5 spots of previously scanned position? Give error and must manually override
3) A-list boarding=Any A-list member to board without error within +5/10 of A60, unless already assigned A position.
4) Family Boarding button=any boarding position.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Nobody cares if A21 wants to board after A30. It's official policy that two people who want to board together must board at the higher position, so whether the gate agent thinks you are traveling with A30 or not, it doesn't matter.

It is not fair for A21 to board before A20, A19, ..., A1. People who can't count or are trying to cheat need to be told to step aside and wait their turn.
But in the example given above, the GA would hold the line until A21 pushed their way forward and boarded in exact order. At some point, I'm like just keep the line moving already.

I do think the poles are helpful, at least getting people to within clumps of 5. Is there just not room for them in Cancun? Or does WN share gates with other airlines so they can't put them up?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
But in the example given above, the GA would hold the line until A21 pushed their way forward and boarded in exact order. At some point, I'm like just keep the line moving already.

I do think the poles are helpful, at least getting people to within clumps of 5. Is there just not room for them in Cancun? Or does WN share gates with other airlines so they can't put them up?
No, you have it backwards. If the gate agent just scanned A20 and the next person presents A22, fine. A21 can board later or not at all, who cares.

The problem is when A15 was just boarded and then suddenly A21 appears. Step aside and wait for A16-20. It's possible that all five of those boarding pass holders decided to no-show or canceled after checking in, in which case it's now A21's turn. This is incredibly rare and wastes little time.

You've flown WN more than I have, so surely you've noticed the same as I, that they do not board every group, one after the other, without delay. If people didn't bring so much carry-on, then they could, but of course that doesn't happen. Free checked bags still isn't good enough for some people. If they boarded all of A, family, all of B, and all of C without stopping for even five seconds, the gate would have to be moved way back from the door to accommodate the long line of people waiting to get into the jetway by the time C boarding starts. Use this "wasted" time to make line-cutters stand aside and wait their turn.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:10 pm

No, you have it backwards. If the gate agent just scanned A20 and the next person presents A22, fine. A21 can board later or not at all, who cares.

The problem is when A15 was just boarded and then suddenly A21 appears. Step aside and wait for A16-20. It's possible that all five of those boarding pass holders decided to no-show or canceled after checking in, in which case it's now A21's turn. This is incredibly rare and wastes little time.

How would that catch a line jumper? Say I'm A22 and A30 boards behind me. Under your scenario the machine would still take it so they get to go ahead of A23-29?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is ridiculous, either go to assigned seating or go back to waiting in line manually like they did for 20+ years. It's really sad that people can't board a plane using common sense and not line cutting.
ughunter likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
I saw someone try to board at A28. She was holding a C boarding card. Was promptly called out and the look in he face was priceless. lol.

Meanwhile, I happen to board a particular flight a few times a month and typically have A16-20. And the guy at the gate, doesn't mind if I step in anywhere between A1-A15. lol
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:04 pm

Good thing I'm not a gate agent,. boarding out of order I would pull a Key and Peele airline boarding on you and make you wait til the last person has boarded.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
How would that catch a line jumper? Say I'm A22 and A30 boards behind me. Under your scenario the machine would still take it so they get to go ahead of A23-29?
No, A30 has to wait. It's the reverse that is allowed: A30 boards (after A29, A28, etc.) and then A22 wants to board, fine. You can choose to board 8 positions later if you want.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
FYI...
At CUN there are only two monitors (1-30 / 31-60), in front of which the lines form. There are no poles indicating the increments, so I can understand how the boarding process would completely depend upon everyone's understanding of the meaning of "numerical order." Apparently, that's a long shot... Maybe they should try "1-2-3 order..."
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by acasteve
FYI...
At CUN there are only two monitors (1-30 / 31-60), in front of which the lines form. There are no poles indicating the increments, so I can understand how the boarding process would completely depend upon everyone's understanding of the meaning of "numerical order." Apparently, that's a long shot... Maybe they should try "1-2-3 order..."
I suppose sequential order and numerical order could slightly suggest two different things. But only to the person who wants to jump the line...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:00 pm
Suspended

It's really sad that people can't board a plane using common sense and not line cutting.
I am always amazed how many adults don't grasp ABC and 123. It's A WN boarding line is the perfect place to watch an easily confused populace forget everything they learned in junior kindergarten. I always see lost and confused infrequent fliers asking if B goes first. Or if 25 is supposed to stand infront of 15.

How do they feed themselves??
Kevin AA and apeoples13 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
It's really sad that people can't board a plane using common sense and not line cutting.
Its the entitlement mentality. "Don't you know who I am? I have to board FIRST!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.