Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad EBCI work-round?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
It's funny how the "it doesn't matter" crowd always seem to interpret the situation to benefit them. If it truly didn't matter you would think it would be more random. Of course, this goes for all aspects of life and not just the WN boarding process.
joshua362 and ronnyradio like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

WN GA's really don't care. They ignore it, or worse, acknowledge it but allow it with "Ok, but next time.." . They only care about getting the flight out. They have gotta-get-there-itis for the point of turn around where it's no longer their problem.

I have been in similar situations, once where A50 something was trying to board with the A20's. Warned the GA and still..nothing.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ughunter
WN GA's really don't care. They ignore it, or worse, acknowledge it but allow it with "Ok, but next time.." . They only care about getting the flight out. They have gotta-get-there-itis for the point of turn around where it's no longer their problem.

I have been in similar situations, once where A50 something was trying to board with the A20's. Warned the GA and still..nothing.
For what it's worth, apathetic GAs are common on all airlines because of "get there-itis". For example, it's super rare for me (i'm a leisure traveler, not a road warrior) to witness a GA challenge someone with too much carry-on baggage.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:54 pm

I was A26 on Monday morning and A58 boarded in front of me.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the other hand at BUR, I've seen a number of passengers yanked out of line by the agent and told to "stand here until it's your turn!"
On one flight I saw it happen three times. I was like B7, and this happened as the A31-60:s were boarding and one bozo was still standing there when I boarded. The agent was none too pleasant with these people either. He was asking people if they count "35, 36, 48?"
But mostly I've seen the line self-police. People get to their zone of 5, ask someone their number and line up in front or behind accordingly. In the case cited by the OP, ime, #19 would simply have stepped in front of her, as would every other person with a lower number than hers.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
Just to clarify...I (the OP) am A-list and, therefore, was not an EBCI purchaser... Had I been, I may have escalated to issue in some manner.

Last edited by acasteve; Jun 6, 2019 at 3:30 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gig103
For what it's worth, apathetic GAs are common on all airlines because of "get there-itis". For example, it's super rare for me (i'm a leisure traveler, not a road warrior) to witness a GA challenge someone with too much carry-on baggage.
I think "Everyone does it" is a poor defense. And of course, in the case of WN seating is on a first come, first served basis so the impact is worse than a few more carry-on bags.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred + CP, Marriott Titanium
I was on a flight from BOS to DAL a few weeks ago and the gate agent literally wouldn't let people scan their boarding passes unless they were in the exact order. Like she would say "no, A21 is next, you're 28 so wait here." She's the real MVP
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Jsketch05
I was A26 on Monday morning and A58 boarded in front of me.
Here's what I do: I wait until just before the end of the jetway, then I tap the guy on the shoulder and point and gesture and yell "Hey look OVER THERE!!!" and then run right by him and onto the plane.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would understand the "clump of 5" misordering but not the "all 1-30 are equal" bit.

Personally, I don't make a bit deal out of exact order when I'm A-list. My target seat is usually an SFC aisle. If I board with A-anything, it's there waiting for me. I would not cut the line earlier than my number, but I sometimes go a little later if I can't be bothered to fight the crowd to get to my exact spot in the queue. (e.g., I'm A20 but just hang around behind A30 and board then.)

It's when I'm B30 that I become a lot more sensitive about the order. That's when it actually could matter. Not when you're in A.
bobunf likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apeoples13
I was on a flight from BOS to DAL a few weeks ago and the gate agent literally wouldn't let people scan their boarding passes unless they were in the exact order. Like she would say "no, A21 is next, you're 28 so wait here." She's the real MVP
Write WN a kudos letter for her. This behavior needs to be encouraged.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by apeoples13
Did you give her a dozen kick tail tickets?
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ughunter
Write WN a kudos letter for her. This behavior needs to be encouraged.
Exactly. This is part of their job and they need to do it instead of being lazy. It doesn't delay the flight given that it takes longer for people to stuff their carry-on in the overheads (minutes) than it does to pull someone out of line and make him wait for his turn to board (seconds).
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I like the behavior - to a point. If someone is clearly trying to cheat, trying to just jump in with a B or C boarding card when they know they shouldn't be there, then call them out. But as someone who is often the A21 perfectly happy to board after A30 because I don't feel like fighting through a scrum to get exactly between A20 and A22, I'd rather see the line keep moving and not slow the turn while the agent is calling out for me.

There has to be some application of common sense.
joshua362 and bobunf like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Perhaps Cancun is different, but when I flew out of SJD a few years ago, there were no poles to mark off the spots. It was just one giant clump, 1-30, 31-60 etc.
Correct...no poles...just a section for you to line up in order 1-30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.