Compensation for late flight question

Old May 30, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Compensation for late flight question

Hi.

Hubby was on flight 1959 from PVD to MCO. His flight was delayed due to waiting for a pilot to come in from MDW. I understand that compensation is for flights that are three hours or later. When you look at the WN website it shows that his flight departed at 9:04. The original flight time was 6:05. However Flightview shows flight taking off at 9:12. How does WN calculate the three hours for compensation, is it from gate departure or take off?

If he is due compensation, what is the typical amount? Does WN automatically send it to you?

thank you
ML
Old May 30, 19, 9:54 pm

None of the major carriers compensate for a flight that is simply late. If the airline is at fault (ie not weather or atc related) you can sometimes get a meal voucher for use on that day at the airport, but that's about it. Odds here are that it was weather related so he won't get even a goodwill anything.
Old May 30, 19, 10:24 pm

Southwest counts a flight as departed as soon as it pushes back from the gate.
Old May 31, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
There is no 3 hour rule.

If the delay truly caused a problem I would email customer service and ask for a $200 LUV voucher.
Old May 31, 19, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff View Post
None of the major carriers compensate for a flight that is simply late. If the airline is at fault (ie not weather or atc related) you can sometimes get a meal voucher for use on that day at the airport, but that's about it. Odds here are that it was weather related so he won't get even a goodwill anything.
It was not weather related. They needed a pilot that was on another flight.
Old May 31, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
That says nothing about if it was weather related. The question is why your pilot wasn't there, which you don't know.
Old May 31, 19, 5:31 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Mary Louise View Post

It was not weather related. They needed a pilot that was on another flight.
If the pilot did not arrive because that flight was weather related, then it is weather related.

Nobody knows why he was late.

Please provide a link to that three hour rule please.
Old May 31, 19, 7:17 am

Compensation is not usually based on departure times. If any compensation is liable then the time is based on how late the arrival is.
synergistic likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVP; Hilton Diamond
Just email Southwest and ask. If they weren’t handing out goodwill vouchers at the gate then I doubt you’ll get anything. But it costs absolutely nothing to ask the people who can actually answer your question. This is just a message board full of people who can report isolated data points.

I got $200 once for a 5 hour delay in Boise. A luggage ramp hit the side of the aircraft and dented the fuselage. They handed out the vouchers before departure.

I also had (what I thought was) a significant delay out of another airport (more than an hour). I sent an email and the agent pointed out that they made up good time in the flight and got me in only 30 minutes late... thus no compensation was available.

The previous poster who pointed out that “needing a pilot from another flight” could be weather related is absolutely right. It could be. But it might not be. None of us knows for sure. Just as Southwest... if you’re not sure how to do the ask, give the details of the flight, explain the impact to the passenger, and then say something like “It was a little chaotic around the gate, and I wondered if Southwest was giving a goodwill gesture or compensation, and I didn’t hear the announcement.”
Old May 31, 19, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. What 3-hour rule? That is a good thing because it was only 2:40 late (scheduled to arrive at 9:05 and arrived at 11:40 PM).

2. Why was the inbound delayed causing the crew delay?

3, Better for your husband to send a 2-sentence note summarizing how the delay adversely impacted him and it's possible than WN will toss some gesture -- not compensation -- his way.
Old May 31, 19, 2:46 pm

It's not published, but the general guideline is that mechanical delays of over 3 hours may receive goodwill gesture in the form of a LUV voucher. If not sent proactively you can reach out to Customer Relations (via Twitter for quickest response) and make a request. As others have mentioned, if the delay is caused by weather in any aspect nothing is given. On Southwest, "weather" can be the stated cause of a delay even when not immediately apparent. This happens more often than on other carriers, due to the differences in point-to-point vs hub-and-spoke systems.
Old May 31, 19, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I appreciate everyoneís input.
Old May 31, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
A few years back, we were delayed over 3 hours in PHX. The agent explained that a 3+ hour delay means that all passengers get a $100 voucher. Since my one-way far was $98, I got a full refund for that leg (which was quite fair IMO).
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
If the pilot did not arrive because that flight was weather related, then it is weather related.

Nobody knows why he was late.

Please provide a link to that three hour rule please.
I was on a flight once that had a similar situation. It was on Delta, not Southwest. I was delayed for close to 4 hours because our flight didnít have a crew so they were flying in a crew from MSP. The original crew was involved in a weather related delay on their previous flight and they would have gone over their hours if they did the flight I was on so they needed to call for another crew. Even though my actual flight wasnít experiencing weather issues, the delay was still considered a weather delay. Delta did give us miles (canít remember how many), but they did that as a courtesy to keep passengers happy, not because there was some 3 hour rule.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:34 am

The previous poster was correct, talk is cheap and it costs nothing to ask. We've noticed that sometimes, depending on who you talk to at customer service, they might throw you a bone - at least something for the hassle. Remember, the people who work there are not robots, they are human beings and you just might catch one in a compassionate mood. Thanks.