Buying SW tickets with UR points

Old May 31, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Buying SW tickets with UR points

Regarding Southwest Air refund/reusable policy, how does it work if you buy a SW ticket with Chase Ultimate Reward points? I know that SW refunds points purchases in full, but refunds cash purchases as a travel credit that is valid for 12 months.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I do not know, but I am guessing it is the same as if your friend bought the ticket and it would go back to travel credit for the flyer - YOU.

I have to assume WN gets money from UR, actually Expedia for those tickets.

You can of course just transfer points to your WN account and do it that way as well.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
From the WN perspective it is a cash ticket, so cancellations and credit would be handled the same way as if you had purchased the ticket directly.
NextTrip likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by garkster
From the WN perspective it is a cash ticket, so cancellations and credit would be handled the same way as if you had purchased the ticket directly.
Just bought a R/T ticket from LAS to MCO with RR points yesterday. I thought about using UR points, but changed my mind just because of what you stated. Didn't want to be stuck with all that flight credit if anything were to go south between now and my trip in December.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:59 pm

Are these UR purchasss considered TQP as far as SW goes?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ave1024
Are these UR purchasss considered TQP as far as SW goes?
UR points are Chase's points currency. To Southwest Airlines, this is a revenue ticket. So all tickets accrue Tier Qualifying and Companion Pass Qualifying points as if it was paid cash.

RR points tickets DO NOT earn any TQP or CP points since they are Southwest's points current and are NOT considered revenue tickets.

Any cancellations of Wanna Get Away fares are treated the same (use Conf # for future purchases). In terms of Anytime or Business Select, i believe refunds will go to your UR points balance but will take 5-10 business days for processing (possibly a call to cancel). Easiest is just take it in Travel Funds....
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:58 am

I have two chase cards (Priority Personal, Premier Biz) that give me 15k TQPs each if I max CC purchases (which I do). I need 5000 TQPs to get A-List. Can I just open a Chase card to get me enough points to purchase one Biz Select fare which will give me 5100 TQPs and i'll be good?

Any good recommendations for a Chase card that will give me UR points? Maybe nice promo with some minimal spend? Biz card can work. I assume you can have more than two Chase cards right? 5/24 should not be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.