Duplicate boarding position

Old Jun 23, 19, 1:46 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
The one true way to see if they are duplicates is to look at the passenger number in the upper right corner. A1 should be 1, A2 should be 2 etc. If this person upgraded to BS at the gate, it certainly could cause a duplicate A1. If that was the case, the pax number should be something other than 1. To my knowledge this isn't visible on the mobile BPs.

If the BS numbers are unused, the boarding pass issued could have a pax number <15. The pax numbers can't be more than 143 on a 737-700 or 175 on the 800s.
I tried to find a boarding pass with "passenger numbers" on them, and could not.

Since most people print boarding passes up to 24 hours in advance, those numbers are therefore on their passes. But, sometimes between printing a pass and boarding time, people cancel or change flights. Therefore those numbers are no longer in use. So, if passenger #53 for example cancels, do they give that number to someone else if they buy a last minute ticket and all the other seats are taken?

And, if passenger #64 does a gate upgrade, is he still #64 , or does he get a different number?

I am clueless to this passenger number thing on a boarding pass.
Old Jun 25, 19, 5:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
So, if passenger #53 for example cancels, do they give that number to someone else if they buy a last minute ticket and all the other seats are taken?
Yes; this has happened to me a few times when flying standby- I'll get a number somewhere in the As.

One CSA handed me "A-<some single digit>" with the kind of excitement you'd probably get if you were being told your lottery ticket was worth some real money; I didn't have the heart to tell her I'd be heading to the back
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Since the software allows duplicate numbers, Southwest can sell more than 15 BS slots and make more money. Genius!
Rd3 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:14 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Since the software allows duplicate numbers, Southwest can sell more than 15 BS slots and make more money. Genius!
Do we know that can be done?

And, how often?

Datapoint: more than once when looking at my flights for the next day, I see BS sold out, but Anytime still available.
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:19 am

I think it's more accurate to say the software allows reusing Boarding Positions that have been cancelled.

If someone upgrades at the gate and is issued an A 1-15 Boarding Position then their previous Boarding Position should be available for someone who purchases a last minute ticket.
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:21 am

Since the software allows duplicate numbers, Southwest can sell more than 15 BS slots and make more money.
Thank God EBCI is immune to software subterfuge.