Business Select vs Anytime pricing

Old May 28, 19, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Business Select vs Anytime pricing

Late yesterday I was tasked at work to fly tomorrow to a boondoggle west of Dulles so I got on our corporate travel system to book a R/T to DCA for it. By policy we have to take the cheapest fare and cannot fly business unless specific conditions are met, which will always involve international travel. Because I was booking two days before flying the only fares available were Business Select and Anytime. For whatever reason the Business Select R/T fare was $52 cheaper than Anytime, but of course I could not book because it was business. I ended up just booking Anytime and then calling SW direct, having them change the booking to Business Select and refund the $52 to my corporate card. Now my question is, why would Business Select be cheaper than Anytime on DAL-DCA R/T short notice booking?
Old May 28, 19, 9:41 am

BS shouldn't be cheaper than AT. Was there perhaps a promo on BS applied automatically through your corporate travel system? Otherwise, most likely "glitch."
Old May 28, 19, 10:26 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Curious.... I know it says BusSelect on the booking engine, but how does it come through to the travel agency, and receipt?
Old May 28, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Never, ever seen that.

Were you on swabiz.com ?
Old May 28, 19, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mile ho View Post
Never, ever seen that.

Were you on swabiz.com ?
No, my internal corporate travel systems which is run by Concur.
Old May 28, 19, 4:38 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: LTP, PP
Saw this all the time with my (horrible) Concur internal corporate travel system. BS was usually a few dollars cheaper. I believe they must extend a 5% BS discount to Concur. Do the math and see if that is it. I did take full advantage of it. The sweetest deal for me was during the WN-Airtran interim where BS would get you first class on Airtran. WN points and great service/seating, best of both worlds.
Old May 28, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I use Concur as well. Not sure how they managed to swindle so many companies into using it. Anyways, when I search for fares on Concur it won’t even show me a BS fare (just AT and WGA). Even when it used to show me BS fares on Concur I never saw it be cheaper than AT.

On a side note, the booking agent we use cannot book with Southwest electronically. So whenever I select a Southwest fare on Concur a person at the travel agency has to manually purchase the fare for me (what could possibly go wrong?)

Last edited by Dunbar; May 28, 19 at 6:19 pm
Old May 28, 19, 6:27 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
I use Concur as well. Not sure how they managed to swindle so many companies into using it. Anyways, when I search for fares on Concur it wonít even show me a BS fare (just AT and WGA). However, in all my years I have never seen BS be cheaper than AT on the Southwest website.

On a side note, the booking agent we use cannot book with Southwest electronically. So whenever I select a Southwest fare on Concur a person at the travel agency has to manually purchase the fare for me (what could possibly go wrong?)
That is odd. Maybe they have different versions/flavors of this (horrible) interface? Agree its a swindle. IIRC, you could see all of WN fares mixed in with others but you were whisked away to yet another screen/interface to complete the transaction, it may have very well been SWAbiz. And changes were a nightmare if even possible at all. I eventually found it better and easier to book a BS ticket then cancel it outright, take the PNR funds and go to the regular WN website to make any changes...
Old May 28, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I can’t change the reservations on the southwest website if I book them through Concur. I end up just calling Southwest if I need to make a change which admittedly is kind of annoying.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 29, 19, 6:03 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
I canít change the reservations on the southwest website if I book them through Concur. I end up just calling Southwest if I need to make a change which admittedly is kind of annoying.
Me too. Try cancelling the reservation completely and taking the funds option inside of a refund. Then making a new res with the TTF. I used to put any small residual charges on a personal credit card and expense that but your circumstances may vary.

Search this Thread