Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Southwest drink coupon QR codes (end of discretionary free drinks?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Southwest drink coupon QR codes (end of discretionary free drinks?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:51 am

Was there not a photo of them in the auction? Did you choose to buy them anyway?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
a) Fake and printed up by the seller or b) Recovered from crew or someone inside at Southwest.
It could be quite a scam for a FA to collect coupons, then sell them.
I think a likely scenario is that the FAs toss them in the trash at the end of a flight and someone went airport dumpster diving.

Incidentally I just received a new packet of coupons from WN and they did not have any codes. Just name and RR.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Was there not a photo of them in the auction? Did you choose to buy them anyway?
Yes, there was a photo. Many times the seller does cover the name on them. I have come to accept that and have used many of them.

What got me thinking was there was a slip of paper in the mailing that said "If you ever need discounted Southwest drink coupons, email me at .. @aol.com"

Meanwhile, I was just looking at listings. Found one selling 4 coupons for $28. Such a bargain! I would love to meet the idiot that buys these.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Most eBay drink coupon offers show the set of 4 all attached, as they come from Southwest or Chase. I can't say that I ever seen an auction that showed 6 separate coupons. Even in the heyday after eBay was flooded with all the BS class action coupons they were still shown as sheets or connected sets. I'd certainly be suspicious of anyone offering individual coupons. Given what you describe, I'd suspect the person selling them works for (or is connected to someone who works for) aircraft cleaning crew, or otherwise somehow has access to drink coupons that have been thrown away. It seems unlikely an FA would take such a risk.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

It could be quite a scam for a FA to collect coupons, then sell them.
I have a friend who is and FA and she from time to time "re-purposes" Drink Coupons

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 7, 2019 at 1:18 am Reason: Fix markup
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Most eBay drink coupon offers show the set of 4 all attached, as they come from Southwest or Chase. I can't say that I ever seen an auction that showed 6 separate coupons. Even in the heyday after eBay was flooded with all the BS class action coupons they were still shown as sheets or connected sets. I'd certainly be suspicious of anyone offering individual coupons. Given what you describe, I'd suspect the person selling them works for (or is connected to someone who works for) aircraft cleaning crew, or otherwise somehow has access to drink coupons that have been thrown away. It seems unlikely an FA would take such a risk.

Hmmm...

At first I did not consider a cleaning crew. Then I realized that trash is removed by the cleaning crew and not tossed by SW Employees. So, that could easily happen.

As to putting their job at risk. Yea, that would be stupid. But people do stupid things all the time. This one would not be that hard. After all, they often just stick those coupons in their pocket, and... If someone else was selling them for them, then a nice little sideline business with reduced risk of getting caught.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Yes, there was a photo. Many times the seller does cover the name on them. I have come to accept that and have used many of them.

What got me thinking was there was a slip of paper in the mailing that said "If you ever need discounted Southwest drink coupons, email me at .. @aol.com"

Meanwhile, I was just looking at listings. Found one selling 4 coupons for $28. Such a bargain! I would love to meet the idiot that buys these.
aol.com! That would raise my suspicion right there.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:15 pm

Hmmm...

At first I did not consider a cleaning crew. Then I realized that trash is removed by the cleaning crew and not tossed by SW Employees. So, that could easily happen.

As to putting their job at risk. Yea, that would be stupid. But people do stupid things all the time. This one would not be that hard. After all, they often just stick those coupons in their pocket, and... If someone else was selling them for them, then a nice little sideline business with reduced risk of getting caught.

How much are you buying these for? It’s hard to imagine this is a very profitable sideline business. Maybe they sell for more than I would think.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

How much are you buying these for? It’s hard to imagine this is a very profitable sideline business. Maybe they sell for more than I would think.
I've seen them as cheap as $2 each, generally they're available for $3-$4. For the buyer they're cheaper than the $6-$7 drink cost and easier to use than a credit card. For the seller, it's all profit, minus the cost of an envelope and a first-class stamp.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

I pick them up in the $4 each or so range.

The last ones were just under $3 each - which seemed rather low, so I grabbed them quick.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:45 pm

On a flight over the weekend I asked an FA about the new drink coupons. She said they were getting new hardware to scan the tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I pick them up in the $4 each or so range.

The last ones were just under $3 each - which seemed rather low, so I grabbed them quick.
You just need to sit in my row and order a drink. You will get one for free. They are always in my backpack.
steved5480 and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... and FWIW, more often than not (IME) paying for one drink via coupon tends to come with "free refills", depending on the mood of the FA (which is also relevant as to if they'll collect one in the first place).
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I am thinking the free drinks onboard will continue to be business as usual, but the QR code scanning will combat the "repurposing" and "recycling" of already used coupons.

Now that I read about dumpster diving and the like I'm glad my last name won't be floating around who-knows-where anymore.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:33 am

Just took a flight with a group of 8 and the FA only took 1 drink coupon, and we all got 3-4 rounds of drinks. Gave her a nice tip as 25+ drinks for one coupon was quite a steal Hopefully these good times don’t end with the new codes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.