Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Southwest drink coupon QR codes (end of discretionary free drinks?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

The new drink coupons have QR codes on them, containing an embedded 13 digit coupon number, issue date, and expiration date. No member name printed on them.

This means Southwest can track free drink redemptions. I expect to see less latitude for FAs to 'forget' to collect payment or coupons, which they currently do for various reasons.

//Ironic that they still don't track checked baggage progress / loading by scanning barcodes. Priorities
Old May 27, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Weird. I received a batch on Saturday with a 5/31/20 expiration date and they're the same old vouchers.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
The new drink coupons have QR codes on them, containing an embedded 13 digit coupon number, issue date, and expiration date. No member name printed on them.

This means Southwest can track free drink redemptions.
They could always do this if they wanted. FA's collect the q's, count them, done.

I expect to see less latitude for FAs to 'forget' to collect payment or coupons, which they currently do for various reasons.
I don't. My guess would be business as usual.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It has always amazed me that there is really no unique number on these coupons. After all, how hard would it be to just print up your own?

If WN wanted to reduce expenses, they could easily tighten up the accountability of booze. For whatever reason, they do not. (goodwill and marketing is my guess)
Old May 28, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Had a few free drinks on my Flight on Thursday night. Doesn't seem that anything has changed.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:34 am

There are still a year's worth of non-coded drink coupons out there, so the change will likely take a while. But tightening up on drink accountability is certainly coming. You don't spend money implementing a tracking system unless there's a return on that investment. (Which also explains why bags aren't scanned or tracked. Yet.)
Old May 28, 2019, 11:15 am

My bags were scanned on HNL-OAK a couple weeks ago. Maybe an airport thing (not a SWA thing)?
Old May 28, 2019, 1:25 pm

I've noticed lately that there are more free drinks than there have been in the recent past. I try to use up my free AMEX money and I'm even having trouble doing that, much less using any coupons.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
LOL I still get free drinks. Also don't think this changes anything because when I do use coupons 9/10 times they're from someone not related with completely different last names and no one blinks an eye.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by DCP2016
LOL I still get free drinks. Also don't think this changes anything because when I do use coupons 9/10 times they're from someone not related with completely different last names and no one blinks an eye.
that is the norm... and I doubt that would change.... it would be a royal pain to start checking ID's... and of course they would need to change policy to "not transferable"
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jfish26
My bags were scanned on HNL-OAK a couple weeks ago. Maybe an airport thing (not a SWA thing)?
Scanned where? At the check-in counter? This is the only place it happens with Southwest. I promise they don't have a clue where your bag is after this point. Ask me how I know....
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Adding the code and an expiration date simply allows WN to implement better internal controls if it wishes to do so. Given that it will take a year once it does, it makes a lot of sense to do as it has done here. Adding the data does not particularly cost WN anything.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Adding the code and an expiration date simply allows WN to implement better internal controls if it wishes to do so. Given that it will take a year once it does, it makes a lot of sense to do as it has done here. Adding the data does not particularly cost WN anything.

Hilarious.

You don't really believe that, do you?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been buying drink coupons on ebay.

The ones that came this week look fake to me.... okay...I just looked a bit closer. Maybe "used" is a better description of them.

What is really interesting - 6 coupons and everyone is a different name. The only two scenarios that make sense on this one is they are either

a) Fake and printed up by the seller
or
b) Recovered from crew or someone inside at Southwest.

It could be quite a scam for a FA to collect coupons, then sell them.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It could be quite a scam for a FA to collect coupons, then sell them.
I mean, I guess it could, but how much are they really worth? Is it really work risking your job over? Yes, I realize people do stupid stuff all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.