FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Free changes for MAX8 flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1971159-free-changes-max8-flights.html)

bigpapa7272 Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

More on topic for this thread: I have a flight booked for October that is currently scheduled to be on a 737-MAX. If I try to change the flight the system charges me the fare difference.[/QUOTE]

sane here I have a flight from PVR to Baltimore booked for first week of September. Just noticed that the Houston to BWI leg is on a Max 8. Not worried about flying on a Max 8 more worried that it will get Cancelled/ schedule changed out due to max 8 grounding . There is limited flights getting back to BWI the same day as there is only 1 other flight combo that came up. . My trip is all booked. Wonder when Southwest will Cancel their schedule through Sept like American did.

Travel22 Jun 13, 2019 3:33 am

How are you checking to see what type of aircraft you are on this far in advance? Seatguru.com or is there a more reliable way to check?

lougord99 Jun 13, 2019 4:45 am

Go to the flight booking page. In small letters just above the times in blue is the flight number. Click on the flight number. It gives you all the info about the flight.

mke9499 Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am

Southwest is now allowing a 1X rebooking of August thru early October flights, at no additional cost over original booking. Some of those flights flagged for rebooking are MAX 8, but some are not.

Southwest Airlines Reaccommodation Practices and Information:
  • When Southwest Airlines® learns of events that may affect our flights' departures such as inclement conditions or airport anomalies that may hinder our Customers' abilities to get to/from a particular airport, we will offer Customers the opportunity to change their travel dates and/or flight times at no additional charge.
  • Even though Southwest® is offering the opportunity to make these changes, the Customer's original flight(s) may operate as scheduled, so changing travel dates and/or flight times is completely voluntary and not required.
  • Customers who would like to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service (or fly standby) and travel must take place within 14 days of their original travel date between the original city pairs. (In some cases when a particular airport is affected, and Southwest® serves a "sister airport" or "co-terminal", we will offer the flexibility to depart from/arrive into an alternate airport. For example, if San Francisco International Airport is affected, Customers may be offered the opportunity to change to the San Jose or Oakland airports.)
  • Only Customers who purchased their ticket(s) on southwest.com are eligible to rebook via our online View or Change Your Flight service. All other Customers should call our toll-free number (800) 435-9792 for assistance.
  • If changes are made for travel outside the parameters of Southwest Airlines' reaccommodation practices, the changes are subject to the original fare restrictions and may result in a higher fare.
  • Customers who have booked a Business Select Fare may change to another flight with Business Select or may switch to an Anytime Fare when Business Select is unavailable.

AlertPenguin Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mke9499 (Post 31198371)
Southwest is now allowing a 1X rebooking of August thru early October flights, at no additional cost over original booking. Some of those flights flagged for rebooking are MAX 8, but some are not.

Yep, not only that but I was rebooked for flights that didn't fit my schedule at all and had to rebook them back to where I was. Seems they were optimistic in hoping that the 737-8 would be flying by August and it's not looking good.

ursine1 Jun 13, 2019 9:40 am

My October flight is unaffected. Looks like Southwest is matching the September 2nd date American is using.

nsx Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am

Free changes are working through September 30. This is a great opportunity to improve your flight date and time.

FWIW yesterday I booked a MAX8 flight in August but today that same flight uses an -800.

shadow520 Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks for the bump on this. I was able to rebook an Aug flight to a more convenient time for the family.

ursine1 Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm

If you need to book any travel between August 6 thru September 2 (possibly as late as September 30, I'm unable to verify), now's the time. This "secret sale" can get your desired flight for the cheapest fare within 14 days of departure, and may work across sister cities as well.

pinniped Jun 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 31135545)
reverse David Dao.

I just had an amusing mental image of Southwest employees beating the crap out of people in the terminal and physically dragging them down the jetway onto the airplane. :D

Yes, I agree, this would result in a less than positive PR cycle.

mke9499 Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

I can rebook under this policy as far out as an Oct 1 flight, but not Oct 3.

screeton Jun 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Several hours ago I received a notice for August 19 flight, changing from AUS-DAL-LIT to AUS-LAS-LIT at a considerable increase in trip time. We are currently trying to change to a much more obvious and more direct choice. Changing on-line, we get the "banner" advising free change, but then when we try to select a new flight, get an error message that change cannot be booked on line, call SWA. Hopefully that means that SWA's website is just overburdened, but in any event, no go thus far on the "online to avoid a 1-800-cluster-mess.

ursine1 Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499 (Post 31200718)
I can rebook under this policy as far out as an Oct 1 flight, but not Oct 3.

If your flight is covered (in the protected period of August 6 thru October 2) the system is allowing changes for +/- a full 30 days, not the 14 days stated in the reacommodation policy.

ursine1 Jun 13, 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by screeton (Post 31200989)
Several hours ago I received a notice for August 19 flight, changing from AUS-DAL-LIT to AUS-LAS-LIT at a considerable increase in trip time. We are currently trying to change to a much more obvious and more direct choice. Changing on-line, we get the "banner" advising free change, but then when we try to select a new flight, get an error message that change cannot be booked on line, call SWA. Hopefully that means that SWA's website is just overburdened, but in any event, no go thus far on the "online to avoid a 1-800-cluster-mess.

It took a few tries for me earlier to make necessary changes online, but I was ultimately successful.

Phone hold times are nuts. I'd recommend the chat function within the app. They can make flight changes, and there should be nearly no wait.

mke9499 Jun 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 31201102)
If your flight is covered (in the protected period of August 6 thru September 2) the system is allowing changes for +/- a full 30 days, not the 14 days stated in the reacommodation policy.

Just to clarify, I am getting the message for optional rebooking as far out as my Oct 1 flight, but not for any flights just a few days later.