Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Reward Credit Card

Need a little advice here on a couple of reward credit cards. I’m currently considering the SW Priority Card or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to help gather reward points towards free or discounted flights for my wife and I. We don’t fly much though, only about 2 or 3 times a year and mainly to Las Vegas on Southwest Airlines. I like the idea of anniversary miles from SW but not sure if that really makes a difference. I’m not a big credit card user since I normally like dealing with cash but I can start to use it more often to accumulate points. I do use it for any online purchases though. Do any of you have experience with both cards or recommend one over the other? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

I am going to assume you want only one card.

If you do not fly Southwest much, the Sapphire is generally preferable. More flexible rewards.

There are a couple reasons to prefer the Southwest I suppose, but if you are not going for a Companion Pass, I would stick with Sapphire.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If you go 2-3 times a year, and you usually buy early boarding, get the higher priced card. You get 4 gate upgrades per year, and I think it was 7,000 miles and a $75 travel credit which can be applied against any tickets you buy.

Remember, the BEST USE OF CREDIT CARDS is the sign up bonus. You pick up a quick 50-60,000 miles/points if you hit the spending levels. Using a card for day to day expenses does get points, but very, very slowly.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Unless you are trying to earn the companion pass, I would stick with the Sapphire. It also has a 60000 points sign up bonus. This card does carry a $99 annual fee, however this fee is waived the first year. You will also earn 2 points on all travel and dining whereas with any of the Southwest cards you only earn two points on Southwest purchases.

The benefit of ultimate reward points is they are more flexible to use. They can be transferred over to Southwest, or they can be used to make purchases through the Chase travel portal where they are worth 25% more. If you pair this card up with the Chase freedom or the Chase freedom unlimited (which have higher earning potential), you can combine points. using this method it's not hard to average two points per dollar spent. This is twice as much as you would earn on the Southwest cards.

Last edited by Critterlynn; May 24, 2019 at 6:53 am
Old May 24, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I do only fly southwest, at least that is the only airline I have flown with in the past 15+ years. I only have one other credit card that I have had for a few years which is the Capital One Venture One where I earn 1.25 miles per every dollar spent and no annual fee. I don't think I would ever spend enough to get the companion pass from SW. I do like the 4 upgrades per year but could live without them. If I'm not mistaken I have to spend twice as much in the first 3 months with the Sapphire Card to get the signup bonus compared to SW.

Does the Chase Travel Portal have good deals on flights like SW does? Also what all does dinning actually mean. Restaurants only or does stopping by the local fast food place count as dinning as well?
Old May 24, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT
... If I'm not mistaken I have to spend twice as much in the first 3 months with the Sapphire Card to get the signup bonus compared to SW.

Does the Chase Travel Portal have good deals on flights like SW does? Also what all does dinning actually mean. Restaurants only or does stopping by the local fast food place count as dinning as well?
Yes you do need to spend twice as much. However, you need to remember that the annual fee is waved the first year.

Dining can be anything from McDonald's to fine dining.

Edit: when booking through Chase (you must call as flights will not be shown on the portal) the price you will pay will be a direct reflection of what is showing on Southwest.com. And yes, you will receive an extra 25% more value when booking through them. However, the best value would be to transfer points directly over to Southwest and do a points booking.

Last edited by Critterlynn; May 24, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old May 24, 2019, 9:43 am

The Chase Travel Portal doesn't show Southwest flights; it was recently reinstated that you can phone to do booking of Southwest flights with Chase points, using their formula of points conversion to the same fare that shows on the SWA site, or convert the Chase points to Southwest RR.

Dining on the CSR should include fast food and coffee shops. The deli counter at the grocery store or gas station would be less likely. Paid parking generally counts as travel.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
The Chase Travel Portal doesn't show Southwest flights; it was recently reinstated that you can phone to do booking of Southwest flights with Chase points, using their formula of points conversion to the same fare that shows on the SWA site, or convert the Chase points to Southwest RR.

Dining on the CSR should include fast food and coffee shops. The deli counter at the grocery store or gas station would be less likely. Paid parking generally counts as travel.
Do you still get the 25% more using the chase portal if having to call to do the booking? If I convert the chase points to SW rewards won't I lose the 25%? The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the sapphire card.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:25 am

Do you still get the 25% more using the chase portal if having to call to do the booking? If I convert the chase points to SW rewards won't I lose the 25%? The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the sapphire card.

I forgot to mention that you must call in to book these flights but yes you do get 25% more.

You will not get an extra 25% on points that are transferred over but, the points are generally worth more and they're fully refundable if you need to cancel.

​​​​​​I edited my post above.

Last edited by Critterlynn; May 24, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old May 24, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am planning to book a flight on SW here real soon so if I apply today for the card how long is the normal process before I can actually use the card if I get approved? I'd like to use it for this trip along with another one we plan on booking soon too.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Just got a notice from my local federal credit union (Navy Federal) with a offer for one of their cards. 3X points on travel, 2X points on everything else. 50,000 bonus points after spending $4000 in the first 90 days. Receive statement credit (up to $100) for Global Entry or TSA Pre Check. $0 annual fee for the first year and $49 annual fee applies thereafter. How does this look compared to the Sapphire Preferred?
Old May 25, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Thanks for the info. I am planning to book a flight on SW here real soon so if I apply today for the card how long is the normal process before I can actually use the card if I get approved? I'd like to use it for this trip along with another one we plan on booking soon too.
You are missing the point here.

Your best way to get points is via the signup bonus. Sure, you get some points on each flight you book, but in the big picture, those are small potatoes. (I would say peanuts, but they no longer serve them on WN)
Old May 26, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You are missing the point here.

Your best way to get points is via the signup bonus. Sure, you get some points on each flight you book, but in the big picture, those are small potatoes. (I would say peanuts, but they no longer serve them on WN)
I understand and that is why I'm wondering how long before I can use the card. I will have a hard time spending $4K in the first 90 days so if I can book this trip using the card it will help me greatly at getting closer to the $4K I have to spend.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the replies. I do only fly southwest, at least that is the only airline I have flown with in the past 15+ years. I only have one other credit card that I have had for a few years which is the Capital One Venture One where I earn 1.25 miles per every dollar spent and no annual fee. I don't think I would ever spend enough to get the companion pass from SW. I do like the 4 upgrades per year but could live without them. If I'm not mistaken I have to spend twice as much in the first 3 months with the Sapphire Card to get the signup bonus compared to SW.

Why not just apply for the regular Capital One Venture card? The annual fee is waived the first year; you'll get 50,000 points (worth $500) if you charge $3,000 within the first year; and many people -- myself included -- got a fee waiver for the second year of card membership just by asking. Plus, that card also reimbursed you for enrollment in TSA Precheck, which can make your airport experience a little more pleasant.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand and that is why I'm wondering how long before I can use the card. I will have a hard time spending $4K in the first 90 days so if I can book this trip using the card it will help me greatly at getting closer to the $4K I have to spend.
As to hitting the spend. Some legit ways to get there.

Insurance bills (car, health, home)
Prepay utility bills (cell, tv, internet)
Gift cards for places you buy groceries, gas, etc. (for personal use... though some do a funky resale, etc... not going there)

This all assumes you have the cash to pay the bill when it comes in a few weeks. These are all things you are going to spend anyways. Just sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.