Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines refused to help disabled Oregon passenger to restroom for hours...

Southwest Airlines refused to help disabled Oregon passenger to restroom for hours...

Old May 25, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I feel great sympathy for this poor woman, suffering from a debilitating condition and not being able to care for herself.

But it's not WN's fault that she failed to make adequate advance preparation for her flight, or that her family didn't bother to travel with her. She obviously needed a greater level of care than is provided by the airport and the airline, and instead of arranging for that care in advance, she assumed that others would, of course, take care of her.

That ain't the way the world works, and it never has been.

Now, I won't put all of the blame on the traveler. I have to put at least some of it on her family. Knowing her condition, either the woman herself or her family should have insisted that someone travel with her to assist her, or at minimum someone should have insisted that she wear an adult diaper to allow her to go without a bathroom visit for the duration of her travel.

But, Southwest will settle the lawsuit to avoid looking like a Big Evil Faceless Corporation, even though, IMHO, they bear no real liability.
NextTrip and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I feel great sympathy for this poor woman, suffering from a debilitating condition and not being able to care for herself.

But it's not WN's fault that she failed to make adequate advance preparation for her flight, or that her family didn't bother to travel with her. She obviously needed a greater level of care than is provided by the airport and the airline, and instead of arranging for that care in advance, she assumed that others would, of course, take care of her.

That ain't the way the world works, and it never has been.

Now, I won't put all of the blame on the traveler. I have to put at least some of it on her family. Knowing her condition, either the woman herself or her family should have insisted that someone travel with her to assist her, or at minimum someone should have insisted that she wear an adult diaper to allow her to go without a bathroom visit for the duration of her travel.

But, Southwest will settle the lawsuit to avoid looking like a Big Evil Faceless Corporation, even though, IMHO, they bear no real liability.
0% Southwest's fault and 100% plaintiff's fault.

I hope Southwest does not settle this frivolous lawsuit and they win attorney fees against the family. Settling sends a signal to the vultures that they are ripe for robbing.
kennycrudup and garykung like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
0% Southwest's fault and 100% plaintiff's fault.

I hope Southwest does not settle this frivolous lawsuit and they win attorney fees against the family. Settling sends a signal to the vultures that they are ripe for robbing.
Why?

The plaintiff asserts that the WN attendant refused to take her to a wheel chair accessible restroom prior to boarding because it was too far. If that is true, either the airport is really screwed up, or she has a valid complaint.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why?

The plaintiff asserts that the WN attendant refused to take her to a wheel chair accessible restroom prior to boarding because it was too far. If that is true, either the airport is really screwed up, or she has a valid complaint.
The "attendant" in question was most likely a gate agent. Is there any requirement for GAs to be within sight of the gate while flights are incoming or outgoing?
NextTrip likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why?

According to the article, the plaintiff didn't ask to be taken to a wheelchair accessible restroom, she asked to be taken to a family restroom. Those are different things.

I find it hard to believe at PDX, there wasn't an ADA compliant toilet stall in the nearest restroom.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld

You’ve never owned a business, have you?
I'm a business owner. What are you getting at?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
I find it hard to believe at PDX, there wasn't an ADA compliant toilet stall in the nearest restroom.
PDX is currently undertaking "adjustment of plumbing to meet current ADA requirements" with contractor bids submitted January 15, 2019. PDX [01/09/2019] release:

Project work is scheduled to start March 2019 with substantial completion by February 2020. Complete demolition and reconstruction of six sets of restrooms (one men’s and one women’s restroom per set) on the secure side of the terminal. Demolition includes removal of all items down to the substructure level. Reconstruction includes adjustment of plumbing to meet current ADA requirements.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Lakee911
I'm a business owner. What are you getting at?

Most (not all) people that own a business dealing with the public have a bit more compassion and understand of things that do not go right all the time. They get very "offended" when they see someone with limited knowledge of a situation posting things threatening a business, people getting fired, etc.

I have seen businesses having to deal with internet postings and the resulting impact to their business, including having to close up. Even when they did NOTHING wrong.

The internet is full of people saying people should be fired or jailed.
And businesses that should be shut down, or boycotted.
Often for little and sometimes NO reason at all.
nsx, joshua362, smmrfld and 4 others like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
PDX is currently undertaking "adjustment of plumbing to meet current ADA requirements" with contractor bids submitted January 15, 2019. PDX [01/09/2019] release:
Wow! That is truly amazing that they weren't already ADA compliant!
Old May 26, 2019, 9:36 pm
glg

Wow! That is truly amazing that they weren't already ADA compliant!
ADA changes from time to time. Sounds like they're making updates to meet current requirements that are newer than when the restrooms were last redone.
NextTrip likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:44 am

Im siding with Southwest on this because they clearly state in the Passenger terms and conditions that Southwest can only help with basics like opening packages or assisting with storing luggage

Other than that an attendant is required. And during turbulence no one is allowed to use the restroom. This lawsuit will fall on deaf ears.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
Im siding with Southwest on this because they clearly state in the Passenger terms and conditions that Southwest can only help with basics like opening packages or assisting with storing luggage

Other than that an attendant is required.
Subpart 39 of the DOT regulations provides that carriers shall ensure that individuals with a disability are to be provided with assistance in enplaning, deplaning, and assistance to and from the lavatory. 14 CFR § 382.39.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Subpart 39 of the DOT regulations provides that carriers shall ensure that individuals with a disability are to be provided with assistance in enplaning, deplaning, and assistance to and from the lavatory. 14 CFR § 382.39.
Do you know if that regulation is for lavatories both in the terminal and on the plane?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:02 pm

Do you know if that regulation is for lavatories both in the terminal and on the plane?
On the plane. § 382.23 deals with airport facilities.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn

Other than that an attendant is required. And during turbulence no one is allowed to use the restroom. This lawsuit will fall on deaf ears.
Except that the plaintiff is not claiming SWA's CoC was not honored. She is claiming ACA violations. As for the turbulence, if others used the restroom or drinks were served, I think SWA's got a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.