Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines refused to help disabled Oregon passenger to restroom for hours...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines refused to help disabled Oregon passenger to restroom for hours...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

This sort of stuff makes me never want to fly Southwest Airlines again. What's wrong with these people, leaving a customer like this? If this is true, I hope these employees get fired.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/05/southwest-airlines-attendants-refused-to-help-disabled-passenger-to-restroom-for-hours-during-flight-from-pdx-to-st-louis-suit-alleges.html
Old May 23, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What part about the "citing turbulence" did you miss?

It's unfortunate, but providing a passenger assist when the professional judgment is that it's unsafe means it's unsafe.

Feel free to dump WN and fly AA, DL, or UA. You won't find it handled any differently.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:59 pm

Did I miss something? When did airline employees become personal assistants or nurses?
Old May 23, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Lakee911
This sort of stuff makes me never want to fly Southwest Airlines again. What's wrong with these people, leaving a customer like this? If this is true, I hope these employees get fired.
If this woman was so helpless she had no business traveling without an attendant. WN should have refused her boarding.

“The flight attendants’ conduct toward plaintiff was outrageous and done with an intent to cause plaintiff severe emotional distress.’’
Oh puhleeze.

Hope you enjoy flying Allegiant and Spirit.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This is just laughable. What a joke. Fake news!
Old May 24, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is just laughable. What a joke. Fake news!
The Oregonian actually reported that the FA's could not help as the result of turbulence. It is OP who missed that.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The most alarming part of this thread?

Anyone that immediately blames Southwest, even with the basic information provided.

People up in arms over events that happen and threats to never use company ____ every again are getting really old.

There may be more to the story. Heck, even what we have read makes a common person wonder what really happened here and why a lawsuit.
KBMIFlyer and windscar like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
It sounds like the passenger really needed a caregiver to travel with her. Since she didn't have that, she was relying on a Southwest employee to go above and beyond for her. Apparently nobody did that, and the result was unfortunate, but no individual employee should be at fault here.
awayIgo likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Since when are airline responsible to provide hospice care?

Reasonable accommodations is ALL that is required.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

This definitely seems more like a failing on Huntleigh staff - I don't know what their responsibility beyond getting the passenger to the gate is, but common sense says that a minimum they should have notified a WN employee when they left the person at the gate instead of telling them a WN employee would help them - it was clearly an unmanned gate at that time....
Old May 24, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62
Since when are airline responsible to provide hospice care?
Are you sure you understand what "hospice care" is?
Old May 24, 2019, 2:44 pm

One word of advice for Katherine E. Muenchow: Depends.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I didn't realize WN aircraft were the same as assisted living facilities. Why didn't the woman have personal responsibility and have a family member/caregiver travel with her?
Old May 24, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
If this woman was so helpless she had no business traveling without an attendant. WN should have refused her boarding.
Completely agree, but apparently that did not happen. They took responsibility for her and then just left her. Turbulence? Maybe, maybe not.

I'd certainly like to hear both sides, but Southwest obviously stepped up and failed. Doesn't look good at all.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lakee911
Completely agree, but apparently that did not happen. They took responsibility for her and then just left her. Turbulence? Maybe, maybe not.

I'd certainly like to hear both sides, but Southwest obviously stepped up and failed. Doesn't look good at all.
You’ve never owned a business, have you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.