Hawaii Flight Reports

Old Jun 15, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post

same here, both ways the FA announced “this flight will be full”, and C boarders had to go from back to front of plane to find middle seats

surprisingly the HNL-OAK return flight was still available for $218 an hour before departure. Then 3 standbys were cleared to fill plane
Like many SW is probably the best option for me to ever get to Hawaii, especially since mainline carriers have utterly destroyed their own services yet still charge through the nose. SW must be creating massive downward pressure on flight prices, both as a new entrant and its ability to do interisland flights. Service on a regular SW flight is so much better than the same on other domestics.

Is there enough data at this point to determine price trends on the same or equivalent city pairs?
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:49 am

Wife and I did OAK-HNL-OAK for about $165 total ($69 flights each way, and she's my companion)
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:04 pm

Snack Bag

What are the contents of the snack bag? TIA.
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:00 pm

Regular pretzel bag
Wheat Thins
Spreadable cheese
Fruit Chews
Tic Tacs (about 3)
Wet Nap
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:16 am

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
When will WN start nonstops out of SAN? Summer fares on AS are currently $300 - $500 each way to HNL, OGG, bit less to KOA.
Old Jun 25, 19, 5:08 pm

What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started. I don’t really want to have to fly from OGG to HNL just to then fly to OAK to STL. I’m not looking to fly until this spring so it’s not super close but I was just hoping someone would have some insight.
Old Jun 26, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by chele613 View Post
What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started
Timezones.

I just looked in October and you have two options to STL from the cities that have Hawaii service. Both SJC and OAK have ~9a departures. Best you can do is OGG-OAK-MDW.

Things change, and since you're looking at flights for the spring, other options might show up once the schedule gets released. Of course, they need the MAX8s back to give them a full compliment of airplanes to run the schedule they publish!
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by chele613 View Post
What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started. I don’t really want to have to fly from OGG to HNL just to then fly to OAK to STL. I’m not looking to fly until this spring so it’s not super close but I was just hoping someone would have some insight.
It is because WN is not flying red-eyes back to the mainland and thier ancient computer system won't allow you to book an overnight layover in CA. WN is being very clear that they only want to cater to CA based pax with Hawai'i service.

As an aside, unless you are flush with RR points, you can get to OGG cheaper on other carriers as WN is charging a premium to get to Hawai'i, for example you can buy a STL-OGG (via PHX or SFO) on UA or AA for $341 on Oct 9, but WN is wanting $433 to go via OAK.
Old Jun 28, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
It is because WN is not flying red-eyes back to the mainland and thier ancient computer system won't allow you to book an overnight layover in CA. WN is being very clear that they only want to cater to CA based pax with Hawai'i service.

As an aside, unless you are flush with RR points, you can get to OGG cheaper on other carriers as WN is charging a premium to get to Hawai'i, for example you can buy a STL-OGG (via PHX or SFO) on UA or AA for $341 on Oct 9, but WN is wanting $433 to go via OAK.
As low as $312 on Oct 9 in AS for you are interested in spending a night in SAN, $278 on Oct 7.
Old Today, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
I flew out of KOA on 7/3. Have Pre Ck and was advised that they don't do Pre Ck. They gave me a yellow card. Was able to leave shoes and belt on, but the laptop had to be out, food out, liquids out. Kinda irritating. Lots of confused people because there is a wooden wall where the Gate 4 sign is. WN was not allowed in the gate area as there were too many AA and UA flights departing. Airport leaves a lot to be desired but WN Agents were awesome!