FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Can anyone buy an extra seat or just COS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1971026-can-anyone-buy-extra-seat-just-cos.html)

Gig103 May 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Can anyone buy an extra seat or just COS?

I have flown WN a few times as a COS and very much appreciate the extra space and pre-boarding. It's even nicer that they refund it after the flight!

It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon? I'd consider recommending this to friends when there are sales (Compared to $50 r/t for EBCI I'd rather pay for a second WGA fare and also have the extra space).

isaac.chambers May 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31131619)
I have flown WN a few times as a COS and very much appreciate the extra space and pre-boarding. It's even nicer that they refund it after the flight!

It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon? I'd consider recommending this to friends when there are sales (Compared to $50 r/t for EBCI I'd rather pay for a second WGA fare and also have the extra space).

Yes - you are free to buy another seat (or two to get a row to yourself)....but you will not get a refund of the extra seat if you are NOT a COS.

joshua362 May 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers (Post 31131636)
Yes - you are free to buy another seat (or two to get a row to yourself)....but you will not get a refund of the extra seat if you are NOT a COS.

Not sure this is true... (ability to buy another seat or 2)

dmbolp May 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Yeah, don't think you can, the GA isn't going to scan multiple boarding passes for a single PAX, don't know if you can even buy 2 boarding passes under same RR account (outside of the COS process).

Tanic May 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31131619)
It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon?

Nope.

WN C.O.C. 4.a.3

It is the Passenger’s responsibility to notify Carrier of any unique seating needs. In accordance with Section 6, Carrier may refuse to transport individuals who are unable or unwilling to comply with Carrier’s seating requirements. Purchase of more than one seat for use by a single Passenger for the sole purpose of ensuring additional personal space is prohibited, except in limited circumstances when the Carrier, in its discretion, permits it.

Gig103 May 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31131752)
Nope.

WN C.O.C. 4.a.3

Thanks for finding the appropriate rule for me :) :)

NoStressHere May 23, 2019 2:59 pm

That rule does not indicate what it takes to buy a COS ticket.

I have been called a fata$$ by my brother. Does that qualify for COS?

Apparently not... just found these FAQ on the WN site.

Simple answer - if the armrest can not be raised or lowered... you get a sign.

oops - link : https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...olicy_faq.html

Often1 May 23, 2019 4:04 pm

As a practical matter, if you call WN and book the extra seat as a COS, the GA is not going to stick you in a sizer.;)

justhere May 23, 2019 6:10 pm

;)

lougord99 May 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31132320)
As a practical matter, if you call WN and book the extra seat as a COS, the GA is not going to stick you in a sizer.;)

Wrong. I’m not going to search for the threads of people who tried and were rejected as COS. However, they certainly exist.

Kevin AA May 24, 2019 1:44 am

A market for a fat suit that people wear just to fly Southwest Airlines! :D

elevatorgeek May 24, 2019 10:58 am

If they decide you don’t need the extra seat and cancel it, do you get a refund?

MSPeconomist May 24, 2019 11:04 am

You should: essentially the extra seat was denied boarding, although I wonder whether this is more common when the flight is oversold.

rsteinmetz70112 May 24, 2019 11:06 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek (Post 31135073)
If they decide you don’t need the extra seat and cancel it, do you get a refund?

You can get a refund even if you do need it.

SF1K May 26, 2019 9:57 am

The policy of only allowing COS to buy an extra seat is really annoying. I’m not sure why this is not seen as discrimination?