Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone buy an extra seat or just COS?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Can anyone buy an extra seat or just COS?

I have flown WN a few times as a COS and very much appreciate the extra space and pre-boarding. It's even nicer that they refund it after the flight!

It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon? I'd consider recommending this to friends when there are sales (Compared to $50 r/t for EBCI I'd rather pay for a second WGA fare and also have the extra space).
Old May 23, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I have flown WN a few times as a COS and very much appreciate the extra space and pre-boarding. It's even nicer that they refund it after the flight!

It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon? I'd consider recommending this to friends when there are sales (Compared to $50 r/t for EBCI I'd rather pay for a second WGA fare and also have the extra space).
Yes - you are free to buy another seat (or two to get a row to yourself)....but you will not get a refund of the extra seat if you are NOT a COS.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Yes - you are free to buy another seat (or two to get a row to yourself)....but you will not get a refund of the extra seat if you are NOT a COS.
Not sure this is true... (ability to buy another seat or 2)
Old May 23, 2019, 12:56 pm

Yeah, don't think you can, the GA isn't going to scan multiple boarding passes for a single PAX, don't know if you can even buy 2 boarding passes under same RR account (outside of the COS process).
Old May 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Gig103
It got me wondering, ignoring the refund that is only for COS, can anyone buy an XS and the preboard and seat reservation coupon?
Nope.

WN C.O.C. 4.a.3
It is the Passenger’s responsibility to notify Carrier of any unique seating needs. In accordance with Section 6, Carrier may refuse to transport individuals who are unable or unwilling to comply with Carrier’s seating requirements. Purchase of more than one seat for use by a single Passenger for the sole purpose of ensuring additional personal space is prohibited, except in limited circumstances when the Carrier, in its discretion, permits it.
FindAWay likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Tanic
Nope.

WN C.O.C. 4.a.3
Thanks for finding the appropriate rule for me
Tanic, ursine1 and FindAWay like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
That rule does not indicate what it takes to buy a COS ticket.

I have been called a fata$$ by my brother. Does that qualify for COS?

Apparently not... just found these FAQ on the WN site.

Simple answer - if the armrest can not be raised or lowered... you get a sign.

oops - link : https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...olicy_faq.html
mendezka likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a practical matter, if you call WN and book the extra seat as a COS, the GA is not going to stick you in a sizer.
Boraxo, Lehava, GK8 and 2 others like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
About $35 on Amazon. Cheaper than most BS upgrades and probably pays for itself in EBCI fees after two flights. About $35 on Amazon. Cheaper than most BS upgrades and probably pays for itself in EBCI fees after two flights.

Last edited by nsx; Jul 9, 2019 at 1:26 pm Reason: referral link redacted
Old May 23, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Often1
As a practical matter, if you call WN and book the extra seat as a COS, the GA is not going to stick you in a sizer.
Wrong. I’m not going to search for the threads of people who tried and were rejected as COS. However, they certainly exist.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
A market for a fat suit that people wear just to fly Southwest Airlines!
Old May 24, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
If they decide you don’t need the extra seat and cancel it, do you get a refund?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should: essentially the extra seat was denied boarding, although I wonder whether this is more common when the flight is oversold.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
If they decide you don’t need the extra seat and cancel it, do you get a refund?
You can get a refund even if you do need it.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
The policy of only allowing COS to buy an extra seat is really annoying. I’m not sure why this is not seen as discrimination?
ijgordon, milypan, polinka and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.