Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Cancellations Under Control?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
I live in the Dallas area and two years ago ditched AA out of DFW for SW out of Love. In the two years since only once have we had a problem and that was in April when my son and wife's flight from TPA back to DAL was canceled. They had to fly the next day, I went off to BOS, but I complained and all three of us got a $100 LUV vouchet. I fly quite a bit, am A-List, but it will take a lot of cancellations that cause me pain before I go back to AA and DFW. Don't like either......
Old May 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Interesting (to me anyway). 10:32 am Pacific..

Southwest 98 cancels, AA 128. No other US carrier even close to this. (Delta 2, United 2)

Perhaps AA mechanic difficulties hitting them?
Old May 23, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by murrieta
Interesting (to me anyway) Perhaps AA mechanic difficulties hitting them?
Why not? Apparently it worked for WN's mechanics recently. Powerful tool.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Why not? Apparently it worked for WN's mechanics recently. Powerful tool.
Get some popcorn, https://onemileatatime.com/american-...atens-airline/
Old May 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Interesting (to me anyway). 10:32 am Pacific..

Southwest 98 cancels, AA 128. No other US carrier even close to this. (Delta 2, United 2)

Perhaps AA mechanic difficulties hitting them?
Or the difficulties lie elsewhere. MDW weather may be the barricade du jour.

Southwest cancels 275, AA 28, UA 13, DL 5.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Today?
Old May 29, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
Today?
Yesterday.

AA and WN report 400+ cancellations today, each (12% / 10%, respectively).
Old May 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

I posted earlier in this thread about my reasons for sticking with WN, but recent events definitely have me questioning my loyalty. Wife and I were on the 6:50pm LGA-MDW yesterday which was cancelled, we were moved to the same 6:50pm flight today, also canceled. Now we are on the 10am tomorrow (Thursday), and my patience is being tested. There has definitely been some bad weather in NYC area but when I see WN with 420+ cancellations system-wide today and DL with just 3, I am not sure the companion pass and free changes are really worth it. My Citi Prestige trip protection is really going to be tested this trip. I’m not 100% confident they will cover things because I am the companion fare and only paid taxes and fees with the card. It uncovered, this could amount to $1k in extra costs that I would likely not have faced with DL.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I posted earlier in this thread about my reasons for sticking with WN, but recent events definitely have me questioning my loyalty. Wife and I were on the 6:50pm LGA-MDW yesterday which was cancelled, we were moved to the same 6:50pm flight today, also canceled. Now we are on the 10am tomorrow (Thursday), and my patience is being tested. There has definitely been some bad weather in NYC area but when I see WN with 420+ cancellations system-wide today and DL with just 3, I am not sure the companion pass and free changes are really worth it. My Citi Prestige trip protection is really going to be tested this trip. I’m not 100% confident they will cover things because I am the companion fare and only paid taxes and fees with the card. It uncovered, this could amount to $1k in extra costs that I would likely not have faced with DL.
Delta doesn't have any hubs in the middle of the country that have been getting hit by hail and tornadoes all week. Easier to delay a spoke than an entire hub operation. Not trying to make excuses, but WN has had some bad luck this week in DEN, MDW, MCI, DAL, etc.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Delta doesn't have any hubs in the middle of the country that have been getting hit by hail and tornadoes all week. Easier to delay a spoke than an entire hub operation. Not trying to make excuses, but WN has had some bad luck this week in DEN, MDW, MCI, DAL, etc.

WN has had some "bad luck" for going on almost 2 years now.
dlaue likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:16 am

My local airport (Ontario Ca) has no weather issues, yet WN has cancels every day and quite a few late flights every day.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:58 am

To add to my previous comment.

And I see Wednesday 5/29 - AA 437 cancels, WN 427, United 44, Delta 3.
Today Thursday 5/30 at 3:50 AM Pacific - WN already has 208 cancels, AA 46, United 16, Delta 1.

I will continue to book away from WN until this improves (which could be a while maybe when the 737-MAX reappears).
Old May 30, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I guess we all have different experiences. With close to 30 flights last year and about 12 this year so far, no cancels. Biggest delay I can remember is maybe an hour or so.

We fly out of Nashville.

Last big delay of maybe 2 hours was about 3 years ago, and we sat in Admirals Lounge getting well lubricated.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I had a flight cancelled. Rebooked. Then that one was cancelled all within a span of a minute today. I asked the agent what was going on, and he said it’s be a “hail H-A-I-L of a week from the plane damage in Denver.”
Old May 30, 2019, 11:48 am

My local airport (Ontario Ca) has no weather issues, yet WN has cancels every day and quite a few late flights every day.
The airplane flow for the day could begin or go through a station with challenges that day. The one downside to a point to point network. Your plane could be doing BWI-MDW-MCI-PHX-ONT-LAS and there's a massive snow storm in MDW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.