Wierd through (no change) flights

Old May 22, 2019, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Wierd through (no change) flights

I found 2 weird one stop same plane flights between Newark and Orlando
1. 27AUG19 WN2325 MCO-AUS-EWR
2. EWR-DEN-MCO (SAW IT BUT CAN'T FIND IT AGAIN SO DON'T HAVE A DATE OR A FLIGHT NUMBER)
Old May 22, 2019, 6:06 am

What's weird about them?
Old May 22, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing weird about them. There is likely very little direct traffic on those flights and they are likely almost all O&D between the city pairs, but WN schedules for aircraft utilization rather than connections.

Who would buy this? If, the time one goes to purchase a ticket, all that is left is this odd direct flight, that becomes the sole option.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
Nothing weird about them. There is likely very little direct traffic on those flights and they are likely almost all O&D between the city pairs, but WN schedules for aircraft utilization rather than connections.

Who would buy this? If, the time one goes to purchase a ticket, all that is left is this odd direct flight, that becomes the sole option.
Who would buy this?

People not paying attention.

Had a relative that bought Nashville-Orlando-Rochester one time. When I looked at her return flight, she got online and changed it.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:33 am

I go to MEM for work and there's no direct from ATL. So I'll take the ATL-TPA-MEM (no plane change) intentionally over a plane change in any other city; longer distance but shorter total travel time, eliminate an entire deplaning and lining up again and boarding again cycle, and no chance of missing my connecting flight

There's tons of these; today you can ATL-BWI-TPA without a plane change...if you want
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
I go to MEM for work and there's no direct from ATL. So I'll take the ATL-TPA-MEM (no plane change) intentionally over a plane change in any other city; longer distance but shorter total travel time, eliminate an entire deplaning and lining up again and boarding again cycle, and no chance of missing my connecting flight

There's tons of these; today you can ATL-BWI-TPA without a plane change...if you want
100% agree. I will go out of my way to take a one-stop with with no plane change over a connection, even if the first option gets in a bit later (if we're talking like 3+ hours later, that might be a different story). Usually you can move to a much better seat for the second flight, and you don't have to worry about misconnecting.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

I did not know that, for MCO-EWR DEN seems a bit more extreme though.

I understand thats how the plane is routed but its a little wierd to offer it as a flight.

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
100% agree. I will go out of my way to take a one-stop with with no plane change over a connection, even if the first option gets in a bit later (if we're talking like 3+ hours later, that might be a different story). Usually you can move to a much better seat for the second flight, and you don't have to worry about misconnecting.
Sure a 1 stop vs a connection, I havent been on one since the early 90s IAD-MCO-SRQ but yeah I would prefer doing the safer option too.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting - my first reaction to the OP was this question that you just answered. Does anyone know on average how many (or percentage) through passengers WN has on its flights?
Old May 22, 2019, 8:21 pm

I did ATL-MCO a couple weeks ago, flight was going onto Kansas City, there were 6 thrus
Old May 23, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

You're deluding yourself. You can still miss your connection. If ATL-TPA is delayed, WN could switch equipment for the TPA-MEM leg. Then whatever flight lost the equipment would get the plane you're on once it gets to TPA.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:39 am

An older but still relevant link for this discussion;

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ers/ba-p/42760
RobtheAggie likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by fiuchris
An older but still relevant link for this discussion;

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ers/ba-p/42760
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I can see the scheduled has changed (not surprising given that was 4 years ago). I can find WN 3 only for DAL-HOU. There is no nonstop ICT-DAL flight.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I liked direct flights when I was flying a lot. My "best" one in the odd category was ALB-MCO-BNA on a Saturday. It was the first weekend of Spring Break in parts of New York and the last weekend of spring break in Nashville. It was like a trip to summer camp.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by justhere
You're deluding yourself. You can still miss your connection. If ATL-TPA is delayed, WN could switch equipment for the TPA-MEM leg. Then whatever flight lost the equipment would get the plane you're on once it gets to TPA.
Wow, you mean flights (or anything else) don't always go as planned 100% of the time?!?!?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Wow, you mean flights (or anything else) don't always go as planned 100% of the time?!?!?
As you are the one that said "and no chance of missing my connecting flight", you might want to ask yourself that question. I can only comment on what you write. I'm not a mind reader.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.