Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

Old May 23, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by lougord99

Kiosks are almost always faster than the a-list line for checking bags and pre-check is almost always faster than any priority line for TSA
Ah- OK, "situational" changes vs. published ones.

I have CLEAR and Pre so that part doesn't apply, but I'm really starting to agree with you WRT Kiosking it vs. the "Priority" line to the counter- which has on more than one occasion left me standing a lot longer than I'd think you'd want to have your best customers to have to.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:51 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lougord99
I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.
For me, not having to remember at T-24 is high value, and once you add same-day standby and boarding after the A group, it's worth it to me. I fly intra-CA primarily and being able to hop on an earlier flight when my day ends earlier is a huge benefit for me. Even for only an hour flight, I appreciate being able to be handed a C boarding pass for a last minute change but still grab an aisle or window when I board after the A group.

I always make A list on segments, not miles, and I'm typically close enough to only need to add a segment or two to put me over the top (we've mastered the art of maximizing the fun of the OAK-LAS day trip on one of the first two Saturdays in December!).
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:22 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KC
For me, not having to remember at T-24 is high value, and once you add same-day standby and boarding after the A group, it's worth it to me. I fly intra-CA primarily and being able to hop on an earlier flight when my day ends earlier is a huge benefit for me. Even for only an hour flight, I appreciate being able to be handed a C boarding pass for a last minute change but still grab an aisle or window when I board after the A group.

I always make A list on segments, not miles, and I'm typically close enough to only need to add a segment or two to put me over the top (we've mastered the art of maximizing the fun of the OAK-LAS day trip on one of the first two Saturdays in December!).
This pretty much captures my experience with obtaining A-list and its value as an intra-CA flyer, as someone who also qualifies via segments. (Though I've learned the art of making a weekday OAK-LGB run in Nov/Dec...but I do like the Vegas idea!)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:26 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ryw
This pretty much captures my experience with obtaining A-list and its value as an intra-CA flyer, as someone who also qualifies via segments. (Though I've learned the art of making a weekday OAK-LGB run in Nov/Dec...but I do like the Vegas idea!)
I can highly recommend it! First flight out on Saturday morning, head straight to your favorite brunch buffet and eat / drink till you're stuffed, walk it off all afternoon with whatever Vegas entertainment you love, early dinner, last flight home!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Please list where there is a WN lounge..

spoiler alert - there aren't any that I have ever heard of
I pair WN flying with Priority Pass lounges from time to time.

In the U.S., they're often dingy lounges that aren't really worth really paying for, but good for some basic munchies and a couple beers before a flight.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by pinniped
I pair WN flying with Priority Pass lounges from time to time.

In the U.S., they're often dingy lounges that aren't really worth really paying for, but good for some basic munchies and a couple beers before a flight.
Yes, we use PP lounges and Amex lounges. The poster earlier mentioned a WN lounge - which there are of course a grand total of ZERO.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Older thread.. but just wanted to confirm that only flights count towards A-List?

No hotel points which are good for CP?
No referral bonus points, which are good for CP?

Any other way to get points for A- List?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:15 pm

There are some credit cards that give you tier qualifying points. Cant remember all off hand but I know the Chase Perf Business you get a list points for every so much spend if that makes sense.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Older thread.. but just wanted to confirm that only flights count towards A-List?

No hotel points which are good for CP?
No referral bonus points, which are good for CP?

Any other way to get points for A- List?
The Chase WN card, believe its the $99 version, 1500 TQP for every $10,000 spent to max of 15,000 points. I did the max on one card and some on the business version to get AL+ one year before I just flew BS fares exclusively. It was easier for me due to a business and the CVS Vanilla Reload craze a few years back. It can push you over the edge if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.