Booked Hawaii using points, need to change

Old May 20, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Booked Hawaii using points, need to change

Booked WN to Hawaii using points in Aug and now need to change flights to a week later...How do I do this?

There is nothing in the same buckets and in fact, all the point reservations are highly inflated...

Appreciate if any one has any ideas.?
Old May 20, 2019, 5:58 pm

Nothing special about Hawaii; your change options are the same as any other destination
Old May 20, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You change and book at the current price.

Same with ALL booked tickets.

Or just cancel and have funds available for a year. (usually)
Old May 20, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You change and book at the current price.

Same with ALL booked tickets.

Or just cancel and have funds available for a year. (usually)
it was on points. Poster gets their points back.
flyer4512 and ursine1 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Sorry, I know how to make a change. I want to move my flights out week out but "not at current rates". Waiting for another sale, schedule change or anyone has heard
that WN will offer another free change period.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by sggolf
Sorry, I know how to make a change. I want to move my flights out week out but "not at current rates". Waiting for another sale, schedule change or anyone has heard
that WN will offer another free change period.
There is no way to do what you are asking besides the options that you listed (sale or schedule change). I think it's unlikely that there will be "another free change period," however you can always hope.

This isn't your specific situation, but any time I end up stuck with a flight that I can no longer use I still keep it until the time of the flight. A schedule change can save you, or also an extreme delay (I think anything over 2 hours would cover you). I believe it used to be that for points bookings you could just no-show and the points would automatically redeposit, however that seemed risky to me so if the flight was on time I'd cancel an hour or two beforehand to make sure everything was on the up-and-up. I realize, however, that this is not your specific case (you still want to fly, but on a later date). Just cross your fingers for a schedule change at this point. If you have a ton of points you could try booking your desired flight with points as a placeholder and then if your original flight ends up with a change, cancel the new points booking and have them move the old flight to the newly-desired date. I'm not 100% sure if that would work but it might be worth trying if you have lots of banked points.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:50 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Others have reported in the Hawaii thread that fares can become very low a few days before travel. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by nsx
Others have reported in the Hawaii thread that fares can become very low a few days before travel.
It's still occurring but very sporadically. For example OGG to OAK two days from now is $139 while other WGA fares are in the $300 range.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Others have reported in the Hawaii thread that fares can become very low a few days before travel. Maybe you'll get lucky.
But have they become low a week out? I haven't seen a report to indicate that, although multiple short moves might be possible with points.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:17 am

Book the new flight at the high rate and hope it drops in price/points a few days before departure, then make the change
Old May 22, 2019, 8:56 am

OAK-HNL last minute deals look to have dried up; have been checking for days and not seeing anything under $400 last minute
Old May 22, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by dmbolp
OAK-HNL last minute deals look to have dried up; have been checking for days and not seeing anything under $400 last minute
Interestingly eastbound flights are last minute cheap. I would have thought WN was holding back westbound seats until the last minute wx forecasts were available. Maybe pax are staying in the islands and never returning.

HNL-OAK this week:

Old May 26, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
Interestingly eastbound flights are last minute cheap. I would have thought WN was holding back westbound seats until the last minute wx forecasts were available. Maybe pax are staying in the islands and never returning.

HNL-OAK this week:

No more. Right now HNL-OAK shows:

$599
$599
$599
$599
$599

It's two weeks from now that it has a price in the range you captured. On Jun 9, it shows $214.

But then I'm checking on a holiday weekend Sunday morning, and you were checking on a Wednesday afternoon. So maybe it's only at certain times of week?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.