Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flt canceled, traveling with guitar - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

D was scheduled to fly on 3894 today from LGA to DEN. She's bringing her guitar on board and had paid for early bird check in so she could put it in an overhead bin. Early this morning she got a refund notice on EB check in, and then a cancel notice for her flight. (Inbound on that aircraft was also shown as canceled.) She managed to get rebooked on a late afternoon flight..but with a high C boarding pass.

Any suggestions?
Old May 19, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Buy a gate upgrade?
Often1 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing other than a gate UG. Also, very unlikely that, presuming it's in a hard case, that a sympathetic FA won't help stow it.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It is very rare on WN that a flight has to send luggage back off the plane. Yes, it happens, but I usually watch last arrivals find room.

Still.... if a concern, I would do the gate upgrade - $30-$45 and you board A1-a15
Old May 19, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Gate upgrade is really cheap insurance for a musical instrument.

She could first explain her situation to the GA. While not likely, it’s not impossible that they would help her board early because of the extenuating circumstances.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

She got a gate upgrade for $50. Thanks!
NoStressHere, twitch76 and drooley like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
It is not likely that you could ... but just in case, don't switch to United. Because, as everybody knows ... United Breaks Guitars:

lupine likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by FCfree
It is not likely that you could ... but just in case, don't switch to United. Because, as everybody knows ... United Breaks Guitars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Hey thats my line, I swear when I read the title "Flt Canceled, traveling with guitar-Suggestions?" and immediately said to myself "Yeah don't fly United"
lupine likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Hey thats my line, I swear when I read the title "Flt Canceled, traveling with guitar-Suggestions?" and immediately said to myself "Yeah don't fly United"
My first thought was when my acquaintance Joe Guam entertained a group of delayed pax with his ukulele.

Old May 28, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Since there is time to kill with the change, play music (on the guitar) and sing in front of the terminal, collect donations and pay for a better position. If a great singer, a ticket in business class on a better airline.

Watch out for cops and security guards.

Alternative, put padding on it, pretend it's a crutch and preboard.
nsx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.